Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports Movies - $$$'s

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sports Movies - $$$'s

    Well,

    Since we were talking sports movies I found this at:

    http://www.privateclubs.com/Archives...portsChart.pdf

    Not sure how accurate it is. I don't see Driven anywhere gotta believe it made more than $6mil. But, maybe whoever made this list didn't think it was a sports movie


    Title Year Stars Sport Box Office
    1 Rocky 1976 Sylvester Stallone Boxing $337,945,400
    2 Rocky III 1982 Sylvester Stallone Boxing $261,157,000
    3 Rocky IV 1985 Sylvester Stallone Boxing $217,278,000
    4 Heaven Can Wait 1978 Warren Beatty, Julie Christie Football $214,218,500
    5 Waterboy, The 1998 Adam Sandler Football $210,053,300
    6 Rocky II 1979 Sylvester Stallone Boxing $208,373,900
    7 Jerry Maguire 1996 Tom Cruise, Renée Zellweger Football $208,324,400
    8 League of Their Own, A 1992 Tom Hanks, Geena Davis Baseball $159,098,400
    9 Longest Yard, The 1974 Burt Reynolds Football $141,195,510
    10 Remember the Titans 2000 Denzel Washington Football $131,618,000
    11 Space Jam 1996 Michael Jordan, Bill Murray Basketball $125,057,900
    12 Chariots of Fire 1981 Ben Cross, Ian Charleson Olympics $123,173,800
    13 Seabiscuit 2003 Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges Racing $122,470,800
    14 Days of Thunder 1990 Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman Motor Sports $119,999,600
    15 DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story 2004 Ben Stiller Dodgeball $114,326,700
    16 White Men Can’t Jump 1992 Woody Harrelson, Wesley Snipes Basketball $112,818,900
    17 Main Event, The 1979 Barbra Streisand, Ryan O’Neal Boxing $104,698,000
    18 Semi-Tough 1977 Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristofferson Football $102,389,700
    19 Cool Runnings 1993 John Candy Olympics $102,004,900
    20 Field of Dreams 1989 Kevin Costner Baseball $99,649,000
    21 Bad News Bears, The 1976 Walter Matthau, Tatum O’Neal Baseball $92,853,300
    22 Black Stallion, The 1979 Mickey Rooney, Kelly Reno Racing $92,466,100
    23 Caddyshack 1980 Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield Golf $90,950,400
    24 Any Given Sunday 1999 Al Pacino, Cameron Diaz Football $88,410,700
    25 Natural, The 1984 Robert Redford Baseball $87,626,500
    26 Rookie, The 2002 Dennis Quaid Baseball $79,894,000
    27 Rookie of the Year 1993 Thomas Ian Nicholas Baseball $79,516,100
    28 Slap Shot 1977 Paul Newman Hockey $77,094,200
    29 Major League 1989 Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen Baseball $77,016,200
    30 Bull Durham 1988 Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon Baseball $76,023,600
    31 Mighty Ducks, The 1992 Emilio Estevez Hockey $75,089,000
    32 Tin Cup 1996 Kevin Costner Golf $74,811,600
    33 Champ, The 1979 Jon Voight, Faye Dunaway Boxing $74,467,000
    34 Angels in the Outfield 1994 Danny Glover Baseball $73,792,900
    35 D2: The Mighty Ducks 1994 Emilio Estevez Hockey $66,997,100
    36 Miracle 2004 Kurt Russell Hockey $64,378,100
    37 Varsity Blues 1999 James Van Der Beek, Jon Voight Football $63,931,200
    38 North Dallas Forty 1979 Nick Nolte, Mac Davis Football $63,795,600
    39 Gus 1976 Ed Asner, Don Knotts Football $63,051,700
    40 Ali 2001 Will Smith Boxing $61,509,000
