Marlboro replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlboro replacement?

Is it possible that Phillip Morris/Marlboro have this thing in mind when tobacco sponsorships end? Market this device instead?

Cigarette maker Philip Morris has developed an inhaler that could deliver a nicotine mist deep into the lungs, giving smokers a satisfying dose of the addictive drug without the carcinogens, gases and toxic metals that make tobacco smoke so dangerous.

Cloaked in secrecy, the device was invented nearly a dozen years ago at a time the tobacco industry was vigorously denying that nicotine was addictive, internal company documents show. It was part of an effort by the top cigarette maker to explore the possibility of offering a "clean" form of nicotine to those who can't or won't quit.

A nicotine inhaler probably would draw a mixed response, similar to the debate over offering clean needles to heroin users. Though some health professionals might object to any product that sustains nicotine dependence, many others say "clean" nicotine could be a powerful weapon in the fight against tobacco-related diseases.

For reasons Philip Morris declines to discuss, the project appears to have stalled. The company has been aggressively courting pharmaceutical companies to use the inhaler for therapeutic drugs, but its future as a cigarette alternative is a mystery.

"For competitive reasons, we do not comment on our future business plans," said Peggy Roberts, senior director of communications for Philip Morris USA, which is part of Altria Group Inc.

For Philip Morris, a nicotine inhaler would pose clear risks.

The company controls 50% of the U.S. cigarette market on the strength of its Marlboro brand, the world's most popular cigarette. An alternative product, if successful, could cannibalize Philip Morris' existing business — and possibly create a new public relations headache. Mitch Zeller, a former Food and Drug Administration official, said some might accuse the company "of getting smokers at both ends" and "keeping the customer in the franchise in a very clever way."

Unlike cigarettes, which are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, a tobacco-free nicotine product would face a long and costly government review, with uncertain results.

Yet, as it strives to improve its tattered image, Philip Morris could benefit by appearing to be part of the solution, some observers said.

"The cigarette manufacturers don't want to kill their customers," said Kenneth Warner, dean of the University of Michigan School of Public Health. "That's simply an unfortunate side effect of use of the product."

"If they can come up with a substitute that would capture the same-size market, they'd love it," Warner said. It would "save them a lot of legal fees" and "they'd feel more virtuous."

Since admitting the dangers of smoking a few years ago, Philip Morris has publicly pledged to lower the risks.
    link

Cigarette maker Philip Morris has developed an inhaler that could deliver a nicotine mist deep into the lungs, giving smokers a satisfying dose of the addictive drug without the carcinogens, gases and toxic metals that make tobacco smoke so dangerous.
    Disclaimer: Parody to express my absolute discust for the tobacco pimping death agents of cancer:

Maybe they can just come up with a time release injection you pay $500 a month for. No stinkey smoke , nasty ashes or even clumsy inhalers. Just pay your money, get you fix for the month and forget about it.

Either that or just put the nicotine in an iv bag you can drag along behind you on wheels. You know, kind of like they have in the hospital except you could decorate it in the colors of your favorite driver. I bet they'de sell a hell of a lot of the with them #3 on them.

Or how about a surgecially installed pump with a filler nozzle where your throat used to be before cancer took it out? Put it in Co2 bottles like a bicycle inflator and the nicotine can be delivered in one massive high pressure blast right into the bloodstream. Just have it knock the crap right out of you. Screw the thing into your neck, hit the button and then spaz around on the floor, shaking and foaming at the mouth for a half hour or so until you need another fix. Hey, you could take two trips on a one hour lunch break.

Or, have little nicotine fill up stations at every corner. Pay your $10, get in line and have a needle blast you in each arm when it's your turn, just like military innoculations.

We could always have nicotine "energy drinks." Put the stuff in coffee and people can cater to both addictions at once.

Hey, how about putting smaller doses in candy so the kids can get in on it too?

Nah. None of that will ever work. What fun is it if you can't get cancer anymore?
    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

i think i'll just stick with the cigarettes.

Comment

somehow this device loses the "cool" of lighting a smoke........

"hey, I'm an asthmatic, but a really KOOL asthmatic".........
        the man in expensive shoes

Comment

"The cigarette manufacturers don't want to kill their customers," said Kenneth Warner, dean of the University of Michigan School of Public Health. "That's simply an unfortunate side effect of use of the product."

if this guy really said that, it's the funniest line I've ever read and I'm assuming this clown is an M.D..........

Comment

Look at the numbers: Marlboro has over 50% of the US market. Since around 1/4 of adults are smokers, that means that something like 25 million Americans use their product. All day, every day. PM is not going to just walk away from that business.

Comment

Originally posted by numrounofan

if this guy really said that, it's the funniest line I've ever read and I'm assuming this clown is an M.D..........
              I'm assuming this remark was made with a strong air of sarcasm. What he is saying is that PM and the other tobacco companies would love to sell something that didn't kill people. Dead customers don't spend and they serve as a deterrent to new customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                Look at the numbers: Marlboro has over 50% of the US market. Since around 1/4 of adults are smokers, that means that something like 25 million Americans use their product. All day, every day. PM is not going to just walk away from that business.

most of their customers are young women.........it curbs their appetites and it's safer than Anorexia or Bulimia

(it's why they use horses in their ads)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                  I'm assuming this remark was made with a strong air of sarcasm. What he is saying is that PM and the other tobacco companies would love to sell something that didn't kill people. Dead customers don't spend and they serve as a deterrent to new customers.

HUGE air of sarcasm, directed at the "dean of the school of public health U of M."

the guy is in a position of public trust and he makes a statment like this..........if it's comming from a PM PR guy........well, that's THEIR job........

Comment

I never met an anti-smoker who did not have at least 10 other lifestyle choices that are equally bad.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC
                      I never met an anti-smoker who did not have at least 10 other lifestyle choices that are equally bad.

better be careful Doc....becuase posting on raing forums will kill ya

Comment

Why can't they just sell it as a means of quiting or cutting down on tobacco - sort of like the patch? (With a wink) So that way they sell peeps what they really want - the nicotine effect. No one is going to count how many of these things a guy buys.
                        Randy

"Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

"Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.

Comment

You mean like cycling, swimming and lifting weights?
                          Originally posted by Ken
                          better be careful Doc....becuase posting on raing forums will kill ya
                          It can certainly kill your buzz.
                          "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Name them.
                            "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                            ~~Groucho Marx
                            I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

One here bucko, and I eat right, mountain bike and lift weights regularly, walks about 50 miles a week just getting around, benches 190 pounds, leg presses 775 pounds, swims often, don't drink much and of course, doesn't smoke. Be careful what you say man.....
                              "You couldn't find a car you liked in Germany?

No......I couldn't find a speed limit I liked in America."

Proud Fan of the IZOD Indycar World Series

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X