No announcement yet.

OT Move Long Beach from Masters Weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IndyCar may have just caught a huge break. Tiger is two shots off the lead at the Masters but incoming weather means they are moving the starting time several hours earlier. This means a huge TV audience will be in front of their sets and maybe a couple of them flip over to watch Long Beach.

Comment

Despite much wailing and gnashing of teeth this may turn out to be scheduling genius!
      "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Comment

With 'Game Of Thrones' on later tonight, lotsa folks planning their days around the TV with a big hole in the afternoon.

Comment

I’m all for the masters starting earlier so it doesn’t overlap with long beach

Comment

Another question is why take a month off before Indy? I know it's a lot of work to get ready for Indy, but these are basically carryover spec cars. Why stop racing until May 11?
            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
              Another question is why take a month off before Indy? I know it's a lot of work to get ready for Indy, but these are basically carryover spec cars. Why stop racing until May 11?
              Yep. Indy should not be the first oval.

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
                In order to not have a month between races you have to have a viable venue willing to have a race. They don't have one.
                The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post
                  ... there is a big overlap between the golf and motorsports fan bases. That is what it is. .
                  Really? Seriously?
                  No signature required

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive View Post

Really? Seriously?
                    I would say so ... at least the Stand E crowd at Indy and the patrons at Barber Motorsports park reflect this

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                      IndyCar may have just caught a huge break. Tiger is two shots off the lead at the Masters but incoming weather means they are moving the starting time several hours earlier.
                      What we will see when the ratings come out is a once in a lifetime conditon. The Masters was over long before the race started, and, because the other networks scheduled to avoid going up against it, the race ended up facing the lightest schedule that will ever be. The rating will be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post
                        I get that there are people who do not like golf. OK. There are people that do not like strawberry ice cream as well.

The blunt facts are that, one, The Masters is a special event that gets a TV rating many times higher than any other golf event; two, it sucks up all of the attention in the sports media world for the weekend; and, three, there is a big overlap between the golf and motorsports fan bases. That is what it is. The fact that one particular person is not in that overlap is just not important.

When you go up against The Masters, you are fighting for crumbs. You are going to get ONLY the hardest of the hard core fans and that is all. And, at the end of the year, ad buyers look at the total ratings and do not care if you took on The Masters that one week or not. They just look at the numbers.

Now, if you are NASCAR and run every week, you do the smart thing and take Saturday night. If you are baseball or basketball or hockey and play every day, you take your lick and move on. But if you are Indy and you only run every 3rd weekend or so anyway, you avoid The Masters like it was the plague.
                        The claim likening The Masters to a bully kicking sand in the face of 98-pound sporting weakling LBGP is an example of a logical fallacy. Your blunt facts contain opinion and your declarations serve to misrepresent and to mislead. Uninformed speculation is not the same as gospel truth.

Results of numerous studies, including studies conducted for us, showed the Long Beach event quickly earned a place as something unique in the pantheon of sport. The race had a date that ensured respect and the event enjoyed media staffing commensurate with its stature by some of the continent's most astute sports writers and broadcasters. Not even The Masters could dent that. Results of a study done by one of Indycar's most important suppliers serve to refute your argument in its entirety.

As an aside, the buildup to the LBGP as well as the race weekend itself was our busiest time of the year responding to inquiries from other media members. These inquiries ended up a royal pain with Chris Economaki being the biggest pain.

None of our readers studied nor any potential reader surveyed felt victimized by the scheduling of Long Beach relative to The Masters, not even those persons who professed to be golfers. No advertiser we were aware of succumbed to a victim mentality. Not one told us its advertising message was overshadowed by the golf tournament. Hard data broken down, particularly HUT data (including investigations by time period for Saturday nights versus Sunday afternoons), race ratings data (analyzed by time period, by gender, by age, by education, by location, etc), time-shift numbers and line costs for the race promoter as well as for the broadcaster do not magically transform apples into into oranges. For a race to prove viable for a Saturday night telecast more factors need to be considered that simply what is on a competing channel. Do not forget that TV ratings estimates are more easily manipulated for gain than one of Bud Moore's Trans-Am engines.

TV ratings are a measure of popularity and not of news value or, ultimately, of newsworthiness.

We never heard one informed argument that Long Beach should be moved to a different date.
                        Last edited by editor; 04-16-2019, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post

I look at it from a team sponsorship standpoint. It's not as if a sponsor would be willing commit to a multi million dollar deal with a team with a 0.20 rating (Barber) but won't with a Masters induced 0.17.
                          Its been clearly stated multiple times by multiple people that when Indycar owners and Indycar themselves go into a sponsorship pitch meeting they sell the entire package including all the B to B benefits. These ratings have been around for multiple years. The TV issues are not new problems. They've been around forever and good teams have found a way to work around them.
                          I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Comment

Originally posted by pfc_m_drake View Post
                            Agreed.
                            I also dislike the same justification for ending the season in September and not giving Fontana a fall date, for example
                            Basically, "We can't run after September because we'd be up against the NFL and might get a low TV rating."
                            As if the 0.2 that you get by not running against the NFL is somehow more meaningful than the 0.17 you get when you DO run against the NFL.

This is slightly OT but can we even run Fontana at night in the fall? I'm thinking of NBC's schedule only.
                            I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyZ1 View Post

Its been clearly stated multiple times by multiple people that when Indycar owners and Indycar themselves go into a sponsorship pitch meeting they sell the entire package including all the B to B benefits. These ratings have been around for multiple years. The TV issues are not new problems. They've been around forever and good teams have found a way to work around them.
                              But don't you want teams other than the Big Three to thrive and be successful to, and not rely on drivers to "bring a budget"? Sure, Penske, Ganassi and Andretti can find sponsors but a healthy thriving series has solid sponsorship up and down the grid. NASCAR has the same issue. B2B gets you only so far.
                              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyZ1 View Post

This is slightly OT but can we even run Fontana at night in the fall? I'm thinking of NBC's schedule only.
                                I think it's immaterial, really. Since we're hypothetically talking October, you could run at 1pm local (4pm East Coast time). For that matter, if it were *purely* a scheduling issue, I think that's an easily solvable thing. However, just like the Watkins Glen Race, the problems run deeper than the inability of the concerned parties to find a date.

Comment

Working...
                                X