    41 Friday Night Lights 2004 Billy Bob Thornton Football $61,227,100
    42 Rocky V 1990 Sylvester Stallone Boxing $59,435,100
    43 Hurricane, The 1999 Denzel Washington Boxing $57,764,700
    44 Finding Forrester 2000 Sean Connery Basketball $56,322,000
    45 Like Mike 2002 Lil Bow Wow, Morris Chestnut Basketball $54,354,100
    46 Happy Gilmore 1996 Adam Sandler Golf $53,932,100
    47 Radio 2003 Cuba Gooding Jr. Football $53,268,000
    48 Raging Bull 1980 Robert De Niro Boxing $53,262,700
    49 Bad News Bears in Breaking Training 1977 William Devane Baseball $52,601,200
    50 Replacements, The 2000 Keanu Reeves, Gene Hackman Football $50,962,100
    51 Sandlot, The 1993 Tom Guiry, Mike Vitar Baseball $48,102,600
    52 Ice Castles 1978 Robby Benson, Lynn-Holly Johnson Skating $47,232,000
    53 Hoosiers 1986 Gene Hackman Basketball $45,019,600
    54 Major League II 1994 Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen Baseball $44,986,800
    55 One and Only, The 1978 Henry Winkler, Kim Darby Wrestling $44,418,300
    56 Hardball 2001 Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane Baseball $43,626,700
    57 Eddie 1996 Whoopi Goldberg Basketball $43,601,200
    58 Wildcats 1986 Goldie Hawn Football $43,502,200
    59 Black Sunday 1977 Robert Shaw, Bruce Dern Football $43,418,700
    60 For Love of the Game 1999 Kevin Costner Baseball $42,531,200
    61 Breaking Away 1979 Dennis Christopher, Dennis Quaid Cycling $40,178,900
    62 Necessary Roughness 1991 Scott Bakula, Hector Elizondo Football $38,292,000
    63 Cutting Edge, The 1992 D.B. Sweeney, Moira Kelly Hockey $37,144,100
    64 Hot Dog … The Movie 1984 Dan O’Callahan Skiing $37,109,200
    65 Legend of Bagger Vance, The 2000 Matt Damon, Will Smith Golf $35,207,800
    66 Kingpin 1996 Woody Harrelson, Randy Quaid Bowling $34,761,100
    67 Blue Chips 1994 Nick Nolte Basketball $34,495,600
    68 Program, The 1993 James Caan, Halle Berry Football $34,159,400
    69 Rudy 1993 Sean Astin Football $33,740,900
    70 All the Right Moves 1983 Tom Cruise Football $33,591,000
    71 Bend It Like Beckham 2003 Keira Knightley Soccer $33,137,100
    72 D3: The Mighty Ducks 1996 Emilio Estevez Hockey $31,887,900
    73 Love and Basketball 2000 Glenndon Chatman, Jess Willard Basketball $31,280,500
    74 Air Bud 1997 Kevin Zegers Basketball $30,960,200
    75 Mr. Baseball 1992 Tom Selleck Baseball $30,896,800
    76 Air Up There, The 1994 Kevin Bacon Basketball $30,863,500
    77 Sudden Death 1995 Jean-Claude Van Damme Hockey $28,450,000
    78 Little Giants 1994 Rick Moranis, Ed O’Neill Football $28,359,100
    79 He Got Game 1998 Denzel Washington, Ray Allen Basketball $28,236,000
    80 Babe, The 1992 John Goodman Baseball $25,874,700
    81 Fan, The 1996 Robert De Niro, Wesley Snipes Baseball $25,874,700
    82 Youngblood 1986 Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze Hockey $25,566,900
    83 Stroker Ace 1983 Burt Reynolds Motor Sports $25,339,700
    84 Over the Top 1987 Sylvester Stallone, Robert Loggia Arm Wrestling $25,215,700
    85 Big Green, The 1995 Steve Guttenberg Soccer $25,035,100
    86 No Holds Barred 1989 Hulk Hogan Wrestling $24,890,400
    87 Victory 1981 Sylvester Stallone Soccer $23,971,200
    88 Above the Rim 1994 Duane Martin, Tupac Shakur Basketball $23,784,900
    89 Big Lebowski, The 1998 Jeff Bridges, John Goodman Bowling $22,847,400
