X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans prefer to watch and cheer for Americans

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post

Mentioning that Americans prefer to watch and cheer for Americans is dealing in facts and logic.
    And some people are turned off by that same thinking, if it is perceived to be based on bigotry or exclusion.

On the other hand, many of us cheered for Dan Gurney, Eddie Cheever, and Michael Andretti in Formula One, for the Haas team, and for Ford at Le Mans.

And all the more because they competed in a rigorous meritocracy that didn't grant favor based on their geographic origin

Or, in the case of Hoosiers, for Tony Stewart and Bryan Clauson or even Conor Daly.

It's a funny world. Popular opinion and popularity can seem irrational at times.

But if a preponderance of American national origin was that important, why isn't USAC or WoO popular enough for nationally broadcast TV?
    There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

‘Cause most folks just go for the big leagues and ignore the rest.
    Same with B-Ball, Baseball, rasslin’, soccer and the rest.

Comment

Is that from Walt Whitman?

I'd call USAC and WoO "big league", as a technical term.

Comment

Originally posted by Sybil D. Sobydianz View Post

And some people are turned off by that same thinking, if it is perceived to be based on bigotry or exclusion.
        I emphasized the word that matters here. Some folks have been taught to shout down opposition with accusations of racism, bigotry, or in this case xenophobia. It is nothing more than bullying.
        Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

I'd call USAC and WoO "big league", as a technical term.
          I think most would disagree with that. Nascar is the comparison you are looking for.
          Center Grove Trojans
          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Although the individual crowds may be small in number the total number across the nation watching pro racing on a Saturday night is likely to be quite large.
            It’s a contradiction in some ways, “nobody” goes to small races but the numbers add up and crowds go to big races but there are a small number of venues that draw and they don’t race weekly.
            I wonder at the end of a season how the fan counts would compare. Obviously Indy gives the large venues a big head start.

(I am going under the assumption the OP was referring to single seat open wheel racing.)

Comment

Originally posted by goner View Post

(I am going under the assumption the OP was referring to single seat open wheel racing.)
              He is continuing a discussion started on the racing forum when Paff compared Indycar and Nascar as far as American drivers and popularity. USAC's popularity was offered as a rebuttal.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

But if a preponderance of American national origin was that important, why isn't USAC or WoO popular enough for nationally broadcast TV?
                Americans are dominant at candlepin bowling too, but that doesn't mean the sport has wide appeal outside of New England.

Like with anything, there's a big range between "roots for Americans" and the "NO foreign drivers EVER!" crowd. When I see the latter group treating all American drivers as faultless saints and all foreign drivers as talentless hacks that shake my head and walk away - that's a viewpoint that, in my eyes, comes from a dark place, and I'm not going to dignify that. More American drivers would be a benefit to the series? Sure, I can see that. The series should be exclusively American drivers, though? That's absurd and denies modern reality (at best).

Comment

Originally posted by ACCP View Post

Like with anything, there's a big range between "roots for Americans" and the "NO foreign drivers EVER!" crowd. When I see the latter group treating all American drivers as faultless saints and all foreign drivers as talentless hacks that shake my head and walk away - that's a viewpoint that, in my eyes, comes from a dark place, and I'm not going to dignify that. More American drivers would be a benefit to the series? Sure, I can see that. The series should be exclusively American drivers, though? That's absurd and denies modern reality (at best).
                  Yep 100%.
                  The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Has anybody ever posted "The series should be exclusively American drivers"?
                    Center Grove Trojans
                    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

He is continuing a discussion started on the racing forum when Paff compared Indycar and Nascar as far as American drivers and popularity. USAC's popularity was offered as a rebuttal.
                      Hmmm, I gotta keep up and pay attention, or not.
                      Thanks,

Comment

In any international event, people are cheering and waving their little flags in our faces. It's only bad when Americans do it.

"Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

I do it.

At the first F1 USGP after 911, everyone did.

If I was TD, I could say "show me where..."

Comment

I emphasized the word that matters here. Some folks have been taught to shout down opposition with accusations of racism, bigotry, or in this case xenophobia. It is nothing more than bullying.
                            Unless xenophobia is really a thing.

Comment

I think most would disagree with that. Nascar is the comparison you are looking for.
                              What's the criteria, then, to be "big league"?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X