2022 IndyCar TV Deal Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SamC View Post

NBCSN will remain as a “zombie channel” playing a loop directing viewers to buy Peacock and change the channel to USA Network until the cable or dish company pulls the plug.
    Sounds like something I can binge watch
    Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

Comment

• Don’t know much about eurosoccer, but NBC just paid $2.7B to renew the Premier League through 28, with most of the content going to USA Network and Peacock.

Observers say that this is, one, a sign that they are serious about USAN and Peacock vis sports, and not just using it to burn off their old NBCSN rights; and, two, that NBC massively over-bid. Most thought the league, which plays in the mornings US time and gets ratings well below the Mendoza Line (average is somewhere between 0.4 to 0.5) against early morning children’s shows, preachers, political arguments, and infomercials.

Comment

• Its a lot of money but they have no competition on Saturday mornings. The good college football games are all either in the daytime or at night. They can probably sell a lot of ads which is why they were eager to renew those rights.

Comment

• Seems like a comparable business to local MLB rights. A single MLB team in a top 10 metro gets about $100M/yr for local TV. It averages 100--250K viewers for 162 games.

If you're looking for cultural trends, the US has the second largest Spanish speaking population in the world. 20 percent of US children live in Spanish speaking households. This is prime territory for consumer spending. Meanwhile, in the last two years I've probably bought my last new refrigerator, range, and laundry machines.

​​​​
          Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

• Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
            Its a lot of money but they have no competition on Saturday mornings. The good college football games are all either in the daytime or at night. They can probably sell a lot of ads which is why they were eager to renew those rights.
            How many people are flipping through the channels at 8AM wondering what to watch? Particularly for the under 50 set. It's generally pretty popular in the US. Not as popular as the NFL, but nothing is, certainly not NASCAR, the comparative polar opposite.

Comment

• Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
              If you're looking for cultural trends, the US has the second largest Spanish speaking population in the world. 20 percent of US children live in Spanish speaking households. This is prime territory for consumer spending. ​​​​
              Correct, yet baseball and basketball don't air on Univisión, Telemundo or TUDN. They are on ESPN Deportes and Fox Deportes (when not clashing soccer), which have minimal reach.

Comment

• The national baseball deal isn't comparable to eurosoccer. The MLB deal is a sampler, not the whole sport or a whole league. The Spanish language aspect is an afterthought for those relatively few games.

The guts of MLB broadcasting is the individual team deals.
                Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X