    90 Vision Quest 1985 Matthew Modine Wrestling $22,472,700
    91 Ladybugs 1992 Rodney Dangerfield, Jackee Harry Soccer $21,891,700
    92 Mr. 3000 2004 Bernie Mac Baseball $21,811,200
    93 Summer Catch 2001 Freddie Prinze Jr., Jessica Biel Baseball $21,428,800
    94 Fish That Saved Pittsburgh, The 1979 Jonathan Winters, Julius Erving Basketball $20,257,700
    95 6th Man, The 1997 Marlon Wayans, Kadeem Hardison Basketball $19,761,400
    96 Everybody’s All-American 1988 Jessica Lange, Dennis Quaid Football $18,880,600
    97 Little Big League 1994 Luke Edwards, Timothy Busfield Baseball $18,020,200
    98 Better Off Dead 1985 John Cusack Skiing $17,810,500
    99 Caddyshack II 1988 Jackie Mason, Robert Stack Golf $17,625,700
    100 O 2001 Mekhi Phifer, Julia Stiles Basketball $17,384,500
    101 Wimbledon 2004 Kirsten Dunst, Paul Bettany Tennis $16,862,600
    102 Bad News Bears Go to Japan, The 1978 Tony Curtis Baseball $16,610,200
    103 Oxford Blues 1984 Rob Lowe, Ally Sheedy Rowing $16,068,400
    104 Juwanna Mann 2002 Miguel A. Nunez Jr., Vivica A. Fox Basketball $14,447,200
    105 All the Marbles 1981 Peter Falk Wrestling $14,285,900
    106 Ready to Rumble 2000 David Arquette, Scott Caan Wrestling $14,119,000
    107 Sunset Park 1996 Rhea Perlman Basketball $14,118,900
    108 Gladiator 1992 James Marshall, Cuba Gooding Jr. Boxing $13,646,200
    109 Air Bud: Golden Receiver 1998 Kevin Zegers, Tim Conway Football $13,385,100
    110 Best of Times, The 1986 Robin Williams, Kurt Russell Football $12,893,900
    111 Celtic Pride 1996 Damon Wayans, Dan Aykroyd Basketball $12,856,500
    112 Ski Patrol 1990 Martin Mull Skiing $12,387,400
    113 Players 1979 Ali MacGraw, Dean Paul Martin Tennis $11,976,900
    114 Personal Best 1982 Mariel Hemingway Track $11,846,300
    115 Cookout, The 2004 Ja Rule, Tim Meadows Basketball $11,771,600
    116 Stealing Home 1988 Mark Harmon, Blair Brown Baseball $11,155,800
    117 Great White Hype, The 1996 Samuel L. Jackson, Jamie Foxx Boxing $11,124,600
    118 Hoop Dreams 1994 William Gates, Arthur Agee Basketball $11,054,800
    119 Mystery, Alaska 1999 Russell Crowe, Hank Azaria Hockey $10,747,000
    120 Three Wishes 1995 Patrick Swayze, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio Baseball $9,919,300
    121 Gymkata 1985 Kurt Thomas Gymnastics $9,911,500
    122 Play It to the Bone 1999 Woody Harrelson, Antonio Banderas Boxing $9,697,700
    123 BASEketball 1998 Trey Parker, Matt Stone Baseball $9,199,900
    124 Eight Men Out 1988 John Cusack Baseball $8,486,200
    125 American Anthem 1986 Mitch Gaylord Gymnastics $8,019,600
    126 Boxer, The 1997 Daniel Day-Lewis Boxing $7,829,600
    127 Let It Ride 1989 Richard Dreyfuss Racing $7,691,700
    128 Les Boys 2 1998 Marc Messier, Remy Girard Hockey $7,221,400
    129 Diggstown 1992 James Woods, Lou Gossett Jr. Boxing $7,155,900
    130 Les Boys 1997 Marc Messier, Remy Girard Hockey $6,156,500
    131 Ed 1996 Matt LeBlanc Baseball $6,143,300
    * Rankings are based on U.S. receipts. To make comparisons over time, dollar figures have been adjusted for inflation by converting past sales into
    2004 ticket prices. The cutoff date was Dec. 31, 2004.
    We flipped our finger to the King of England
    Stole our country from the Indians
    With god on our side and guns in our hands
    We took it for our own!

