Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penske switching to Honda

According to you know who.

SPEEDTV.com has learned that Penske is dropping Toyota for Honda for the 2006 season, which more or less leaves Toyota with only Chip Ganassi's team to combat the manufacturer that has won 26 of the last 33 races, back-to-back IRL titles and two consecutive Indianapolis 500s
    Speed

And while Toyota had great success in 2003 (Castroneves scored an Indy win and Scott Dixon earned the IRL crown),

Wasn't that deFerran in '03?

If this what it takes to get Hornish an Indy victory, I'm for it.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Hey, if what's reported is true, and Gannassi is the only team running Toyotas next year, does this put the picture of his haulers at CCWS HQ in new perspective?

I mean, if Toyota's reduced to only one team, what incentive do they have to spend the large amounts required to make their engine competitive with Hondas? Especially if they're done after the year?

Cosworth has a competitive ICS engine just lying around. More competitive than Toyota's at least. What's to stop Toyota (or Chip) from simply badging the Cossie for their last year in the IRL? Could be considerably cheaper. Maybe that's what the Chipster was talking to KK about.

Just IMO, of course.

Comment

Well, Panther, Foyt and Cheever are also going to need engines. As you've said, maybe Honda has told Chip and the others they can't supply them all. Honda takes Roger and adds to their stable. Toyota badges the Cosworth for one year and then in '07, we see what shakes out. All Honda/Ilmor? Or Honda/HPD against X/Ilmor and Y/Cosworth?

Comment

Originally posted by morden
          I mean, if Toyota's reduced to only one team, what incentive do they have to spend the large amounts required to make their engine competitive with Hondas?
          They only have to service two cars, and when you're doinjg an expensive development program that can be a huge blessing. All you have to do it look at how Porsche was hamstrung by having to keep their 956/962 customers happy and you'll see what i mean. The 962 was near the end of it's reasonable lifespan the moment they spawned it from the 956, but Porsche was forced to keep developing it because the customers would pitch a fit if the abandoned the old girl and built something modern and competitive. Actually, they did a damm remarkable job, but that's just how Porsche does it.

Cosworth has a competitive ICS engine just lying around. More competitive than Toyota's at least. What's to stop Toyota (or Chip) from simply badging the Cossie for their last year in the IRL?
          I believe the IRL would have to approve that move, in co-operation with it's other engine partners, much the same way they did when the cosworth replaced the Gen II.

Personally, I'de like to see toyota buy Chip out and let's gfet with the spec Honda motor program. It will be just loike when we had all Chevvfies except the nameplate will be different.

Just IMO, of course.
          Ditto
          "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Cheever says he's "contracted" to run Toyotas.

Comment

Cutting down to one team was what GM did for most of this year. It makes it a lot cheaper, seems to me. They could really just stop trying to improve the motor, and give Chip engineering, and chassis support. Toyotas were competitive on some of the road and shorter tracks this year.
              Randy

"Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

"Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.

Comment

Honda Performance Development's Robert Clarke admitted a few weeks ago that his company would be able to accomodate two more cars in '06 and Penske would be more than welcome because he left Honda on good terms after 2001.
                Now, we know RM can embellish just a little here and there, but Robert Clarke must've said something like that and it doesn't take a genius to figure out who's he referring to.

Ganassi is not looking at a very bright future in Indy style racing for '06 and beyond, especially for someone who is use to operating off others' donations. One of his two biggest(Why debate who's bigger) financial backers is gone after '06 the latest. The other, if anything, has been reducing over the years.

Oh, he could buy a Honda next year, and in '07 most likely have the right to get a spec one, buit somehow I think when Honda ships him the engine, they'll mistakenly stick the Japanese instructions in the crate or a push to pass button under the dashboard, I guess we forgot to tell Chip about it, or out of box, as-is display models go to Ganassi. Honda isn't going to lift a finger helping Chip out. At the time, Honda needed Rahal for entries, with Rahal's success,I'm sure all is well, Honda doesn't need Ganassi for anything.

If Toyota seriously wants to badge the cosworth, Lee White will talk to KK, he doesn't need to send Ganassi.

Most likely, Chip is talking to all out there, talking up all sides(Is he still convinced Chevy is staying?) looking for a sugar daddy, hoping something connects and he's in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                  Well, Panther, Foyt and Cheever are also going to need engines. As you've said, maybe Honda has told Chip and the others they can't supply them all. Honda takes Roger and adds to their stable. Toyota badges the Cosworth for one year and then in '07, we see what shakes out. All Honda/Ilmor? Or Honda/HPD against X/Ilmor and Y/Cosworth?
                  You are assuming Panther and Cheever find money to buy a lease for their IRL program. If they do, ... I'm not so sure they spend it on a Toyota.

Does it really matter what Foyt runs at this point?

Toyota badges the Cosworth ?? What is Toyota going to do with its own 3.0's ? Scrap them, and then take another hit for putting their name on a Cosworth? Nope ...

Do the words "Exit Stage Left" ring a bell ?
                  "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by mesquite
                    You are assuming Panther and Cheever find money to buy a lease for their IRL program. If they do, ... I'm not so sure they spend it on a Toyota.

Does it really matter what Foyt runs at this point?

Toyota badges the Cosworth ?? What is Toyota going to do with its own 3.0's ? Scrap them, and then take another hit for putting their name on a Cosworth? Nope ...

Do the words "Exit Stage Left" ring a bell ?
                    Cheever HAS a deal with Toyota for 2 cars in '06.
                    the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Originally posted by numrounofan
                      Cheever HAS a deal with Toyota for 2 cars in '06.
                      I guess this is a "stay tuned for further developments" situation.

Comment

Originally posted by rodneyh
                        Most likely, Chip is talking to all out there, talking up all sides(Is he still convinced Chevy is staying?) looking for a sugar daddy, hoping something connects and he's in the middle.
                        "Right now this thing needs help, both series are on the gurney, and added together they don't equal the Busch series," said Ganassi, who intends to expand his Nextel Cup effort to four cars next year.
                        jono

Comment

Originally posted by midtown

Wasn't that deFerran in '03?

If this what it takes to get Hornish an Indy victory, I'm for it.

well, the TF argument of no one knowing who won INDY sure applies to Robin Miller..........
                          the man in expensive shoes

Comment

I'm sure Toyota has contracts to supply engines, but so what? As this year has shown, that doesn't mean "competitive" engines. If you're Panther or Cheever looking to land a sponsor, what really do you have offer them as long as the team has no other option but a Toyota boat anchor? This is the kind of situation that the IRL's orginal no factory engine leasing rules were designed to prevent. You've got competitive teams with no other option but to run a dog with fleas engine. Good luck trying to get a sponsor that way.

Comment

It's Official

MARLBORO TEAM PENSKE TO USE HONDA POWER

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X