Will Penske be in LeMans in 2006?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Penske be in LeMans in 2006?

With the new Porsche LMP2 which had a fantastic race at Laguna, I hope he tries LeMans which IMO is the greatest race in the world. I just wish that the Porsche was in the LMP catagory.

It will be there... and it doesnt need to be in the LMP1 catagory... its got enough speed to compete overall as an LMP2. Alot is in the corner of the R9, if it comes.

Comment

I predict that the Penske/Porsche will be there, & will give the LMP1 cars a run for their money.

Comment

No official announcements (invites) will be made for some time, and the team was not able to compete (and possibly win) at Petit that could have garnered an 'auto invite'. So...who knows? There is always Sebring to impress.

Chances are the ACO will bow to Porsche, who will try to lobby their way into the race....but the ACO has done some pretty 'screw ball' things before.

.....and the new Audi will be ready, you can almost guarentee that, along with that entry being invited. Looks like a turbo diesel from all reports. Unfortunately we do not know yet if an American team will get their hands on one until mid-season. So, Champion may sit next years Lemans out; although something else could develop there. They are the defending champs after all.

....oh....and look for a Porsche LMP1 entry for '07....
        Brian W Keske
        bwkdesign.wordpress.com

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite."
        -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

That would be great. Imagine Sam, Helio and other driver from ALMS wins Lemans!

Is there race conflict? I believe there is.
          "The IRL has let me down.... 2002 was the last year of the IRL... They pushed out the guys that they created the sport for..." - Billy Boat

Comment

Sam and Helio would be highly doubtfull for any entry.

Porsche calls the shots with the drivers right now.
            Brian W Keske
            bwkdesign.wordpress.com

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite."
            -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by bkeske
              Porsche calls the shots with the drivers right now.
              Judging by their choices I think they've probably got the two best guys they had available to them, and they are part of the Porsche "family" anyway.

It's sure going to be interesting. Maybe they can tweek the Porsche to where it can challenge the R8, but when the R9 gets here we could be in for another 5 years of five-ringing it.

Unless Porsche turns it into an LMP1. Then who knows? Again, it's going to be interesting.
              "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Agreed Doc.

But I find in highly doubtfull that Porsche will not make a run at the LMP1 class in '07 once they have this LMP2 customer car sorted out. I could be wrong, but I would not be alone
                Brian W Keske
                bwkdesign.wordpress.com

-- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Agreed Doc.

But I find in highly doubtfull that Porsche will not make a run at the LMP1 class in '07 once they have this LMP2 customer car sorted out. I could be wrong, but I would not be alone
                  I don't have a link, but I remember they said that was the plan. The only problem I have with it is that it isn't an LMP1 customer program. That could give the series the huge privateer contingent it deserves to have. Right now only Dyson can get enough out of the Lola to keep it interesting, but a Porsche customer LMP1 would be competitive and probably stay that way for several years. there are any number of teams who could take it to the front with a package like that.
                  "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by 225_at_Indy
                    That would be great. Imagine Sam, Helio and other driver from ALMS wins Lemans!

Is there race conflict? I believe there is.
                    Race is listed as June 17-18, 2006, no IRL on schedule at this time for Father's Day weekend.
                    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                    "They're criminals"
                    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Doc, I think everyone was somewhat scratching their head when the program was announced as an LMP2 effort. But, in reality the LMP2 class 'is suppose' to more oriented towards the privateer vs. the LMP1 catagory where there is a better chance of 'factory' efforts thus more costly to compete. Porsche has proven that they can sell a privateer a product which has the ability to be cometitive 'out of the box' in GT2. And I see this direction as the same, except in the LMP catagory.

But I agree, I would love to see Porsche develop an LMP1 product as a customer car as well, i.e. the Porsche 962/956 efforts we all loved so much. But (in addition to Holbert's death) that program could not (would not) compete as well when Jaguar, Nissan, Toyota, etc. came to 'play'. And Porsche kinda 'backed-off' in the ol'Camel GT series. My feeling is that Porsche sees the LMP2 catagory as a way for a 'customer' to maintain their competitiveness within a prototype class....kinda like the Camel Light class.

Regardless, as you say, it will be interesting to see how this evolves, but I am looking foward to seeing a Porsche go for an overall win in the highest class at LeMans again, and I don't think we will have to wait long. And if that does happen, the 'Champions' and 'Dysons' of the racing world may just take a good close look at such a machine if became availiable for purchase....and maybe this whole picture will evolve again into my personal favorite racing period; the Camel GTP days.