  • #2
    Originally posted by step33T
    Well,

    Since we were talking sports movies I found this at:

    http://www.privateclubs.com/Archives...portsChart.pdf

    Not sure how accurate it is. I don't see Driven anywhere gotta believe it made more than $6mil. But, maybe whoever made this list didn't think it was a sports movie


    Title Year Stars Sport Box Office
    1 Rocky 1976 Sylvester Stallone Boxing $337,945,400
    2 Rocky III 1982 Sylvester Stallone Boxing $261,157,000
    3 Rocky IV 1985 Sylvester Stallone Boxing $217,278,000
    4 Heaven Can Wait 1978 Warren Beatty, Julie Christie Football $214,218,500
    5 Waterboy, The 1998 Adam Sandler Football $210,053,300
    6 Rocky II 1979 Sylvester Stallone Boxing $208,373,900
    7 Jerry Maguire 1996 Tom Cruise, Renée Zellweger Football $208,324,400
    8 League of Their Own, A 1992 Tom Hanks, Geena Davis Baseball $159,098,400
    9 Longest Yard, The 1974 Burt Reynolds Football $141,195,510
    10 Remember the Titans 2000 Denzel Washington Football $131,618,000
    11 Space Jam 1996 Michael Jordan, Bill Murray Basketball $125,057,900
    12 Chariots of Fire 1981 Ben Cross, Ian Charleson Olympics $123,173,800
    13 Seabiscuit 2003 Tobey Maguire, Jeff Bridges Racing $122,470,800
    14 Days of Thunder 1990 Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman Motor Sports $119,999,600
    15 DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story 2004 Ben Stiller Dodgeball $114,326,700
    16 White Men Can’t Jump 1992 Woody Harrelson, Wesley Snipes Basketball $112,818,900
    17 Main Event, The 1979 Barbra Streisand, Ryan O’Neal Boxing $104,698,000
    18 Semi-Tough 1977 Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristofferson Football $102,389,700
    19 Cool Runnings 1993 John Candy Olympics $102,004,900
    20 Field of Dreams 1989 Kevin Costner Baseball $99,649,000
    21 Bad News Bears, The 1976 Walter Matthau, Tatum O’Neal Baseball $92,853,300
    22 Black Stallion, The 1979 Mickey Rooney, Kelly Reno Racing $92,466,100
    23 Caddyshack 1980 Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield Golf $90,950,400
    24 Any Given Sunday 1999 Al Pacino, Cameron Diaz Football $88,410,700
    25 Natural, The 1984 Robert Redford Baseball $87,626,500
    26 Rookie, The 2002 Dennis Quaid Baseball $79,894,000
    27 Rookie of the Year 1993 Thomas Ian Nicholas Baseball $79,516,100
    28 Slap Shot 1977 Paul Newman Hockey $77,094,200
    29 Major League 1989 Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen Baseball $77,016,200
    30 Bull Durham 1988 Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon Baseball $76,023,600
    31 Mighty Ducks, The 1992 Emilio Estevez Hockey $75,089,000
    32 Tin Cup 1996 Kevin Costner Golf $74,811,600
    33 Champ, The 1979 Jon Voight, Faye Dunaway Boxing $74,467,000
    34 Angels in the Outfield 1994 Danny Glover Baseball $73,792,900
    35 D2: The Mighty Ducks 1994 Emilio Estevez Hockey $66,997,100
    36 Miracle 2004 Kurt Russell Hockey $64,378,100
    37 Varsity Blues 1999 James Van Der Beek, Jon Voight Football $63,931,200
    38 North Dallas Forty 1979 Nick Nolte, Mac Davis Football $63,795,600
    39 Gus 1976 Ed Asner, Don Knotts Football $63,051,700
    40 Ali 2001 Will Smith Boxing $61,509,000
