Steve Ballard Answers My Comment:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Ballard Answers My Comment:

My comment about how Robin Miller and Gordon Kirby are part of CCWS' propaganda machine. I really think an ethical line has been crossed by the series, the respective journalists, and their publications. Steve doesn't, but at least he answered my question.

Link here (you have to scroll down a bit):

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...S0106/51010006

John Oreovicz, Gordan Kirby and Robin Miller are bigger "fans" of Champ Car than the IRL.

They'll all give the IRL it's due when the rest of the sporting world does as well, (especially Robin as of late) but are all more apt to bash the IRL and write puff pieces about Champ Car simply because they hate TG, and feel that he and the IRL have ruined openwheel racing in this country.

The fact that Champcar pays them is just icing on the cake.

I honestly believe that if they had no formal association with Champcar that they'd still be writing the same types of articles anyway.

Comment

Why didn't you mention Bruce Martin's escapades in an IMS Courtesy Vehicle, or the fact that Racer's Jeff Olson has done work for the IRL? What about Bob Jenkins on SPEED News? Whose signature is on the checks he gets for sitting in the PA Booth during the month of May?

Comment

[IMG]But Champ Car isn't employing former journalists, they're buying off current journalists and the publications they represent. [/IMG]

Things have sure changed since I was taught about journalistic integrity in high school.

I would have a problem with this no matter what series or issue we are talking about. Commentary and inside opinion is one thing, but
        journalists are nuetral. At least they are supposed to be.

They report the facts and leave the slant out of it. At least they are supposed to.

In a perfect world that might work, but it ain't perfect. A little opinion and slant is going to slip through no matter what, but what's happened with the motorsports media is a little like incest.
        "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob
          Why didn't you mention Bruce Martin's escapades in an IMS Courtesy Vehicle,
          Sounds like a fun story. Care to elaborate?

What about Bob Jenkins on SPEED News? Whose signature is on the checks he gets for sitting in the PA Booth during the month of May?
          Let me know when Bob Jenkins suggests a helicopter crash would improve the sport.
          "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Neither Martin or Jenkins do what the gang of four do. The gang of four writes pieces slamming the IRL that run on CCWS official website. I call that a negative propaganda campaign.

Those same pieces then run in their respective "objective" publications. It gives the appearance of "The IRL having more negative stories this year," to Steve Ballard and other objective reporters.

To me, it's really crossing an ethical line that journalists shouldn't cross. The gang of four will argue that they're independent contractors and can't earn enough writing covering racing that they have to take the paycheck from Champcar. A few people do get rich on journalism; most people take vows of poverty to be journalists.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelG
              The gang of four will argue that they're independent contractors and can't earn enough writing covering racing that they have to take the paycheck from Champcar.
              Wow. Kind of like that girl who stands on the corner down the street all night.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                Sounds like a fun story. Care to elaborate?
                http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.a...5&nav=0Ra7Zxxy

Comment

Indycool and I were trying to figure out who wrote that. Good question-well written.

Comment

Thanks, Joebob. Quite a story.

The more I read the crazier that story got. I had to scroll back to the top to make sure it wasn't a satire site!

I would have to say that guy qualifys for an Alexander Dumass award.

A few years ago we were sitting in a McDonald's drive through after a night dive. Yeah, it was night, so when this guy flew by at 100mph with no left front wheel on the car there was a huge shower of sparks. He ran the redlight and kept on going. We never heard anything more about it, but he must have ben in a hurry.

Comment

OK, this was was so much fun, let's break it down:
                      A respected racing journalist
                      Make that "formerly"
                      faces charges of drunk driving and resisting arrest after a police chase on the north side early Tuesday morning.
                      OK. so far it ain't so bad.
                      Bruce Martin, an ESPN correspondent, is in town covering the race. The car he was driving was totaled.
                      Uh, oh. Maybe this is more serious than I thought.
                      It’s easy to spot the bright yellow pace vehicles around town.
                      Hey, I've got an idea. Maybe we can run from the cops. They will never see us in this thing once we blend into traffic.
                      The police report says Martin's pace vehicle, assigned to him for the month, was dragging one of its front tires underneath it with sparks flying.
                      Ahh, no one will notice that.
                      The two-mile pursuit ended on west 56th Street, but Martin refused to get out of the car.
                      Obviously too drunk to stand up.
                      One deputy broke out a window......
                      At what point when the officer has the baton drawn back do you figure he isn't bluffing?
                      and used a taser on him.
                      I just spit coffee out my nose!
                      He then failed a field sobriety test..........
                      No snit?
                      “He's facing resisting law enforcement, public intoxication and operating a vehicle while intoxicated,” said Captain Phil Burton, Marion County Sheriff’s Dept.
                      You think?
                      The manufacturer loans the cars to respected and trusted high-profile individuals.
                      I guess that's over for this guy.
                      The speedway says it has input as to who receives them.
                      It's all Tony George's fault.
                      “It is a risk in providing support vehicles like this. It's been going on for years.
                      Well, the cops ought to be getting used to it by now.
                      There is a risk involved in providing cars to individuals,”
                      Especially if they're drunks!
                      After that, authorities say he was involved in a hit and run accident at Westfield and Kessler which damaged the car, totaling it.
                      But he was still able to run from the police with it!!! Wheeeeeeeeeee!
                      If convicted he faces up to six years in jail and $25,000 in fines.
                      I can't type though all the tears.............. Come on, Joebob, this has got to be a parody.
                      The Speedway says Martin’s car has been returned to the manufacturer.
                      Maybe what was left of it was!

Comment

Despite my distaste for Miller, Kirby, et al, I have always felt their limited audience had very little effect on the actual popularity of IRL, CART, CCWS, etc.
                        However they do stir up a lot of adrenaline among the most passionate fans on both sides.

FWIW
                        Miller was always one to throw jabs at Nascar and look what happened to them.
                        Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

I no longer go to the CCWS web site or the Speed TV web site, and guess what?

No Robin Miller!

Just think about it, Mr. Important Journalist, who can only be found on two web sites.

And avoided at all of the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by jdessar
                            I no longer go to the CCWS web site or the Speed TV web site, and guess what?

No Robin Miller!

Just think about it, Mr. Important Journalist, who can only be found on two web sites.

And avoided at all of the rest.
                            When one leaves a trail of burning bridges one finds himself on an island.

SCB

Comment

Doc,
                              That has to be one of the funniest posts I've ever read.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X