EVs now outsell stick shifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gateway Fan View Post
    WAR is part of POWRi and run out of Illinois/Indiana. They are a non-wing sprint car series racing around the Midwest primarily. They sanctioned the non-wing Cornbelt Nationals at Knoxville this past summer. I suspect you are correct, but think that if someone did show up with one, they would let them race the first night. The other competitors would likely get a say after that as the sanctioning body is primarily about getting races for guys who aren't really USAC National tour regulars. Due to race length, I think short track is a likely spot for electrics to get a chance and WARs rule book might be a jumping in point.
    Figure a 30 lapper at some tracks isn't even 10 miles I suppose it would be a good jumping off point.

I know literally nothing about EV's. Would weight be an issue?

If theres no engine rule then Im sure theres some engines out there that two strong boys could lift.

And Im sure you know youre not gonna give up several hundred pounds and expect to run well.
    Live like Dave

Comment

Shipping weight for a salvaged 400 hp Tesla motor and gearbox with electronics w/o batteries is 300 lbs. 16 battery modules in a Model S weigh 75 lbs each.
      Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
        Shipping weight for a salvaged 400 hp Tesla motor and gearbox with electronics w/o batteries is 300 lbs. 16 battery modules in a Model S weigh 75 lbs each.
        The weight is close but you're giving up 300-500hp with that package compared to an aluminum 410 or a 360.

Heck you're giving up over 100hp to a sealed 305 if that was the way you went
        Live like Dave

Comment

The motor and gearbox are set up for a street car with a service life of thousands of hours.

The speed/power of an electric motor increases directly with input voltage. I have no idea how long a Tesla motor would last at 800v instead of its rated 400v. It probably doesn't have an instant failure point like a street car's crank, rods, pistons, and valvetrain, but it will be operating at very high temperatures because of both electrical resistance and rotating friction.
          Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

I learned how to drive with manual transmission, and that is the only thing I've ever owned for 30 years. I had no idea it had gotten that bleak. I guess I am in a very small minority now, but I don't think I could ever buy a car that was an automatic. They are so damn boring.

Comment

Originally posted by millrace View Post
              I learned how to drive with manual transmission, and that is the only thing I've ever owned for 30 years. I had no idea it had gotten that bleak. I guess I am in a very small minority now, but I don't think I could ever buy a car that was an automatic. They are so damn boring.
              Every car you can still buy in the US with a manual transmission.
              https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...smission-cars/
              BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                Every car you can still buy in the US with a manual transmission.
                https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...smission-cars/
                Thank you Jakester! Very nice. Maybe a Veloster N or Type R Civic for me next.

Comment

You're welcome. A friend's purchase has me peeking at cars.com etc. for a nice preowned Mustang Shelby GT350. The price ain't the barrier, the spousal consent form is....

Comment

And here's what happens when 'never knew there were manual transmissions' son starts up dad's Mustang Shelby GT350 with a clutch.
                    https://www.motor1.com/news/392622/k...-shelby-gt350/

Comment

My sister can still get a Hyundai Accent. She's had two plus an Excel, all sticks.
                      It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                        You're welcome. A friend's purchase has me peeking at cars.com etc. for a nice preowned Mustang Shelby GT350. The price ain't the barrier, the spousal consent form is....
                        Iron Dog buddy of mine has one in orange. It goes like hell.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X