    41 Friday Night Lights 2004 Billy Bob Thornton Football $61,227,100
    42 Rocky V 1990 Sylvester Stallone Boxing $59,435,100
    43 Hurricane, The 1999 Denzel Washington Boxing $57,764,700
    44 Finding Forrester 2000 Sean Connery Basketball $56,322,000
    45 Like Mike 2002 Lil Bow Wow, Morris Chestnut Basketball $54,354,100
    46 Happy Gilmore 1996 Adam Sandler Golf $53,932,100
    47 Radio 2003 Cuba Gooding Jr. Football $53,268,000
    48 Raging Bull 1980 Robert De Niro Boxing $53,262,700
    49 Bad News Bears in Breaking Training 1977 William Devane Baseball $52,601,200
    50 Replacements, The 2000 Keanu Reeves, Gene Hackman Football $50,962,100
    51 Sandlot, The 1993 Tom Guiry, Mike Vitar Baseball $48,102,600
    52 Ice Castles 1978 Robby Benson, Lynn-Holly Johnson Skating $47,232,000
    53 Hoosiers 1986 Gene Hackman Basketball $45,019,600
    54 Major League II 1994 Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen Baseball $44,986,800
    55 One and Only, The 1978 Henry Winkler, Kim Darby Wrestling $44,418,300
    56 Hardball 2001 Keanu Reeves, Diane Lane Baseball $43,626,700
    57 Eddie 1996 Whoopi Goldberg Basketball $43,601,200
    58 Wildcats 1986 Goldie Hawn Football $43,502,200
    59 Black Sunday 1977 Robert Shaw, Bruce Dern Football $43,418,700
    60 For Love of the Game 1999 Kevin Costner Baseball $42,531,200
    61 Breaking Away 1979 Dennis Christopher, Dennis Quaid Cycling $40,178,900
    62 Necessary Roughness 1991 Scott Bakula, Hector Elizondo Football $38,292,000
    63 Cutting Edge, The 1992 D.B. Sweeney, Moira Kelly Hockey $37,144,100
    64 Hot Dog … The Movie 1984 Dan O’Callahan Skiing $37,109,200
    65 Legend of Bagger Vance, The 2000 Matt Damon, Will Smith Golf $35,207,800
    66 Kingpin 1996 Woody Harrelson, Randy Quaid Bowling $34,761,100
    67 Blue Chips 1994 Nick Nolte Basketball $34,495,600
    68 Program, The 1993 James Caan, Halle Berry Football $34,159,400
    69 Rudy 1993 Sean Astin Football $33,740,900
    70 All the Right Moves 1983 Tom Cruise Football $33,591,000
    71 Bend It Like Beckham 2003 Keira Knightley Soccer $33,137,100
    72 D3: The Mighty Ducks 1996 Emilio Estevez Hockey $31,887,900
    73 Love and Basketball 2000 Glenndon Chatman, Jess Willard Basketball $31,280,500
    74 Air Bud 1997 Kevin Zegers Basketball $30,960,200
    75 Mr. Baseball 1992 Tom Selleck Baseball $30,896,800
    76 Air Up There, The 1994 Kevin Bacon Basketball $30,863,500
    77 Sudden Death 1995 Jean-Claude Van Damme Hockey $28,450,000
    78 Little Giants 1994 Rick Moranis, Ed O’Neill Football $28,359,100
    79 He Got Game 1998 Denzel Washington, Ray Allen Basketball $28,236,000
    80 Babe, The 1992 John Goodman Baseball $25,874,700
    81 Fan, The 1996 Robert De Niro, Wesley Snipes Baseball $25,874,700
    82 Youngblood 1986 Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze Hockey $25,566,900
    83 Stroker Ace 1983 Burt Reynolds Motor Sports $25,339,700
    84 Over the Top 1987 Sylvester Stallone, Robert Loggia Arm Wrestling $25,215,700
    85 Big Green, The 1995 Steve Guttenberg Soccer $25,035,100
    86 No Holds Barred 1989 Hulk Hogan Wrestling $24,890,400
    87 Victory 1981 Sylvester Stallone Soccer $23,971,200
    88 Above the Rim 1994 Duane Martin, Tupac Shakur Basketball $23,784,900
