Bridgestone/Michelin looking to get into NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgestone/Michelin looking to get into NASCAR

When Goodyear's exclusive contract with NASCAR runs out, apparently at the end of 2007, both Bridgestone and Michelin are expected to bid for the new deal.
    (Winston Salem Journal)(10-31-2005)

That is very good news for nascar, the nascar drivers and the poor wretches who have fix all of the cars that get wrecked because of EXPLODING GOODYEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
    http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241

I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Comment

Sure is. And it'll cost Bridgestone/Firestone a pretty penny to do it. But Goodyear could not compete with Bridgestone/Firestone in CART or Indy Cars on either performance or reliability, so it turned tail and headed out the door to that exclusivity agreement with NASCAR. When it got that agreement, it decreased the number of compounds available to the teams and shortened up what it was spending on its program because it was the only show in town and could do so. And tire failures have cost many competitors since, leaving NASCAR competitors stuck with what they get.
      "The lunatic fringes on both sides need to be written off." -- stnky pete

Comment

Originally posted by mac miller
        That is very good news for nascar, the nascar drivers and the poor wretches who have fix all of the cars that get wrecked because of EXPLODING GOODYEARS!!!!!!!!!!!
        Now they get to fix exploding Michelins.
        It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Yep, I hope Bridgestone gets the contract. I'm tired of the exploding Goodyears and since I was in the stands for the USGP, I don't trust Michelin.
          DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Michelin does have a presence in South Carolina, with a test center and possibly manufacturing, so their bidding on the contract seems plausible. Do you think the Firestone unions will show-up to Cup races with the "Black Flag Firestone" banners? I also think it would be ironic to see a Ford win with Firestones.
            It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

There will be a single tire supplier for NASCAR and with the contract coming up they'll pick the one with the biggest offer. Of course Mike Mulhern throws out a lot of 'could be' stuff that never pans out.

Looking deeper say Firestone decides that the open wheel world didn't respond to their merger inititives, gets miffed and puts all their eggs in the NASCAR basket. Goodyear could return to open wheel racing, probably be the title sponsor for the IndyCar series for less than they spend on NASCAR. Out of the question of course but a lot of things looked that way until they happened and put Robin Miler's name in front of it saying it could be and there would be 5 pages of rambling about it.
              "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
              "They're criminals"
              "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Let me some it up:

Every business, everywhere, is interested in NASCAR and will be bidding on whatever contract/sponsorship they can possibly get.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy
                  Yep, I hope Bridgestone gets the contract. I'm tired of the exploding Goodyears and since I was in the stands for the USGP, I don't trust Michelin.
                  Were you in the stands for the 1985 Michigan 500, at least on the first weekend?

this is racing. You can't trust anyone.
                  "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Cygni
                    Let me some it up:

Every business, everywhere, is interested in NASCAR and will be bidding on whatever contract/sponsorship they can possibly get.

Yes, that sums it up nicely.

Part of this, of course, is that F-1 is threatening to be a single-tire-make series as well. Michelin says it won't play that game because they desire competition--which makes Mulhern's speculation seem suspect because NASCAR is sold on single-make, too.

OTOH, 43 cars in Cup and Busch and some smaller number in Pickups and races numbering in the 30s per year is a LOT of tire sales--why wouldn't anyone bid on that business?

Comment

Because they arent really sales. Tires are purchased by the teams, yes, but it hardly defrays the cost of taking that contract for the manufacturer. Ask Goodyear. NASCAR costs money, lots of it. Sunoco doesnt make up for their sponsorship of Cup with pump sales at the end of pit road either.

Clearly, its worth it for them both. But i think its a double edged sword. Goodyears pounding in all forms of racing in the early 90's did nothing to make me want to buy their road product, nor do i want to get a set of aquatreds when i see the 9th right front failure at *insert 1.5mile high bank ISC track here*.

That SUMS it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                        Were you in the stands for the 1985 Michigan 500, at least on the first weekend?

this is racing. You can't trust anyone.
                        Never made it to the track. Checked into the hotel in Jackson, turned on the news and WHAM! No race tomorrow.

Still had fun in the Holidome that weekend, and made it back up the following for the race.
                        Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

Originally posted by lkchris
                          Yes, that sums it up nicely.

OTOH, 43 cars in Cup and Busch and some smaller number in Pickups and races numbering in the 30s per year is a LOT of tire sales--why wouldn't anyone bid on that business?
                          The money isn't in selling the tires to the teams, the money comes from advertising to the public that you supply tires to the teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigar1
                            The money isn't in selling the tires to the teams, the money comes from advertising to the public that you supply tires to the teams.

Yes sir! And who wouldn't want to run right out and buy a set of Goodyears after watching a five hour prime time infomercial featuring EXPLODING GOODYEAR after EXPLODING GOODYEAR at Charlotte........ I'm sure that the Goodyear Board of Directors and the company bean counters were very impressed, wondering why they were throwing millions of dollars down the toilet for negative publicity........

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
                            http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241

I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Comment

They were so embarassed that they quit? Just like Michelin after the US GP?

No, they'll keep their name out there until they don't believe the value of the promotion the series gives them is worth the cost of the program.

The Charlotte thing was retarded, Goodyear has no competition, and only has to make tires as realible as a tank of fuel.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X