Beyond the Wheel / NFL Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond the Wheel / NFL Films

This has been bugging me for a while. I know there are many here who follow football as well as racing, so I figured this would be a good place to pose this question.

Has anybody beside me noticed the stark similarity (read:blatant ripoff) of the production style of Nascar: Beyond the Wheel to NFL films?

The Ultra-Slow motions shots, the booming John Facenda-like narration. Pretty much everything in that show is a carbon copy of NFL films-style work.

I have loved NFL films productions since I was a kid. Their style is original, distinctive and unique. Something just seems wrong about the total carbon-copy approach of Beyond the Wheel. I have no skin in this game, other than wondering if there is any originality left in the world.
    "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

I've noticed that too. It's not that there is *no* originality left in the world, it's just that marketing pays a *lot* more than originality. I'm not that old (relatively speaking) but I get the sense that the ratio wasn't always so out of whack as it is today.
    Paul Woods
    IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Comment

I guess what bugs me is that the style ripoff is so complete. Slow motion shots of cooler-slinging fans walking into the stadium (track), of flags blowing in the wind, etc, etc.

The funny part is that the ultra slow-motion shots of stock cars going around the oval do not translate into drama on the screen the way they do when you see the grimacing face of a runnning back -- cleats kicking up sod flying up behind his head -- coming staright into your living room; they just look silly.
      "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

The really sad part is that they are making so much of this trash that SPEED will have even more filler to squeeze sportscars and openwheelers off their programming.

Maybe that's actually good in a way. Maybe someone will start up a network that broadcast something besides nascar all the stinking time. We had that with SPEED before they sold out.
        "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

While I'm on the NASCAR / NFL similarity rant;the proliferation of "talking head" shows to analyze the weekly Cup races is becoming laughable. At least the NFL panel shows have something like 16 different games to analyze. The plethora of NASCAR panel talkers are all analyzing one race. How many different shows to I need to tell me, "Rusty pitted on lap 32 and took 2 tires instead of four...."???

Maybe that's actually good in a way. Maybe someone will start up a network that broadcast something besides nascar all the stinking time. We had that with SPEED before they sold out.
          Terry Lingner he's our man. If he can't do it, nobody can.

Comment

Originally posted by mdkiel
            Has anybody beside me noticed the stark similarity (read:blatant ripoff) of the production style of Nascar: Beyond the Wheel to NFL films?

I noticed it the first time I watched the show and thought, what a great idea! I don’t see a thing wrong with emulating a successful format. I guess unless it’ NASCAR doing the emulating.

Comment

"On the frozen tundra of Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte, North Carolina......"

Nah, it don't work.

Comment

..."Stewarts crew stopped using it's probing taps against Kasey Kahne's Dew Crew and began to hit them with sledgehammer blows..."

Nope, you're right. Dudn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by NIMBUS
                  I don’t see a thing wrong with emulating a successful format. I guess unless it’ NASCAR doing the emulating.
                  You noticed that, huh?
                  DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by NIMBUS
                    I guess unless it’ NASCAR doing the emulating.

You noticed that, huh?
                    Yeah, but you both completey missed the point that we were starting to have fun with this....Lighten up Francis (x2)

Comment

we were starting to have fun with this....Lighten up Francis (x2)
                      So was I.

Comment

Yeah, but you both completey missed the point that we were starting to have fun with this....Lighten up Francis (x2)
                        I guess you missed my winky things and smiley faces.
                        DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy
                          I guess you missed my winky things and smiley faces.
                          By George (pun intended) I believe you're right. Failing eyesight and all that

But...you haven't presented your best John Facenda/NASCAR line yet...

Comment

What's next, slo-mo shots of cheerleaders with their jingling....uh, never mind.

Comment

...we can always hope. By the way, what do cheerleaders have that "jingles"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X