    89 Big Lebowski, The 1998 Jeff Bridges, John Goodman Bowling $22,847,400
    90 Vision Quest 1985 Matthew Modine Wrestling $22,472,700
    91 Ladybugs 1992 Rodney Dangerfield, Jackee Harry Soccer $21,891,700
    92 Mr. 3000 2004 Bernie Mac Baseball $21,811,200
    93 Summer Catch 2001 Freddie Prinze Jr., Jessica Biel Baseball $21,428,800
    94 Fish That Saved Pittsburgh, The 1979 Jonathan Winters, Julius Erving Basketball $20,257,700
    95 6th Man, The 1997 Marlon Wayans, Kadeem Hardison Basketball $19,761,400
    96 Everybody’s All-American 1988 Jessica Lange, Dennis Quaid Football $18,880,600
    97 Little Big League 1994 Luke Edwards, Timothy Busfield Baseball $18,020,200
    98 Better Off Dead 1985 John Cusack Skiing $17,810,500
    99 Caddyshack II 1988 Jackie Mason, Robert Stack Golf $17,625,700
    100 O 2001 Mekhi Phifer, Julia Stiles Basketball $17,384,500
    101 Wimbledon 2004 Kirsten Dunst, Paul Bettany Tennis $16,862,600
    102 Bad News Bears Go to Japan, The 1978 Tony Curtis Baseball $16,610,200
    103 Oxford Blues 1984 Rob Lowe, Ally Sheedy Rowing $16,068,400
    104 Juwanna Mann 2002 Miguel A. Nunez Jr., Vivica A. Fox Basketball $14,447,200
    105 All the Marbles 1981 Peter Falk Wrestling $14,285,900
    106 Ready to Rumble 2000 David Arquette, Scott Caan Wrestling $14,119,000
    107 Sunset Park 1996 Rhea Perlman Basketball $14,118,900
    108 Gladiator 1992 James Marshall, Cuba Gooding Jr. Boxing $13,646,200
    109 Air Bud: Golden Receiver 1998 Kevin Zegers, Tim Conway Football $13,385,100
    110 Best of Times, The 1986 Robin Williams, Kurt Russell Football $12,893,900
    111 Celtic Pride 1996 Damon Wayans, Dan Aykroyd Basketball $12,856,500
    112 Ski Patrol 1990 Martin Mull Skiing $12,387,400
    113 Players 1979 Ali MacGraw, Dean Paul Martin Tennis $11,976,900
    114 Personal Best 1982 Mariel Hemingway Track $11,846,300
    115 Cookout, The 2004 Ja Rule, Tim Meadows Basketball $11,771,600
    116 Stealing Home 1988 Mark Harmon, Blair Brown Baseball $11,155,800
    117 Great White Hype, The 1996 Samuel L. Jackson, Jamie Foxx Boxing $11,124,600
    118 Hoop Dreams 1994 William Gates, Arthur Agee Basketball $11,054,800
    119 Mystery, Alaska 1999 Russell Crowe, Hank Azaria Hockey $10,747,000
    120 Three Wishes 1995 Patrick Swayze, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio Baseball $9,919,300
    121 Gymkata 1985 Kurt Thomas Gymnastics $9,911,500
    122 Play It to the Bone 1999 Woody Harrelson, Antonio Banderas Boxing $9,697,700
    123 BASEketball 1998 Trey Parker, Matt Stone Baseball $9,199,900
    124 Eight Men Out 1988 John Cusack Baseball $8,486,200
    125 American Anthem 1986 Mitch Gaylord Gymnastics $8,019,600
    126 Boxer, The 1997 Daniel Day-Lewis Boxing $7,829,600
    127 Let It Ride 1989 Richard Dreyfuss Racing $7,691,700
    128 Les Boys 2 1998 Marc Messier, Remy Girard Hockey $7,221,400
    129 Diggstown 1992 James Woods, Lou Gossett Jr. Boxing $7,155,900
    130 Les Boys 1997 Marc Messier, Remy Girard Hockey $6,156,500
    131 Ed 1996 Matt LeBlanc Baseball $6,143,300
    * Rankings are based on U.S. receipts. To make comparisons over time, dollar figures have been adjusted for inflation by converting past sales into
    2004 ticket prices. The cutoff date was Dec. 31, 2004.

