Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMS Fri USA .14 221,000
    IMS Sat NBC .37 566,000
    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• Not surprised but its a shame Friday's numbers are so low. It was a very entertaining race.
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

• Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
        Not surprised but its a shame Friday's numbers are so low. It was a very entertaining race.
        I had to check on my YouTube streaming to see if the USA channel was on their lineup, it's not something we ever watch. So anybody who watched was pretty much a hard core fan who had to 1) know there was a Friday afternoon race and 2) could find that network to watch it.
        Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• And 3) was home to watch it. I didn’t know I had the USA Network on DirecTV until Friday. Hadn’t thought about that channel in years. Maybe decades.
          Center Grove Trojans
          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

• That Friday race was the best non-Indy 500 race I've seen in several years, of any series. It's a shame that nobody watched it.

Comment

• St Pete season ender NBC

.41 671k 18-49 >> 26%
              Last edited by nascarnation; 10-27-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• I forgot it was even on until about 3:15 ET. Good thing I had it recorded. I watched it on a quad screen with two NFL games and Red Zone.
                No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

• I had to make myself watch it but I'm glad I did.
                  Center Grove Trojans
                  2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

• Adam Stern

Roger Penske is seeking an increase in the value of IndyCar's media rights, per sources, as the series negotiates its first such deal with him in charge.

Heavy minus sign NBC currently pays around a $20 million annual rights fee but then IndyCar subsidizes production.

Comment

• The NFL just showed you can double your tv dough with your ratings going down. I imagine this is the desire for Indycar too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                        Adam Stern

Roger Penske is seeking an increase in the value of IndyCar's media rights, per sources, as the series negotiates its first such deal with him in charge.

Heavy minus sign NBC currently pays around a $20 million annual rights fee but then IndyCar subsidizes production.
                        Wondering where the $20MM came from. When the deal was announced, Mark Miles conceded it was for less than the combined ABC/NBC deal had been in 2018. That deal was not even $20MM total. So, I'm not sure that number is accurate, but it is true that IMS Productions took on 100% production costs in this deal (and splits 50/50 the NBC Sports Gold subscription revenue).

Regardless, increasing the rights fee almost always means decreasing the network TV presence. The best part of the present deal is 10 (or, this year, 9) races on network TV, even if some weren't well-placed (such as wasting network slots against the NFL). I do not believe you can have both an increase in what you're getting paid and keep all those races there. Of course, with a network TV average, outside the Indy 500, being very stable around 0.6 on ABC and now NBC, I guess the network shows aren't doing as much as we'd want.

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
                        The NFL just showed you can double your tv dough with your ratings going down. I imagine this is the desire for Indycar too.
                        To be fair, a 7% decline with an average of 15.4MM viewers, remaining the most-watched sport in America, is a very different landscape than the IndyCar Series, which had stable ratings 2019 to 2020 (and, if you account for the shifting balance of network-to-cable shows from 2018 to 2019, stable then, too), but stable at an average that's closer to 1MM viewers on network (non-Indy 500) and 600M viewers on cable. And those are games with two teams in them, played at the same time as many other games...it's not the full universe of NFL fans tuned in at once, like an auto race generally is.

Right now, F1 gets better cable ratings than the IndyCar Series, and similar network ratings other than the 500. It gets paid $0. The NHRA is a time-buy. So is IMSA, which actually had decent numbers for the Rolex 24 but usually puts up ones worse than IndyCar.

Actually, the NFL deal isn't so great for racing, generally, because the talk was CBS might make a play in motorsports again. It did not lose its package to ABC, so that's not happening now, unless your season ends before Labor Day. This is one of the things that is strange for IndyCar: in terms of months, the season is long, but in total number of races, it is not. What that means is you don't have enough content to make it worthwhile to have multiple TV partners in a season, but your season is too long to fit into the sports schedules of most players because they have the rights to something that conflicts.

So, what do you do? It's too early for streaming, still—live sports have just not gained traction there. And the streaming numbers are usually going down with the TV numbers, not up (as some seem to suggest in implying the loss of audience is a shift; it is not). Live sports are really what kept cable alive before everyone got together to make streaming super expensive to piece together all the services you need to get what you want (funny what happens when the cable provider owns the channels, the content, and provides the Internet service). NASCAR's rights deal is still locked in for a few more years. NBC's strategy shifted, CBS is crowded, FOX is crowded, ESPN offered less money than NBC last time around...

It's interesting.
                        Scott Speed was third fastest in FP2 at the 2007 French Grand Prix.

Comment

• Just for posterity, as I didn't see it mentioned in the thread.

NBC's replay special of the 2019 race ("Back Home Again") that aired on original race day (5/24/20) got a 0.44 and 645,000 viewers.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/article...5-24-2020.html
                          Doctorindy.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X