2022 IndyCar TV Deal Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RHR Fan Always View Post
    I honestly just wonder if Indycar should go 100% online at this time, I know it sounds radical and it is, but I'm fearful we will die on the vine if we stick with traditional TV.

My idea would be to have every practice, qualifying and race shown live on either Netflix or Amazon Prime, with maybe just the '500 shown on like CBS or some type of OTA channel that those without internet could still watch the only race people outside of TF have ever heard of. Everything is headed that direction, and those two are the leaders (I think) in that domain.
    Problem is if they go online only who is going to sponsor the race teams? Unless Amazon is giving them big money I can't see them going exclusively online.

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post

Problem is if they go online only who is going to sponsor the race teams? Unless Amazon is giving them big money I can't see them going exclusively online.
      Keep in mind, I'm a complete moron. But I actually think that viewership would increase. I don't know that for a fact obviously, but I can envision Neflix or Prime having a sports section, and could see it being quite powerful if we're early enough on that ship.

3 years ago, I thought such an idea was asinine, and it probably still is. But we can't keep doing what we're doing.
      RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

Not going to CBS: https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/statu...03761596891137

This isn't a huge surprise. The "report" about CBS had one quote from Sean McManus. The quote was actually about NASCAR, was very noncommittal ("We'd look at...if..."), and came before the NFL rights were fully settled (there was talk that if CBS lost its Sunday package, it'd look at NASCAR). There was never anything hard. And it came a week after NSSN reported only NBC, ABC, and FOX were in talks.

The reality is that if NBC has offered to renew at the current rate, it is hard to see them losing. The ratings are extremely stable and the cable sports rights frenzy that led to irrationally inflated rights fees has passed. I am going to guess that's the best offer they get.
        Scott Speed was third fastest in FP2 at the 2007 French Grand Prix.

Comment

Well I guess we won't be having Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson doing the 500 after all....
          Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

NBC is still the best option for the series in my opinion. That being said it will be interesting to see what happens with NBCSN gone. Hopefully if the tv deal stays NBC we can get even more races on network. The ratings are still not amazing for non-Indy 500 network broadcasts but they still tend to double the viewers that the NBCSN races get.

Comment

I'd be happy staying on NBC. I think the Peacock extra coverage was great. Literally every single practice in May was commercial free. Outside of wishing for more Indycar centric broadcasters for the 500 and in the pits (I like Marty Snider but he just doesn't get these cars like Beekhuis does) I think they've done a great job.
              I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
                I'd be happy staying on NBC. I think the Peacock extra coverage was great. Literally every single practice in May was commercial free. Outside of wishing for more Indycar centric broadcasters for the 500 and in the pits (I like Marty Snider but he just doesn't get these cars like Beekhuis does) I think they've done a great job.
                Right now it looks like NBC wins on default. CBS isn't interested, FOX has NASCAR, and ABC doesn't look like its rekindling its interest in motorsport despite having F1 rights (which fills a hole in their schedule on Sunday mornings).

Comment

It appears NBC will win by default

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...ar-on-NBC.aspx
                  I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Comment

Now the questions about the deal are:
                    • How many races on network TV? Current deal guarantees at least 8 every year.
                    • Where will races not on network air? NBCSN going away. USA could be part of it. But so could Peacock.
                    • Relatedly, will there be any races that are exclusive to, or at least exclusively live on Peacock? I could see "live on Peacock, replay on USA" being an option.
                    • For how many years? Long-term deals give stability and allow for good revenue projections. They also allow the network partner to invest more in growing the property because they know they aren't growing something for someone else to benefit from. Short-term deals give you flexibility, especially when entertainment delivery continues to change and NASCAR's TV rights expire in a few more years. If it's a "by default" deal, INDYCAR may not want to lock themselves into it too long.
                    And one question management needs to be asking:
                    • In early 2018, ESPN made a bid that would have put 10 races on ABC and the rest on ESPN2, with Indy 500 time trials split between ABC and streaming, and all the other sessions/Road to Indy stuff on ESPN+. When ESPN lost the bid to NBC, there were some aggressive statements made about coming back to Indy "in two years" (the NBC deal being two-plus-one). Just three years later, ESPN has no interest whatsoever. I think you have to look in the mirror and say, "What didn't we accomplish with NBC that made all the other networks say, 'Wow, that's a bad property?'" when it wasn't quite like that last time around.

