No announcement yet.

2021 Indycar ratings round up and discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indycar race did 502K viewers at IMS for the second road course race there this year. This is the third lowest rating of the year (ahead of only the two Texas races).

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/s...8-15-2021.html

Comment

• Great news everyone! ShowBuzzDaily is back!

They have the TV ratings for the Big Machine Spiked Coolers GP:
      0.30 and 502k viewers.

That places it ~100k above the TMS Sunday race, and ~300k below Road America.

While a return to realty from Nashville's ratings, it does compare well historically to Saturday cable races.
      Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

Comment

• Horrible ratings but it was a Saturday and it must not have been well promoted based on the number of people who have asked me if there was a race in town last weekend.
        Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

• Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
          Horrible ratings but it was a Saturday and it must not have been well promoted based on the number of people who have asked me if there was a race in town last weekend.
          It is good that you think it is horrible because that shows expectations are beginning to rise again.

I think I put a message some time in the winter that a good target is an average of 1 million on non-Indy 500 network and 500k average on cable.
          Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

Comment

• I usually use Xfinity series as a good viewer benchmark for Indycar to shoot for but it was 920k vs 500k on Saturday.
            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• Looks like the Nashville thrill didn't carry over.
              Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• not a great rating. I was at the Iowa State Fair Saturday night.
                RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

• Maybe it's Easy Rider Syndrome. There were a lot of serious motorcycle movies after Easy Rider but they didn't draws audiences, because the public simply didn't want to see another motorcycle movie.
                  Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

• Maybe their best slot is Sunday night after a Nascar race. Although in Sept that also involves football.

Comment

• .43 666k for Portland, not bad vs NFL and not too far below Xfinity and F-1.

Comment

• Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
                        .43 666k for Portland, not bad vs NFL and not too far below Xfinity and F-1.
                        It all depends on your perspective I guess.

The F1 race with early 8:55am ET (5:55am PT) coverage from Monza attracted 880k overall viewers vs 666k at 3:35pm ET (12:35pm PT) for Indy car, which is almost 25% fewer viewers. Even worse are the 18-49 numbers with F1 getting 399k vs 124k for Indy car, which is almost 69% fewer 18-49 viewers. That is horrible from a comparable perspective.

Certainly the NFL impacts viewership, but F1 is running in Europe and is starting early in the morning...even more so the further west you move. People seem to seek that coverage out regardless of the time it's on and where they're running. There's much work for Indy car to do be relevant and attractive to a larger audience on a regular basis.

Comment

• Agree on the F-1 numbers. Lots of pundits seem to think the Netflix series has really given them a boost into different demographics.
                          I've had Netflix for years but never watched Drive to Survive, figuring it was lame, but this summer went through all three years and have to say I was impressed. I enjoy the business aspects of racing, and they certainly get into it. Hammy vs Max battle should be stellar for year 4.

My view is that Indycar will continue in a stable mode as long as Honda and GM continue to provide the juice. They're both on board for the hybrid era, so that should provide some financial underpinning. But I'd have a hard time forecasting any significant uptick in viewership or attendance.

Comment

• Originally posted by OWFANatic View Post
                            Certainly the NFL impacts viewership, but...
                            But nothing. Better to go in the morning than against the NFL. Period.
                            Center Grove Trojans
                            2008 5A Football State Champs
                            2015 6A Football State Champs
                            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

• Originally posted by OWFANatic View Post

Certainly the NFL impacts viewership, but F1 is running in Europe and is starting early in the morning...even more so the further west you move. People seem to seek that coverage out regardless of the time it's on and where they're running. There's much work for Indy car to do be relevant and attractive to a larger audience on a regular basis.
                              Boom. This is because F1 presents a product that is interesting to enough people (myself included) that they get these numbers regardless. Part of the appeal is the meaningful technical competition. Next year they'll roll out an all new formula....again. This will once again reshuffle the deck.

Indycar will never grow its audience if it presents the same thing year after year after year after year.
                              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X