IRL officials "high-fiveing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRL officials "high-fiveing"

Per dia's request, I still want to move the discussion forward.

True, as dia said, maybe some have misinterpreted what happened, but if this is true, how is this not troubling?

Anybody at the track care to help us out here?
    "Why do we do this? Because we love it, don't want to be anywhere else but a race car. We will keep your legacy my friend. Racers race."

Tony Kanaan

I read it was the safety guys, so who cares? They are never in a position to show any favoritism anyway.
    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
      I read it was the safety guys, so who cares? They are never in a position to show any favoritism anyway.
      Well, if that's the case, then its a bit better, but I still think it is troubling that any officials associated with the IRL would show favoritism.
      "Why do we do this? Because we love it, don't want to be anywhere else but a race car. We will keep your legacy my friend. Racers race."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

Re: IRL officials "high-fiveing"

Originally posted by Racing Truth
        True, as dia said, maybe some have misinterpreted what happened, but if this is true, how is this not troubling?
        I see high fiving for a lot of drivers. This is the biggest non-issue since my socks didn't get blown off.

Comment

One of the "highlight" films from Indy (I believe it was a Mears - Johncock duel) shows a "yellowshirt" in the pit area thrusting his fist in the air and cheering as the pair dueled down to the finish. Why no outcry about an IMS employee showing favoritism? Or was he just showing ENTHUSIASM for a job well done?

Granted, I'm comparing apples to oranges (yellowshirt vs IRL official), but all I'm trying to point out is that PEOPLE get caught up in the excitement of the moment.

If I were an IRL official and a driver, any driver, with a Gen IV engine put one on the pole, you can bet your sweet --- I'd be doing high-fives. Only because now I can put all the BS and politics behind me and get back to the business at hand - RACING.

jcr

Comment

not the shortest path to credibility, but also not suprising
            "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

RT I hope they all wear Panther Yellow Shirts from now!!!

CART can use the help......why worry about EARL?
              http://brianswish.trackforum.com/brianswish_main.htm/

Comment

COMING THIS FALL ON ABC... from RT PRODUCTIONS...

"IRL DRAGNET" [dum-de-dum-dum]

"Look, Jim. Sam Hornish just got the pole."

"Yes. He did."

[dum-de-dum-dum]

"IRL DRAGNET." Where America watches the officiating crew of the most exciting racing series in the country... stand around and breathe.

"Look at Helio climb the fence again."

"How unseemly."

"Should we penalize him a lap?"

"No. That would show favoritism."

"Oh."

[dum-de-dum-dum]

"Look. Sarah Fisher's about to win."

"That's significant, isn't it?"

"To the fans, maybe. To us..."

"Just another day at the office."

"Want some coffee?"

[dum-de-dum-dum]

IRL DRAGNET.

[dum-de-dum-dum-DUMMMMMM...]

So unbiased, they'll turn your mind to sludge. Sunday afternoons on ABC.
                "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                --Danny Noonan

Comment

If it really bothers you that much, around, network out, find out the names of those whose actions have caused you to feel this way, and ask them your question. Why not get to the bottom of it, if it really bothers you that much.
                  "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
                  -John Morley

Comment

We still don't even know for sure what the officials were high-fiving. Maybe they just got a really good deal on some auto insurance.

One of the most replayed Indy clips ever is of Tony Hulman cheering AJ Foyt's '77 victory with both hands clasped over his head at the pit wall. Even as a dedicated Parnelli / Andretti fan who routinely was for "anybody but Foyt again" , I didn't find it "troubling", or recall any serious criticism.

Heck, they use the clip in current Firestone commercials, I think.

Even if it was related to Sam's run, it could just as easily have been just a celebration of a good show, a successful event, the success of the League, represented by not just Sam's effort but the cooperation and effort of all the participants and partners.

Was it Mike King on the radio that observed it? Maybe he can fill us in.
                    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

btw, skypigeon: brilliant parody I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me.
                      "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                      ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

We still don't even know for sure what the officials were high-fiving.
                        Or even if they did. For all we know, the radio guys did a little editorializing. Heard any opposing team members complaining? This whole non-issue is beyond silly.

Comment

I have no idea what this is about but I can only imagine.
                          Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Originally posted by trac-champ
                            I have no idea what this is about but I can only imagine.
                            priceless sig line trac-champ!
                            http://brianswish.trackforum.com/brianswish_main.htm/

Comment

I see this as a non-issue. Chevy has been struggling all year to the detriment of the league. So this quirky deal is hammered out where Chevy badges another approved engine and they are competitive again.

So IRL officials celebrate. I don't see anything wrong here. The deal was done - either as a fan you like what the IRL did or you don't. But just because IRL officials are happy that Chevy is competitive again is "after the fact."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X