But heck, for those where it makes more 'sense', there is always Grand Am
                      Brian W Keske
                      bwkdesign.wordpress.com

-- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Doc, I think everyone was somewhat scratching their head when the program was announced as an LMP2 effort.
                        It surprised me too, but I think Porsche and Audi are trying not to go head to head. They are sister companies so it doesn't do any good to have one humiliating the other.
                        But, in reality the LMP2 class 'is suppose' to more oriented towards the privateer................
                        Which is why I would have rather seen Penske in LMP1. I don't think I'de want to buy a Courage for next year and have to go up against that.
                        Porsche has proven that they can sell a privateer a product which has the ability to be cometitive 'out of the box' in GT2.
                        The only time I can remember Porsche building a customer car that wasn't competitive was the 1996 model 911 GT1 that customers had for 1997. This, I think was more a result of the rules changes that hobbled the car rather than any shortcoming in Porsche's product.
                        But I agree, I would love to see Porsche develop an LMP1 product as a customer car as well, i.e. the Porsche 962/956 efforts we all loved so much. But (in addition to Holbert's death) that program could not (would not) compete as well when Jaguar, Nissan, Toyota, etc. came to 'play'.
                        Holbert had a composite monocoque sitting in his shop at the time of his tragic departure. Had that car seen the track, I'm sure Holbert would have made it a winner.

What made it impossible for Porsche to compete in the later days of Group C is there were so many 962s out there that they didn't dare build something new. If they had come out with a composite chassis, the data and development that car had would be virtually useless for the aluminum tubbed customer cars. Porsche pretty much had to struggle along with a car that was pretty long in the tooth, especially when the composite Jags came on the scene.
                        And Porsche kinda 'backed-off' in the ol'Camel GT series.
                        They had to. If they had stayed in the game they would have either had to find a way to make a 6 year old car competitive or cheeze off the customers by obsoleti9ng what they had with a new car. They really were kind of hamstrung.
                        My feeling is that Porsche sees the LMP2 catagory as a way for a 'customer' to maintain their competitiveness within a prototype class....kinda like the Camel Light class.
                        I'm afraid they will probably run all the customers off first. If they can get the car into production or maybe start taking orders, that would give the privateers a ray of hope and a reason to stay in the game.
                        Regardless, as you say, it will be interesting to see how this evolves, but I am looking foward to seeing a Porsche go for an overall win in the highest class at LeMans again, and I don't think we will have to wait long.
                        I'm with you on that but the R9 looks like it's going to be a killer. I just hope they put a roof on the thing and it's pretty.
                        And if that does happen, the 'Champions' and 'Dysons' of the racing world may just take a good close look at such a machine if became availiable for purchase
                        Dyson reportedly has already bought two Lolas and I don't think he would do that just to run another year. Champion apparently is in line for the first customer R9, which supposedly will be after Lemans.
                        ....and maybe this whole picture will evolve again into my personal favorite racing period; the Camel GTP days.
                        That would certainly be nice but I'm afraid the world has changed too much for that to ever happen again. All that unbridled technology just costs too much money.
                        But heck, for those where it makes more 'sense', there is always Grand Am
                        Well, it certainly makes more sense when it's your money that's getting burned! The factories can afford that kind of expense, at least until they start getting beat. The privateers have always been the backbone of the sport. No privateers = crappy series. This is why it's important to keep them in the game because the factories will inevitably leave..........and when it hurts the most too. Hopefully the Porsche will get..and keep..... alot of guys in the sport.

Comment

Can't argue with anything you say Doc. I am also hoping the Porsche allows many to stay in the ALMS wing of the sport as well.

Yep, Dyson has ordered a new Lola, which I can only imagine will be stuffed with the new AER twin turbo V8. But 'down the road', who knows? Again, I wasn't using Dyson as a possibility, more as an example.

Its going to be an interesting 'off-season'.

...BTW, it looks like the Pacific team (who abandoned their C5 effort) are going to run Riley's next year in the DP class. Good to see them continue. Bad to see there was no way for them to be competitive gainst the Pratt & Miller boy's, but then, it wasn't really expected. And *that* seems to be your point regarding a solid 'customer based' series, and there is allot of truth there.
                          Brian W Keske
                          bwkdesign.wordpress.com

-- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Great thread guys... Some of those points really bring back the memories!

I recall in the early 1990's the Camel GT cars were running faster than Indycars (at the same track) at the time. Those were some bad azz machines!

Does anyone know if pictures of the new Audi R9 exist on the net? The only thing I've been able to find are these of the concept road car, but not their LMP1 racecar.

Comment

The new Audi is shrouded in secrecy. Nobody has seen it except Audi folks.

Thay have 'quite' a facility (including test track) in Germany that is very very highly guarded. Rumor has it that testing has been done, but nobody has gotten close to it outside the factory.
                              Brian W Keske
                              bwkdesign.wordpress.com

-- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X