Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What touring series in the US aren't packed with kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What touring series in the US aren't packed with kids?

Looking at the Snowball Derby list of entries and there's tons and tons and tons of teenagers funded by rich parents to try and make it to Cup and somehow recoup their investment. I can't be mad about this, but I also don't actually care about seeing a bunch of 15 year olds run around with the occasional Cup driver and Bubba Pollard. It got me thinking however: there's several racing series out there like World of Outlaws and ASCOC that have real adults with extensive racing experience doing their thing. But what else qualifies in that? USAC Sprints? ISMA Supers? Sports cars for sure whether it is Ferrari Challenge, Porsche Cup, SCCA stuff, et al. That's a decent number, but there has to be more than that.

It sounds strange, but I just don't care about watching kids racing. I don't relate to that or those kids. What's not that?

Those darn kids are the future of racing, after all of today's veterans are retired. Maybe you should acquaint yourself with them instead.

Comment

He'd have to be pretty slow not to learn names whenever he gets around to watching them. That's why the cars have big numbers on the side.
      Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

The point about all of the kids in racing is that not that long ago, racing series, particularly NASCAR, were populated by lower and middle class men. Men who had lived as an adult under regular circumstances. Who were thus approachable and relatable. Huge contrast to most other sports filled with prima donna athletes who had been in a bubble since early teens.

Now most of the robo-drivers of today are just rich kids. Kids who, one, have no clue what even the lives of their age-peers are as they live lives of luxury from birth and who, two, have never worked a day in their lives.

Yes, it is harming the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post
          The point about all of the kids in racing is that not that long ago, racing series, particularly NASCAR, were populated by lower and middle class men. Men who had lived as an adult under regular circumstances. Who were thus approachable and relatable. Huge contrast to most other sports filled with prima donna athletes who had been in a bubble since early teens.

Now most of the robo-drivers of today are just rich kids. Kids who, one, have no clue what even the lives of their age-peers are as they live lives of luxury from birth and who, two, have never worked a day in their lives.
          It wasn't that long ago when many drivers didn't even start racing until 18-21. Now they're plucking 5-6 years olds, sticking them in go-karts, writing big checks, and they're trying to grow a race driver like they're growing crops.

Originally posted by AGRiculture View Post
          Those darn kids are the future of racing, after all of today's veterans are retired. Maybe you should acquaint yourself with them instead.
          Many (most?) run out of daddy's money before they achieve any level of success. Many will never be heard from again.
          Doctorindy.com

Comment

I have no interest or motivation to watch a bunch of 13 year olds race cars when they aren't old enough to actually own and operate a street vehicle. I find it distasteful at minimum and completely unappealing to me as there is no possibility that I can relate to literal chirldren. If you can, go right ahead I guess. I'd prefer to see grown men and women engaging in risky activity for my entertainment.

Comment

I would say all the major touring dirt series don't really have a ton of kids(outside of the USAC midgets who spending money on their development drivers there) In the Northeast I would say the NASCAR Modifieds and PASS Super Late Models are not really a bunch of kids. Both do have a group of young drivers, but not the 11 to 14 years olds you find other places. Reason probably being the people spending that money on children that age probably don't want their kid racing an open wheel mod since their is a 95% chance their goal is to get the kid to NASCAR full fendered series ASAP. For the PASS SLM's Most of the drivers are from northern New England where your not going to see that much money sponsorship. The young drivers they do have have the money to be able to run that series, but not enough to "buy" their way up the ladder. The only exception would be Raphael Lessard who ran one really lackluster season with PASS about 6 years ago, they immediately left for the Charlotte area and bought into a couple Super Late Model "developmental programs.

Comment

Most of those kids are either going to run out of money before they ever get to the ARCA \East\West level and will be out of the sport before the age of 20 or they will get tired of racing because that is the only sport\activity they have been allowed to do since they were 5 years old and will be out of racing before they are 20. Remember when people were hyping Matt Martin over a decade ago? Then he quit racing when was about 16 because it just something he did not want to do any longer.

Comment

The Snowball Derby attracted some NASCAR drivers and previously unknown youngsters won, one of which so impressed Kyle Busch that he hired her for some developmental ride. Had this woman who's name I can't remember made it beyond the Truck series I might gone farther maybe I'd remember her name. But that event then became the place to show off, get noticed and get hired. Five times every broadcast of a Truck race and on every pre race show Phil Parsons and Todd Bodine point out that someone won the Snowball Derby so even if it isn't the ultimate achievement if you watch NASCAR ir sure seems like it.
                  "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                  "They're criminals"
                  "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by Z28 View Post
                    The Snowball Derby attracted some NASCAR drivers and previously unknown youngsters won, one of which so impressed Kyle Busch that he hired her for some developmental ride. Had this woman who's name I can't remember made it beyond the Truck series I might gone farther maybe I'd remember her name. But that event then became the place to show off, get noticed and get hired. Five times every broadcast of a Truck race and on every pre race show Phil Parsons and Todd Bodine point out that someone won the Snowball Derby so even if it isn't the ultimate achievement if you watch NASCAR ir sure seems like it.
                    Johanna Long? And yeah, she's another example of one of these kids that flamed out and disappeared. She was effectively retired after the 2015 season at a whopping 23 years of age. She never finished in the top ten of a single professional race again after the 2010 Derby outside of the 5 Flags weekly late model series.
                    Last edited by VirtualBalboa; 11-24-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28 View Post
                      One thing they "conveniently" leave out of the Erik Jones getting hired by Kyle Busch story is that Jones had already been running in ARCA with a good team and had also won the Florida Governors Cup before winning the Snowball Derby. It was not like he was some super obscure kid in the way they play it up.

Comment

Racing was always an outlier in sports because it was so expensive relative to stick and ball stuff and wasn't promoted/subsidized by schools and neighborhood groups.
                        So when racing became relatively "safe" to do, well funded kids was going to be the end game.

Anybody remember the "Inner City Youth" SCCA racing team sponsored by Saturn (GM) back in the 90s?
                        That's the only way I see the situation changing...some kind of training program / talent evaluation / Roush gong show funded by corporations.

And right now I don't think any of the manufacturers feels like there is a shortage of talent to plug into the driver's seat. Especially since social and economic trends seem to be reducing the total number of pro level seats available.
                        Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Well, that's as may be, but I see guys starting out awfully young in awfully fast cars on awfully fast tracks, and it kinda scares me. I'm thinking of folk like Chandler Smith and Jake Garcia.
                          You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski View Post

Well, that's as may be, but I see guys starting out awfully young in awfully fast cars on awfully fast tracks, and it kinda scares me. I'm thinking of folk like Chandler Smith and Jake Garcia.
                            The track I worked at when I first moved to SC 13 years ago had a class called Young Guns.

Kids as young as 8 or 9 racing full sized bomber cars on a 3/8 mile dirt track.

I hated that class. One time a kid clobbered the fence just before the flag stand and he got shaken up pretty good.

I felt horrible. Like I was an unwilling participant in child abuse.

8 year olds got no place in full size race cars on a full size track.

I saw that a 12 year old won at Orange County in NY a couple weeks ago. It wasnt a big block race but it was some kind of modified.

That is a large fast track. No place for a 12 year old in a purebred race car.
                            Live like Dave

Comment

We had a few youngsters running Baby Grands at Fairgrounds. Baby Grands are very fast little cars, and on a flat quarter mile put on a good show. We ran them on the big track. Scary. Hard to call a race when you're holding your breath...
                              You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X