    I'm afraid that you would have to square a number for "Driven"....
    Claude

    Comment


    • #3
      Here are stats for Driven ...



      If CD’s were spun in the opposite direction, would it say everything backwards?

      "Fun is where it's at. That's why you have to be there!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Damn...Driven LOST 40 million before even figuring in marketing costs.

        I knew it was a stinker, but that should have gotten someone fired.
        Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hardscrabble
          Damn...Driven LOST 40 million before even figuring in marketing costs.

          I knew it was a stinker, but that should have gotten someone fired.
          Those are not the final numbers ... have to take in Cable, DVD, PPV, VHS sales

          It probably made money in the end, but not as much as they would have liked
          If CD’s were spun in the opposite direction, would it say everything backwards?

          "Fun is where it's at. That's why you have to be there!"

          Comment


          • #6
            To do the 2004 adjustment :

            Driven

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ICantDrive55
              Those are not the final numbers ... have to take in Cable, DVD, PPV, VHS sales

              It probably made money in the end, but not as much as they would have liked
              I can almost guarantee that it did not make money in the end.

              $72,000,000 Production budget
              $ 5,000,000 Prints (it did open on 2905 screens, so it needed 2905 prints)
              $24,000,000 Advertising & Marketing
              ------------
              $101,000,000 Total Cost

              Now the actual income can get a bit tricky, as it depends what the studio/theater split on gross ticket sales was. It could have been as high as 100%/0% or as low as 75%/25%. It was probably a slidding scale (just a guess) but the studio would get the most on the opening week and then fall as each week went on.) But for the sake of argument, lets say the studio's deal with the theaters was 100% for the entire time the film was in theaters (which is a deal that I don't think even Star Wars films get, so...)

              $33,000,000 Gross Box Office Reciepts
              $ 5,000,000 Network TV run (Iffy...maybe it was packaged with other films)
              $ 7,500,000 Wholesale reciepts on 1 million DVD/VHS sales
              $ 5,000,000 Misc. cable TV runnings
              $ 5,000,000 Misc. Income (Airline showings/Soundtrack/Video Games/ect.)
              -----------
              $55,500,000 Total Income

              Which brings us to:

              $101,000,000 Gross Cost
              $(55,500,000) Gross Sales
              -------------
              $(45,500,000) Net Loss

              Now of course this is a bit of an oversimplification. I didn't factor in Foreign Box Office (where Stalone actually continues to do pretty well). Maybe FBO does as well as the U.S. or perhaps even better. But even if we figure foreign reciepts at $50,000,000 the film still lost money.

              Why?

              Because like I said, this was an oversimplification. The studio that made the movie (or just about any movie, for that matter) is not the entity that distributes the movie. And even though (for the most part) the entity that distributes the film is owned by the same parent company that made the film, the company doing the distribution takes it's distribution fee out of the Gross Receipts...generally from 20%-35% of Gross Receipts.

              Then there's the "studio overhead"...a sham, but it's in all the contracts, so that's another percentage that came off the top before production and marketing costs are paid off.

              You also have to factor in "points." Most off the lead actors and probably the producers/director/screenwriter got points in the film, or a percentage of the "gross." With the exception of Stalone, Reynolds and the director I'm pretty sure everyone else would have had points on "net gross", which is zero, so they got zero. The other three (Stalone, Reynolds & director) may have had "first dollar" points, which means their percentage comes off the top, further insuring that the film won't ever make money.

              There are other charges that come off as well (such as the interest on the $72,000,000 it took to make the film) but it gets pretty screwy, so lets not even think of those.

              So what does all of this mean? I'm 99.9999% sure Driven lost money.

              O.K., class dismissed.
              Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

              Comment


              • #8
                Where did "The Big Wheel" with Micky Rooney fit in???

                ZOOOM
                "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
                James Hurtubise, June, 1964

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Zooom
                  Where did "The Big Wheel" with Micky Rooney fit in???

                  ZOOOM
                  They didn't have reliable box office figures back in the day. Which is why the list covers only about the last 30 years. It doesn't even include "Bang the Drum Slowly", "Downhill Racer", "Le Mans", "Grand Prix" or "Winning".

                  Which had to do better than Gymkata. Or at least Rad

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Problem with Driven was the false start in F1. I read somewhere that they blew some absurd amount of money trying to schmooze the FIA into letting them make the movie, hiring a european crew that sat around as they negotiated, paying into european unions, etc. Something like 30 million dollars that was completly blown for no gain. Then they switched to CART, and tacked that onto the production costs.

                    Driven could have been at least mediocre, but it was A) managed by morons (Open wheel seems to make everything it touches moronic), and B) a stalone/burt movie about cars that premiered in the late 90's, not the mid 80's. Doooomed from the start.

                    Comment

                    Unconfigured Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X