What IS 'The Vision?'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IS 'The Vision?'

Rev and Dog--move this if you must, but please allow it a few hours here first... thanks...
    To equalize the teams, level the playing field, and ensure a competitive, affordable racing series for all...
    11.76%
    To give back to short-track drivers a way to the Race that they gave its legacy and glory...
    2.35%
    To provide a series that will keep the Indianapolis 500 alive with drivers, respect its history, and preserve its status as The Greatest Race in the World...
    28.24%
    To save the Indianapolis Motor Speedway from the whims and mismanagement of an established series ****-bent on its own destruction...
    14.12%
    To bring American drivers back to the Great American Race; sending those foreign ride-buyers packing...
    0.00%
    To grab and keep the Power behind open wheel at all costs, even if it means destroying the sport...
    31.76%
    Something else altogether, which for the enlightenment and edification of all, is posted below...
    3.53%
    To eventually put the **** engines back in front and solve everything...
    8.24%
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

To me, all "The Vision" is anymore, is a taunt used by some on message boards to needle IRL fans.

Comment

This fan rejoiced when the IRL was formed and its goals were announced. I saw it as an attempt to return Indy car racing to its former status.

Sadly, with the exception of it being an oval series, it no longer is discernible from what it replaced.
      "It's not the split, it's not the lack of marketing, it's not the days the races run on, it's the product." Tommy Kendall

"....and the DRIVERS are the product !" SJFast

Comment

Incidentally, I'm unaware of the Indy 500 ever being referred to as the "Great American Race." That was Ken Squier's tag for the Daytona 500.
        "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Here's the image that created the vision

Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by indyracer56
            To me, all "The Vision" is anymore, is a taunt used by some on message boards to needle IRL fans.

I'm with 56 here.

Moving soon. . .
            "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

For many years I've been impressed with Tony George's vision for the future of open wheel racing. And frequently said so without reservation.

The most simple, tangible manifestation of the vision or lack of it is the fact that the IRL is excitedly looking forward to a 2004 season while the prior owner/mismanagers of another open wheel series are looking for a 2004 season.

Some make it happen, some let it happen, some wonder what happened.

Thank you, Tony George and staff, for the prospect of another thrilling IRL season in 2004. 2003 has been outstanding!
              "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

The Vision is my nick-name for the tall, attractive woman that works upstairs.
                One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

Originally posted by BlueStang
                  The Vision is my nick-name for the tall, attractive woman that works upstairs.
                  And, if memory serves correct, The Vision was also the name of one of the super heroes who held membership in Marvel comic's "The Avengers."

Comment

should't that read "Greatest Spectacle?" which reminds me of a joke...... There was once an absent minded nurse who was once told by a doctor "Nurse! I specifically remember telling you to remove that mans spectacles!"

-------------------------------------------
                    Please visit the tributes to 2 of my childhood favorites.
                    http://swedesavage42.tripod.com &

-------------------------------------------
                    GO Brad Pollard!
                    Please visit the tributes to my favorites:

Swede Savage / Art Pollard / Mel Kenyon /
                    Joe Leonard / Peter Revson

Indy Kids

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                      Incidentally, I'm unaware of the Indy 500 ever being referred to as the "Great American Race." That was Ken Squier's tag for the Daytona 500.
                      I remember hearing it discussed on a sportstalk show early on, about '97 or '98, where the hosts theorized that Tony George, rapidly losing his "Great American Race" to foreigners, said enough was enough and created the IRL.

That said, I also remember the term being used in Indianapolis quite a bit in the 70's, when I was growing up.
                      "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                      --Danny Noonan

Comment

Originally posted by BSJracing

Perhaps one of the truest statements ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by BSJracing

Actually, the formation of the IRL was announced before the 1994 Indy 500.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Comment

My .02:

One of the IRL's original taglines was, and I quote: "Preserving America's Oval Track Heritage."

That, to me is what should define "The Vision". Period. Take that for what you would. Appropriate comments are encouraged.
                            Last edited by Jamski; 09-29-2003, 12:32 PM.
                            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by ThingsThatExplode
                              My .02:

One of the IRL's original taglines was, and I quote: "Preserving America's Oval Track Heritage."

That, to me is what should define "The Vision". Period. Take that for what you would. Appropriate comments are encouraged.
                              And how has the IRL deviated from that?
                              Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