"The Chase" comes to the PGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Chase" comes to the PGA

It appears that despite not having much in common with NASCAR's Cup series, the PGA is going to copy its "playoff" system starting in '07 .

It's tough competing against the NFL!

Hey, it's proven to be a great idea.
    DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

It's a stupid idea. Worse than the DH or artificial turf or TV timeouts. Sounds like it was dreamed up by the guy who does the rules for 'Card Sharks.'

Comment

How does that work for golf where not everybody plays in every tournement?

I haven't decided whether I like the chase in NASCAR or not, so I'm not about to get behind the idea of exporting it.
        It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.- Phillipe Petit

Talent borrows, Genius steals. - Pablo Picasso

Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

Comment

PGA Tour to redefine its season

By DOUG FERGUSON
          AP GOLF WRITER

ATLANTA -- The PGA Tour might look like NASCAR in two years, with a season-long points race culminating with four blockbuster tournaments and a massive payoff to the winner.

PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem disclosed the radical changes Wednesday during his State of the Tour, although he said most of the details would not be completed until next year.

Starting in 2007, the new schedule will be built around the FedEx Cup.

The premise is for players to earn points from January through August, and those points then staggered to set the stage for a big finish. Finchem said there would be three tournaments leading to the conclusion at the Tour Championship, which will be played in September.

"We go so far into the football season, and so far into the fall, that we haven't been able to get the kind of strength we see in other sports," Finchem said. "We're the only major sport that doesn't have a playoff system."
          Golf is doomed-they are shortening their season for TV !

Link

Comment

Originally posted by Chitownfan
            Golf is doomed-they are shortening their season for TV !

Link
            They better get Tiger's OK. He's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
              It's a stupid idea. Worse than the DH or artificial turf or TV timeouts. Sounds like it was dreamed up by the guy who does the rules for 'Card Sharks.'
              I never understood the dh, hate it.

TV timeouts I can live with.

The 'chase' is about as contrived as the rest of the scoring, I don't see the problem.

Golf? Seems lika a natural evolution, doesn't it?

Did you know that Astro-turf was invented for the Astro dome by necessity? The original construction had clear glass in the dome so that real grass could be maintained. Problem was the grass didn't grow, and worse, the glare caused by the clear glass was blinding, not to mention the heat gain. They came up with Astro-turf in a Texas two-step, painted the windows, and the rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                I liked Card Sharks. How can you go wrong with a game show hosted by Bob Ewbanks?
                (also, I think that the No-Whammies guy hosted for a while)
                BRAWNDO - THE THIRST MUTILATOR...IT'S GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruok
                  I never understood the dh, hate it.

TV timeouts I can live with.

The 'chase' is about as contrived as the rest of the scoring, I don't see the problem.

Golf? Seems lika a natural evolution, doesn't it?

Did you know that Astro-turf was invented for the Astro dome by necessity? The original construction had clear glass in the dome so that real grass could be maintained. Problem was the grass didn't grow, and worse, the glare caused by the clear glass was blinding, not to mention the heat gain. They came up with Astro-turf in a Texas two-step, painted the windows, and the rest is history.
                  Actually, the clear glass worked for the grass. They painted the roof, then the grass started dying and then the rest of your story.
                  "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by mesquite
                    Actually, the clear glass worked for the grass. They painted the roof, then the grass started dying and then the rest of your story.
                    Learn something new everyday here.

Comment

My favorite iteration of artificial turf is the blue stuff they use at Boise State:

Comment

The DH isn't that bad. Been going strong in the AL for 30+ years. You want bad ideas in baseball, try diluting the playoffs with the wildcard crap and having the Brewers move to the NL (no surprise the owner is the commissioner) and leave an inbalance in both leagues.

And then there was this deal about an * on Roger Maris' home run mark (since taken away--thankfully).

Comment

I wonder if the IRL should'nt consider some sort of playoff ( I'm serious folks ) incorporating the "Triple Crown" we talk about here? Could there be the Indy 500 plus two more 500 mile races at the end of the season one East and one West coast with a multi million dollar grand prize?
                          Don't know how the qualifying would work, but it's a thought.
                          "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
                          -Norman Mailer-

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X