Comment

I expected having Penske at the helm would change the way media looked at Indycar. But the reality is he's an 84 year old guy who picked up the Speedway as sort of a career-capping milestone and got the series as a "bonus". And while he's undoubtedly got a capable management team behind him, there's really nobody with anywhere near his credibility or prestige apparent who is ready to take over when El Capitan inevitably moves on. So they got a deal, it may not be a great deal or even a good deal, but it's the deal that was available and keeps some races on major network and others on a decent cable channel.
                      Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
                        I expected having Penske at the helm would change the way media looked at Indycar. But the reality is he's an 84 year old guy who picked up the Speedway as sort of a career-capping milestone and got the series as a "bonus". And while he's undoubtedly got a capable management team behind him, there's really nobody with anywhere near his credibility or prestige apparent who is ready to take over when El Capitan inevitably moves on. So they got a deal, it may not be a great deal or even a good deal, but it's the deal that was available and keeps some races on major network and others on a decent cable channel.
                        Roger ain't gonna be the guy who looks at the next generation of fans. He's there to keep the ship afloat. Whomever is next in charge will have to look to the future of Indycar broadcasts, and that might be considering moving the rights to a streaming service or at least a service that gives respect to the sport that it deserves even if it does have mediocre ratings at this point in time. The way I see it none of the broadcast networks will give Indycar the time or money and this was evidenced when the rights moved to ABC/ESPN to NBC/NBCSN and the same issues that popped up during ABC ended up resurfacing at NBC.

Comment

An idea that came to me yesterday about NBCSN shutting down is that USA is basically a rerun channel and what value is that now that Peacock exists? Since USA is more broadly available than NBCSN, the programming will be shifted to USA to make that channel an NBCSN 2.0
                          Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Muffins View Post
                            An idea that came to me yesterday about NBCSN shutting down is that USA is basically a rerun channel and what value is that now that Peacock exists? Since USA is more broadly available than NBCSN, the programming will be shifted to USA to make that channel an NBCSN 2.0
                            While I do think Peacock has had some effect on USA taking on live sports, and HBO Max has done the same with Turner getting NHL rights, there are still three issues. The first is that what NBC owns rights to stream and what NBC owns rights to air in syndication are likely quite different. The second is that far fewer people have subscribed to Peacock than receive USA as part of their TV package. The third is simply that live sports are expensive as hell. Even with INDYCAR keeping 100% of the production costs, IndyCar Series racing is more expensive to air on USA than the "re-runs," and not guaranteed to get more viewers.

Ultimately, I think there will be races on USA, but I don't know that it makes a ton of sense for USA. This isn't the case of a contract that has not expired and needing to air it somewhere, because you have to pay, anyway. And as much as I love IndyCar racing and think this season has been a classic so far, I do tend to put some stock in, "If no similar bidder has emerged, I probably haven't found something no one else found because all of us look at the exact same information and value the exact same things. I'm probably letting my heart guide me too much here."

We'll see.

Comment

As much as NBC's technical/programming issues have annoyed me this year, you cannot ask for a better partner over the last 20 years. Happy to see them continue.
                              "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
                                As much as NBC's technical/programming issues have annoyed me this year, you cannot ask for a better partner over the last 20 years. Happy to see them continue.
                                I wish they'd continue with a new booth. I thought dropping PT would be an improvement but Detroit showed me any combination of the current three is a maddening shoutfest. NBC should consider Danica for one of those positions, it would be a significant improvement.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X