Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if conventional thinking has been wrong?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by dalz View Post

    Gee Whiz, what will happen then?
    You tell us. 22 years have passed and it isn't making a ripple in the sports world.
    "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

    Lee Iacocca

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Spike View Post
      Exactly. It's like this restaurant that serves mediocre food at high prices. For some reason the place is just barely surviving. The real problem isn't the food, it's just that there just aren't enough customers who want to eat, and pay, for it.
      You forgot the 60 dollar parking ticket stuck under your windshield wiper.
      "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

      Comment


      • #18
        Everyone keeps assuming the NASCAR TV deal will get cut by more than half, but they obviously have not been paying attention to some other sports trends. And I have had to repeat this several times. The UFC's ratings totally plummeted during their stay on FOX and are even way lower than when they were on Spike TV over a decade ago. But they got a massive deal to move to ESPN since ESPN wanted to push ESPN plus. Also the WWE ratings have kept doing down for years on USA, but they also got a huge contract to move one of their shows to FOX.

        Comment


        • #19
          Pro wrestling is a scripted entertainment event, not a legitimate sport. When wrestling is down, it isn't crazy to hope that the writers and performers can take the product in an appealing direction more or less overnight. Last year's Kolonel Kommie gets a new hat and becomes this year's Osama Bin Slammin as quick as the staff can get to Staples for a fresh supply of glitter glue. That's the history of pro wrestling (and movies, and music, and other forms of scripted entertainment). It's like a cyclical stock that can be bought low without being a complete chump.

          Historically, NASCAR has one peak about 15 years ago and has lost every bit of the TV audience it gained over the last 30 years, with no reason to expect a turnaround.

          Meanwhile, the current Cup TV deal pays for each race about 75 percent of what the NFL gets for each game on its schedule.
          Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

          Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

          "I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

          The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by JMB View Post
            Everyone keeps assuming the NASCAR TV deal will get cut by more than half, but they obviously have not been paying attention to some other sports trends. And I have had to repeat this several times. The UFC's ratings totally plummeted during their stay on FOX and are even way lower than when they were on Spike TV over a decade ago. But they got a massive deal to move to ESPN since ESPN wanted to push ESPN plus. Also the WWE ratings have kept doing down for years on USA, but they also got a huge contract to move one of their shows to FOX.
            The media landscape being what it is, a live sports property that averages a 1.0-2.0 rating is still worth quite a bit to the networks as there simply isn't that much else out there that can consistently get those numbers. I still think the next TV deal won't be that far off what they have now, it will probably be flat, but it's not going to collapse in on itself, too many people are still watching for that to happen.

            Comment


            • #21
              Level is a crazy idea. The audience has dropped by nearly 50 percent since the current deal was made (at a time when competition for content already was at a peak), and there's no reason to think that the audience will not continue to drop.

              NASCAR has fallen so far that it is no longer essential programming for basic cable outside of a few southeastern states. The public is so disinterested that NASCAR is floating the idea of replacing many of its typical races with a completely different kind of racing.

              Currently, NASCAR costs the broadcasters as much per hour to buy and produce as original scripted prime time programming, yet it has $0 rerun value.

              An event that consistently draws a 2.0 might be worth a few times what Indycar gets (on top of the highest production costs in sports programming). That would be a 90 percent drop from the current NASCAR TV deal.
              Last edited by atrackforumfan; 12-02-2019, 05:03 PM.
              Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

              Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

              "I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

              The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

              Comment


              • #22
                In the 1950's when I was introduced to racing, there was baseball, on Saturdays if you had a tv. There was football on Saturday, one game normally Notre Dame with Lindsey Nelson calling the game. If you live in a pro team city football town you had the 6 away game tv.

                No hockey, maybe once a week: only 6 teams in hockey those days. So.....

                County/State fairs were the end of summer events, sprint cars, champ cars... That was our entertainment! (let me add with the fair dates were the likes of Johnny Cash, Andy Williams, ....fairground shows,....)

                Today, you can entertain yourself to the extremes! With just your computer.!

                so this is a major reason why there is no group swell of follwers. completion for the attention of the people is HARD.

                don't expect much to change!
                "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
                "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
                >

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Niseguy View Post
                  In the 1950's when I was introduced to racing, there was baseball, on Saturdays if you had a tv. There was football on Saturday, one game normally Notre Dame with Lindsey Nelson calling the game. If you live in a pro team city football town you had the 6 away game tv.

                  No hockey, maybe once a week: only 6 teams in hockey those days. So.....

                  County/State fairs were the end of summer events, sprint cars, champ cars... That was our entertainment! (let me add with the fair dates were the likes of Johnny Cash, Andy Williams, ....fairground shows,....)

                  Today, you can entertain yourself to the extremes! With just your computer.!

                  so this is a major reason why there is no group swell of follwers. completion for the attention of the people is HARD.

                  don't expect much to change!

                  And now its moving to cell phones since they are basically computers miniaturized.
                  Pretty much all sports are realizing they need to compete in this brave new world, which is why you see vast swaths of empty seats if the event isn't worth the time or attention.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by JMB View Post
                    Everyone keeps assuming the NASCAR TV deal will get cut by more than half, but they obviously have not been paying attention to some other sports trends. And I have had to repeat this several times. The UFC's ratings totally plummeted during their stay on FOX and are even way lower than when they were on Spike TV over a decade ago. But they got a massive deal to move to ESPN since ESPN wanted to push ESPN plus.
                    Bite your tongue. If NASCAR's next TV deal doesn't get cut by more than half of what the current deal is, there will be quite a few TFers who will be on suicide-watch.
                    DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Other than the toe-curling pleasure of being right, I've got no skin in this. There's no benefit to me or to anything that interests me if Cup shrinks all the way back to 1979, and I don't think Cup racing would be better. It's also going to hurt people I'd rather not be hurt.

                      I mean, Danica will still be out of the sport. What's she doing these days, anyway?
                      Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

                      Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

                      "I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

                      The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
                        Other than the toe-curling pleasure of being right, I've got no skin in this. There's no benefit to me or to anything that interests me if Cup shrinks all the way back to 1979, and I don't think Cup racing would be better. It's also going to hurt people I'd rather not be hurt.

                        I mean, Danica will still be out of the sport. What's she doing these days, anyway?
                        Attending to the needs of a Green Bay, Wisconsin resident.
                        "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

                        Lee Iacocca

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by turbopanzer View Post

                          You tell us. 22 years have passed and it isn't making a ripple in the sports world.
                          What is your solution for this terrible fate you've predicted for our beloved sport?
                          You have the IndyCar you deserve.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by dalz View Post

                            What is your solution for this terrible fate you've predicted for our beloved sport?
                            Let fate run its course.

                            "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

                            Lee Iacocca

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              So, you're hoping for the sport to collapse?

                              Are you even a fan or a supporter of it in any form? If not, why are you here?
                              You have the IndyCar you deserve.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by dalz View Post
                                So, you're hoping for the sport to collapse?
                                He has said, on more than one occasion, that he's just waiting around to see it collapse. I believe he was banned from the ICS board for a time for having said that.
                                "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

                                Comment

                                Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X