Last Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Shot

I was thinking if Sam Hornish does go to NASCAR both series will be hurting very badly and for me that would be the last straw and getting CART and IRL somehow together atleast somewhat would be needed. The idea of motorock and the IRL losing there best driver and the possibilty of Al's retirement it would be hard for me to get really into any kind of racing. Do u think it would be a semi good idea for penske or whoever to buy out CART and try to get a 20-25 race scedule with 4-6 of carts road courses rolled in and maybe a 7-10 of there cars? I guess im dreaming but if Sam leaves and Motorock is threating this would be about it for me unless something similar to what i said above happens. Responces and ideas are welcome.

Sorry for the rant

what's the big deal about motorock?

Every IRL race I;ve attended this year has had some kind of lame azzed music act involved.

The most enthusiastic IRL crowd I've seen this year showed up early to see the sister-in-law sing.

screw a merger, the IRL has already got the teams, manufactures and all the inherent problems involved.
    "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Bird, im just a little bit woried to say the least about a 10 race schedule of only street races where the main attraction is unknown, the concert or the race.

Comment

gonna cut into your CART race attendance?

CART's fate is a long way from settled at this point in time.

Ten street races and a few concerts might just be an optomistic wish listening to some around here.

time will tell
        "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

My most feverant hope is Tony let's cart, or what's left of it, run his road racing division. That keeps Tracy out of the IRL, which will make most people here happy, keeps the road racers out of the IRL, because now they have a place to go, and keeps the IRL nothing but pure oval racing. Maybe if that happens, we might get some friggin' peace on the IRL board and a thread about driving a racecar won't die a horrible, ignored death in 20 minutes.
          "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Its a very long way from being settled, but you cant tell me that there going to run 20 races again next year and not lose a ton of money.

Comment

Tony George is in the strongest position of the IRL's existance, and people are still talking re-unification?

Only a fool believes in reunification... this isn't about money... it's personal.
              If it doesn't have wings... It isn't worth talking about!

Comment

Originally posted by speedvis
                Tony George is in the strongest position of the IRL's existance, and people are still talking re-unification?

Only a fool believes in reunification... this isn't about money... it's personal.
                It's been personal since TG ascended to the IMS throne.

Comment

IMO...

C^RT is already dead.

Currently they have a low ball 50 cent a share bid, that was rejected.

If C^RT doesn't get bought out it won't have the funds to stage a season in 2004 - d.o.a. ....dead

Lets say Gerry and Company up the ante and go for $1.00 a share and C^RT accepts. Currently (at 50 cents a share 7.5 million) they have 15 million on tap to run the 2004 season. If they spend 15 million to buy C^RT they will only have 7.5 million to run C^RT in 2004. But lets say they can somehow still get 15 million to run C^RT in 2004. What does that buy them?

The administrative costs of C^RT have been around 20 million a year. Perhaps C^RT can cut deep and get it down to a quarter of that. Lets say 5 million. Then they have 10 million left over.

This year (8 on CBS I believe) the TV is costing C^RT 24 million. So what does new C^RT do? Show all races on SpeedVision or some no name cable station? Pay for 4 races on CBS? What? They have 10 million dollars to produce shows and pay for coverage, that isn't much boys.

Now lets talk race promotion and teams.

With no money left who will promote the races or will there be no promotion out side of that offered by the city or track. Who will put up the money for "famous stars", if indeed they want to do a motorock concert?

How many teams will they have. C^RT this year spent 15 million on ESP and another 30 million to grid 18+ cars. Will the new CART even have an ESP. If so, where will the funding come from, they have already spent money on admin or TV?

When will the buy out occur? I bet right now event organizers and teams/drivers are worried about C^RT and 2004. If nothing is decided before September how many will wait any longer. My bet you will begin to see events/teams/drivers making other plans.

What if a buyout is announced before September? My guess is you will probably see one or more lawsuits if it isn't >1.50 a share. And $1.50 means 22.5 million dollars not 7.5. If there is a lawsuit, will that prevent a buy out or delay it? What effect will a 60-90 day delay have on events/drivers/teams?

Point is, I doubt C^RT has much if any chance at racing in 2004.
                  Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Tara, the questions and statements you made are dead on correct. nobody can logically disagree with what you laid out, that's why the next 30-45 days are going to be very ugly for CART. When you evaluate CART from a business standpoint, it's dead. The liabilities far outweigh what assets they have left and what cash is left will be soon gobbled up by the lawyers.

It's time to get your feet out of the water, the feeding frenzy is about to begin.

Comment

Originally posted by 8-up
                      It's time to get your feet out of the water, the feeding frenzy is about to begin.
                      I'm wearing socks - I'll be safe . ..

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                        keeps the road racers out of the IRL, because now they have a place to go
                        Road racers have won the last how many Indy 500s? And now you want them to leave???
                        I find facts to be neither insulting nor complimentary; the facts just are. - doitagain

Comment

Re: Last Shot

Originally posted by AlJRFAN
                          I was thinking if Sam Hornish does go to NASCAR both series will be hurting very badly
                          How do you figure NASCAR would be hurting at all if it added Sam Hornish to the lineup?

Granted, he's no Todd Bodine (or even a Jimmy Spencer), but I don't think his presence would hurt them at all. Probably enhance it.

And look at all the Indy 500 fans he'll be bringing with him that Tony Stewart left behind.
                          I find facts to be neither insulting nor complimentary; the facts just are. - doitagain

Comment

Is there anything you actually like about the IRL, or is target practise amusement enough for you?
                            Last edited by Doc Austin; 08-20-2003, 12:42 PM.
                            "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                              Is there anything you actually like about the IRL, or is target practise amusement enough for you?
                              Isn't this "pot calling kettle black"?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X