Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Am attendance thread... ;)

Originally posted by SPEED
    With well in excess of 100,000 race fans expected, the inaugural Rolex Series visit south of the border is likely to also be the largest crowd to witness a North American sports car race in more than 30 years. In addition to the close and competitive racing that has become a hallmark of the Rolex Series, those fans will also see team and driver championships decided in both the Daytona Prototype and GT
    So, now we know why all those folks are in Mexico!

Whats good for the goose....

Linky
    Brian W Keske
    bwkdesign.wordpress.com

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by bkeske
    So, now we know why all those folks are in Mexico!

Whats good for the goose....

Linky
    Hey, better be careful bkeske. Next thing you know, people around here will start to build math models based on the manner in which GrandAm announce their attendances.

I think it's great that Champcar has reached out to NASCAR, ALMS and GrandAm to help re-establish business relationships. It's as much a part of growth of the series as is car counts, sponsors, et al.

Hope the Prototypes put on a good show down there.
    "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by mesquite
      Hope the Prototypes put on a good show down there.
      I promise that's the last thing in the world you need to worry about. The Daytona Prototypes have never put on a stinker.

Even though the field is a little disappointing in size, the main contenders will all be there. After the first lap the championship will in all likelyhood be over, so with the gloves off I expect we will be seeing a hell of alot of action.

Personally, I can't wait, and I hope Diaz wins so the Mexican crowd has something to go beserk over.
      "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

I dunno Doc, this years Paul Revere 250 was a fairly banal race, with all of the mayhem, long caution periods, and the Leitzinger/EFR team running away with it. But generally I agree, the Rolex series puts on the best shows in N. American road racing. Indycar on ovals, Rolex on roads, is about as good as it gets IMHO.
        Proud owner of a Dave DeSpain bobblehead!

Comment

With well in excess of 100,000 race fans expected, the inaugural Rolex Series visit south of the border is likely to also be the largest crowd to witness a North American sports car race in more than 30 years.
          What a load of bull.

Sebring:

More than 100,000 are expected during race week, which has developed many monikers over the years including "Spring Brake," the "Woodstock of Motorsports" and "The Super Bowl of American Sports Car Racing."
          http://www.americanlemans.com/News/A...spx?NewsID=849
          http://www.americanlemans.com/News/A...spx?NewsID=841

Comment

He, he ... this didn't take long.
            "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by hfoto
              I dunno Doc, this years Paul Revere 250 was a fairly banal race...........
              When compared to the rest of the year, maybe, but we sure had a great time. Get with me before the Daytona tests and I'll see if I can get you in for free. It's only a few dollars but they all count. I'de invite you to ride with us, but we don't get rolling until about 1pm. My friend is cronically late, but I love him anyway.

From where we were sitting in the International Horsehoe all we saw was action. Admittedly, not all of it was good action, but it seemed every lap something was going on.

.... with all of the mayhem, long caution periods,
              The mayhem wasn't so bad as much as the long delays in getting everything cleaned up. Remember, this was right before they cracked down on the rough driving, and the drivers were particularilly wild at this race. It was sure fun to watch though.

and the Leitzinger/EFR team running away with it.
              Boy, not we're getting spolied when six seconds is considered a runaway!

Butch and Max ran the last 25 laps or so with the gap between them growing and shrinking every lap as they went through the lapped traffic, so at least to me it looked like a pretty even contest. Butch got away clean on the restart and Max had to deal with one of the Racer's Group cars. After that the gap was six seconds and it more or less stayed there, like I say, give or take a second here and there accounting for lapped traffic.

But generally I agree, the Rolex series puts on the best shows in N. American road racing. Indycar on ovals, Rolex on roads, is about as good as it gets IMHO.
              Yeah, IMHO as well, but it would be pretty hard to deny. Honestly, between the two series, I have never seen anything like it. I'm really having a hard time believing that it's so good right now. It's so good it can't last forever, so let's enjoy it while everything is so good.
              "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by SportscarBruce
                What a load of bull.
                Well, there's alot of that going around, but you were replying about Sebring having a big crowd, so I'll address that.

Sebring is a bit of an abirrittion though. When the FIA GT series came and had an Octoberfest weekend with the PSR (now IMSA) WSC cars we only had about 5-10,000 there. Without the big spring break party it seemed to lose something, but the racing and the cars were astounding. I actually preferred that show to the 12 hours, but it was a pretty bleak weekend for the promoters who had to pay Bernie for bringing the FIA championship over here.

Now, Sebring is about as close as it gets to a home track for me, but objectively I don't think there are that many people who go just to see the cars go around. Of course, it counts because the people paid to get in, but let's not kid ourselves that the race fans are overwhelmed by the partiers.

There's a big contingent that is just there to drink, drug, fight and errrrrrr...........you know, in public. It's spring break and it's a big party. That is always going to draw in alot of people, especially considering what a hotel room in (for example) Clearwater during spring break goes for. The $85 Super ticket gives you a place to camp and party for four full days, five if you count Sunday. You can't get a room for that in Florida during spring break, even for a single night. OK, maybe in Yee Haw Junction, but you won't find a cheap room anywhere there is a big party.

Now, I'm no attendance expert, but Bill Ousler is, and he wrote in a recent column in Sportscar Pros that said outside of Sebring and the Petite, ALMS numbers aren't much better than Grand American. Don't shoot me. That's merely what Bill Ousler is saying.

You'll have to dig a bit, but it's in this article:

http://www.sportscarpros.com/across-...es/default.htm

So, I'm under no delusions that us sportscar fans are rather odd ducks of motorsports enthusiasts, especially in nascarland. I'm just happy we have great racing so close to home and quality telecasts of the other races.

Believe it or not, I'm also pretty happy I can go to a Grand American race and not get run over by 100,000 people, but as good as the racing has been I'm sure that will change..

As far as Mexico, for right now I'm sure the Mexicans are enthused about the champcar race, but once they see the Grand American I think they will all be fans. If nothing else, it won't hurt the series to put on a great race in fornt of 100,000 potential new fans.

Comment

Thirty some odd years ago, Bill Ousler was a young curmugeon. I learned to add plenty of salt to his uniformly negative view of just about everything in the sport. I've never been sure if he's really that sour or that he only writes about things that annoy him.
                  "I have examined all the known superstitions of the world and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology."
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnson999
                    I learned to add plenty of salt to his uniformly negative view of just about everything in the sport.
                    Then he probably reads Track Forum.

Comment

Doc will now join with me and part with the Cogs (Grand Am fans)...and agree that professional sports car racing racing isn't a 'niche sport' with two events in North America drawing 100K?

Comment

Originally posted by SportscarBruce
                        Doc will now join with me and part with the Cogs (Grand Am fans)...and agree that professional sports car racing racing isn't a 'niche sport' with two events in North America drawing 100K?
                        Oh, I dunno. I kind of enjoy being "special."

Comment

let the Cogs be

Comment

Originally posted by RusH
                            let the Cogs be
                            But...ever whoooop at the Gibbons down at the zoo? Great fun.

wwwooOOOOOOoooppp wooooooOOOOOOooooppp

Comment

"The Daytona Prototypes have never put on a stinker."

Not to dump water on all this excitment, but some of the early DP racers were out run by GT's for overall.

Then, they stunk.

Today, it's in the eye of the beholder.

It sure beats the ALMS for a less than gazillionaire to run.
                              Last edited by rocketdoc; 11-05-2005, 11:12 PM.
                              Claude

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X