Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What IndyCar Used to Be

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What IndyCar Used to Be

    Hey you crazy freaking kooks!

    IndyCar were purpose built thoroughbreds built to go ever faster. The greatest drivers driving the fastest most challenging machines on the most diverse set of tracks. As a result it was the truest test of man and machine and they proved to be the greatest drivers in the world.

    If you lost in 1952 you figured out a way to go FASTER in 1953.

    If you lost in 1964 you figured out a way to go FASTER in 1965.

    If you lost in 1984 you figure out a way to go FASTER in 1985.

    You either found a driver that could go FASTER, you built a better engine to make you go FASTER, you found a way to shed weight to make you go FASTER, you found a way to stick yourself to the corners to make you go FASTER, you found ways to slice through the air to make you go FASTER, you stole ideas from your competitors to make you go FASTER, you did whatever you had to do in order to go FASTER!!! For almost 100 years it was all about going FASTER.

    That all stopped in 1996.
    Last edited by gonzo; 01-02-2021, 01:48 AM.
    "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

  • #2
    Originally posted by gonzo View Post
    Hey you crazy freaking kooks!

    IndyCar were purpose built thoroughbreds built to go ever faster. The greatest drivers driving the fastest most challenging machines on the most diverse set of tracks. As a result it was the truest test of man and machine and they proved to be the greatest drivers in the world.

    If you lost in 1952 you figured out a way to go FASTER in 1953.

    If you lost in 1964 you figured out a way to go FASTER in 1965.

    If you lost in 1984 you figure out a way to go FASTER in 1985.

    You either found a driver that could go FASTER, you built a better engine to make you go FASTER, you found a way to shed weight to make you go FASTER, you found a way to stick yourself to the corners to make you go FASTER, you found ways to slice through the air to make you go faster, you stole ideas from your competitors to make you go FASTER, you did whatever you had to do in order to go FASTER!!! For almost 100 years it was all about going FASTER.

    That all stopped in 1996.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

    No one had to badge the Offy.

    Crapping all over threads since 2000.

    Comment


    • #3
      Indycar today is a cover band. It's a parody of a once great product.

      Remember how great CART was? Well, those speeds were dangerous, fans won't come out to most potential venues, engines that sound awesome are expensive, and innovation leads to inequity of outcomes.

      Ok, but at least the racing is good, right? Out of all this parity? Well... the IR18 ruined that. And fixing it costs money nobody wants to spend. But good news, there might be a new car after 3 more years.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gonzo View Post

        The only thing that garners respect is the Indy 500. That's why it attracts guys like Johnson and Alonso. It's still a marquee event, it is still a challenging event and it is still a money making event and there is a hundred years of history that appeals to many.

        The whole thing crumbles and crumbles fast without the 500. Exactly like what happened to CART/ChampCar.
        CART management was grossly incompetent. The series was fine until about 2001 or so.


        Arguably CART’s best seasons were sans 500 (1997 and 1998.)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by exxonvaldez View Post

          CART management was grossly incompetent. The series was fine until about 2001 or so.

          Arguably CART’s best seasons were sans 500 (1997 and 1998.)
          If it was grossly incompetent how did they grow it after Indy 500 was removed from schedule? And grow it did, car count was massive, full of sponsors domestic and international, they had more international TV viewers in some countries than who watch it now in USA and around the world combined. It only started to crumble after teams started to want to double dip to Indy too.

          Comment


          • #6
            1996 is to 2021 as 1964 was to 1989. Maybe moreso

            IndyCar was definitely better off before the Split. So was CART. Neither the IRL nor CCWS were destined for greatness.

            Dan Gurney was right, but I can see where TG had his concerns (even if he guessed wrong). And not even Roger Penske could get the two sides to agree to mutually beneficial cooperation.

            At this point, what difference does it make? Learn and move on, but the situation will look different to the players next time, anyway.
            "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
            ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"


            Brian's Wish

            Comment


            • #7
              I see that the original thread went off the rails badly, so I don't know why these are the posts that got banished.

              Indycar is sustained by an aging fan base who loved what it once was and still like the current product enough to not abandon it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Fock this nonsense! Same old bs going on around here. Ciao.
                "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The only thing that garners respect is the Indy 500. That's why it attracts guys like Johnson and Alonso.
                  IIRC, Johnson will not be racing in the Indy 500 (or other ovals).
                  Props to Alonso for joining Indy.

                  Nitpicking perhaps, but the crux of the biscuit has always been to go faster than the other cars...as opposed to just faster.
                  Yes...faster was always exciting, but there does come a point where other very real factors can limit 'faster'.
                  BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gonzo View Post
                    Fock this nonsense! Same old bs going on around here. Ciao.
                    You haven't changed, certainly
                    There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Could be your big chance:


                      http://www.champcarforsale.com/index.php

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        "Mark Plourde on steroids."
                        Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

                        Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

                        "I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

                        The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SteveK51 View Post
                          Indycar today is a cover band. It's a parody of a once great product.

                          Remember how great CART was? Well, those speeds were dangerous, fans won't come out to most potential venues, engines that sound awesome are expensive, and innovation leads to inequity of outcomes.

                          Ok, but at least the racing is good, right? Out of all this parity? Well... the IR18 ruined that. And fixing it costs money nobody wants to spend. But good news, there might be a new car after 3 more years.

                          WHat in teh world are you talkin bout? INdyCAr aint no cover band. INdyCAr is liek JOrney. THat aint no cover band. REmber them at CArbs DAy in 2016? THey rocked. OK maybe they got a new singer named ARnie. HElls BElles some people liek him better. RIght? ANd maybe JOurny dont got as many hits these days but it had hits. JUst liek INdy. BUt INdy had several hits. MOst were in turn one hahahahaha SO INdy aint no cover band. ITs liek a old bunch of rockers with a new singer still rocking. DOnt stop believin baby.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BigIrlFan View Post


                            WHat in teh world are you talkin bout? INdyCAr aint no cover band. INdyCAr is liek JOrney. THat aint no cover band. REmber them at CArbs DAy in 2016? THey rocked. OK maybe they got a new singer named ARnie. HElls BElles some people liek him better. RIght? ANd maybe JOurny dont got as many hits these days but it had hits. JUst liek INdy. BUt INdy had several hits. MOst were in turn one hahahahaha SO INdy aint no cover band. ITs liek a old bunch of rockers with a new singer still rocking. DOnt stop believin baby.
                            Actually I almost posted a longer comparison like this to Queen or Van Halen, so thanks!

                            Comment

                            Unconfigured Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X