Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Volkswagen and Honda Both Interested......in NASCAR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds to me like a NASCAR DPi to me. A much lighter common chassis with "stock appearing" bodywork and each manufacturer supplying performance balanced engines. I doubt that there will be much commonality in the engines beyond spec ECUs, hybrid components and/or turbos. This wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

Comment

Originally posted by AGRiculture View Post
      Sounds to me like a NASCAR DPi to me. A much lighter common chassis with "stock appearing" bodywork and each manufacturer supplying performance balanced engines. I doubt that there will be much commonality in the engines beyond spec ECUs, hybrid components and/or turbos. This wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.
      Note there are FOUR chassis manufacturers licensed for DPi: ORECA, Ligier Automotive, Dallara and Multimatic.
      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

The DPi framework is, I think, a really good one. It's brought competitive racing to the series while still having really modern cars that go fast. As far as it being used for Cup, I think that's fine.

I can't see for the life of me that any manufacturer wants anything to do with the ladder series like K&N. For what? Honda or Volkswagen investing money there won't fix the problems inherent of it being a field of teenagers burning Daddy's money in purpose built race cars you can't use to do anything else.

Comment

Back to Honda/Volkswagen to NASCAR:

So, OK for Honda the Accord appears to be the obvious choice for NASCAR. But only an I4 offered in the Accord. only the SUV/Van/Ridgeline offer a V6.

Volkswagen? Passat or Arteon? Seems the Jetta would be on the small side. OTOH, VW only offers I4 in all three, only the Atlas SUV offers a V6.

Would VW and/or Honda insist on a V6 for next NASCAR engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
            Would VW and/or Honda insist on a V6 for next NASCAR engine?
            If I recall correctly, Neil Bonnett said that the V6 racing engine was invented by the guy that sells chain hoists.

But I think the V-6 in the Ford GT-40 that's been racing in IMSA and at Le Mans shows that that isn't always necessary.

DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy View Post

If I recall correctly, Neil Bonnett said that the V6 racing engine was invented by the guy that sells chain hoists.

But I think the V-6 in the Ford GT-40 that's been racing in IMSA and at Le Mans shows that that isn't always necessary.
              Ditto the Acura and Nissan V6s.
              I'm sure a V6 with electrification will have no problem making a consistent and reliable 550 horses (well at least the nonelectrification part)...

Comment

VW said they are done developing the ICE.
                No signature required

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive View Post
                  VW said they are done developing the ICE.
                  "As mentioned by Jost, production of ICE’s will not be shut down completely however. At least for a while that is, as the company is still planning to produce such vehicles for countries in development, where access to electricity is still more of a luxury than everyday commodity. ICE’s could thus stay in production up until 2050."

https://plugin-magazine.com/driving/...opment-of-ice/

Comment

Development. VW will stop development. Not production. The current under development engine will be the last new engine.
                    No signature required

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive View Post
                      Development. VW will stop development. Not production. The current under development engine will be the last new engine.
                      Understand. I was just pointing out that VW was not getting out of the ICE business altogether.

Comment

I did some arithmetic on the new car. The current Gen-6 car has a minimum weight of 3250 lbs and 750 hp on short tracks(Darlington and under) and road courses, 550 hp on bigger ovals. Horsepower figures are per the OP article. If they are targeting 550 hp on the short tracks and road courses, to keep the same power to weight ratio would mean a racecar of about 2400 lbs. HP on the big tracks would then be roughly 405. No wonder they're talking to Dallara about chassis.

Comment

Just a note...power/weight ratios are more about acceleration than they are about top speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                            Fronstretch weighs in
                            https://www.frontstretch.com/2019/06...facturer-side/

That's a bunch to ask of a new manufacturer...spend both the big bucks to join the MENCS, AND develop regional series programs.
                            Just a nit...might be rather hard for Honda and Volkswagen to support the truck series
                            Originally posted by VirtualBalboa View Post
                            I can't see for the life of me that any manufacturer wants anything to do with the ladder series like K&N. For what? Honda or Volkswagen investing money there won't fix the problems inherent of it being a field of teenagers burning Daddy's money in purpose built race cars you can't use to do anything else.

Honda already does this in everything from Carting to Indycar in the US. HPD supports quarter midgets, Formula Ford, US F4, US F3, TCR and other Touring car programs, Spec Fit racing, IMSA (two classes) and Indycar.

Comment

Originally posted by AGRiculture View Post
                              As it has been related to me by a few in the NASCAR community, the idea is to comply with FIA safety rules, make things easier for NASCAR to police and to overall make participation much less expensive for teams on a number of levels.

One way this would work would be to follow the Class 1 formula (common chassis spec, unique bodies and engines). Another would be to go to a single chassis supplier. The way to save the most money would be to go to a single chassis (monocoque) supplier. Then a team might have two or three chassis for each entry instead of building ten new chassis each year on their own. Then each manufacturer would develop its own NASCAR-blessed skin. probably from another single source. This is the DPI model with one chassis supplier instead of four.

From a cost and safety standpoint, it makes all kinds of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post

That's the most unfortunate acronym in the history of sport.
                                No that would be the private high school over in Fulton, IL. For years they were known as the "Fulton Unity Christian Knights" ... F.U......
                                Last edited by doitagain; 07-11-2019, 06:56 PM.
                                World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Working...
                                X