Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratings For Gateway

IRL Gateway Race at 0.7

The IRL race on ABC from Gateway garnered final numbers of a 0.7 rating and 2 share, representing 715,000 households, according to Nielsen Media Research. (8/14)
    "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Impressive !
    "It's not the split, it's not the lack of marketing, it's not the days the races run on, it's the product." Tommy Kendall

"....and the DRIVERS are the product !" SJFast

Comment

perhaps if ABC and IMS were able to pick and choose which households were Neilson families, the numbers would be a little more in our favor.

say what you will, but I'm fairly convinced that those numbers are not a fair and true representation of who actually watched the race. i know my TV wasnt counted.

id also like to point out that the antiques roadshow prolly garners horrid tv ratings, and IMO, its one of the best shows on TV.
      Track Fifedom

Wheldon is a legend now. One of the immortal Gods of Speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath Hamilton
        say what you will, but I'm fairly convinced that those numbers are not a fair and true representation of who actually watched the race. i know my TV wasnt counted.
        It doesn't really matter what we think of the numbers or how we might rationalize them. The only thing that matters is what the sponsors and suppliers think of them.

Professor Joe
        Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

The day I care is the day I can't see the races on live TV anymore.

I believe the IRL contract with ABC is thru 2007, so remind me to start caring late 2006.

Seriously, the race was pretty boring unless you were a hard core fan like ourselves. Having the race start during the middle of Sears Point is kinda rough as well.

Comment

perhaps if ABC and IMS were able to pick and choose which households were Neilson families, the numbers would be a little more in our favor....
            That's gotta be the funniest thing I've read in a while.

I'm sure there are a fair number of criminals who would like to be able to pick and choose exactly who sits in the jury box at their trials in order to get a result a little more in their favor.

"I'll take Uncle Louie, my cousin Ricky, my sister Josephine, my next door neighbor that owe's me money, my nephew Tommy..."

There's a reason it isn't done that way in court and in the television ratings. Wouldn't you agree?
            "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by IndyJim
              Seriously, the race was pretty boring unless you were a hard core fan like ourselves. Having the race start during the middle of Sears Point is kinda rough as well.
              My concern rests with the fact that all non-Indy500 IndyCar races get about this same rating. I'm not sure people are tuning in to the exciting IndyCar races versus those that are not as great.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyJim
                The day I care is the day I can't see the races on live TV anymore.

I believe the IRL contract with ABC is thru 2007, so remind me to start caring late 2006....
                You don't suppose that the ABC contract has an "out" clause that gives the network the right to terminate the contract early should the ratings be, shall we say, low?

You might want to care about that.

You don't suppose that various team sponsors might revise their sponsorship decisions if the rating are, shall we say, unsatisfactory?

You might want to care about that.

We're going to need more people than just you, me and few hudred friends to keep things on the air.

You might think about turning your "care dial" up a few clicks sooner than late 2006.
                "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

At the rate it's going, it won't be long before most of it is V-O-D, and we'll have to pay a slight fee to watch sports. Bad news...an extra telecommunications bill. Good news...they'll know exactly how many are watching.

Watch what happens over the next ten years. Companies like GE/NBC are well positioned to take advantage of the evolution. Companies like Disney/ABC are flaming out in a torrent of abject ignorance.

These are fascinating times for those of us paying attention.

Comment

Yep, that abject ignorance is some bad stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Esquire59
                      My concern rests with the fact that all non-Indy500 IndyCar races get about this same rating. I'm not sure people are tuning in to the exciting IndyCar races versus those that are not as great.

Not true. 0.7 is as low as it gets for the IRL. Most races are above 1, and many of them are close to double this amount.

I'm not going to analyze the numbers; I just want accuracy.
                      No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

The statistical methods are sound. Just like presidential election polls, which get fairly accurate numbers by calling only 1,000 people nationwide.
                        No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler
                          The statistical methods are sound. Just like presidential election polls, which get fairly accurate numbers by calling only 1,000 people nationwide.
                          Take away 2000 and I'd agree with you. Before Election night, the polls were telling the pundits that Bush might win the popular vote but Gore the Electoral College. Uh, no...
                          "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                          --Danny Noonan

Comment

Fact - The IRL has been around since 1996

Fact - Some folks don't like that.

Fact - Since 1996, some folks have posted the ratings for each race, followed by all the chicken littles coming out, crying the sky is falling, " Full House reruns got more people to watch than Pikes Peak".

Fact - Indy Car racing is a niche sport.

Fact - Get used to it, enjoy it, be a fan.

Comment

I believe the IRL contract with ABC is thru 2007, so remind me to start caring late 2006.
                              I suppose those XFL fans said the same things of their multi-year deal with NBC.

Take away 2000 and I'd agree with you. Before Election night, the polls were telling the pundits that Bush might win the popular vote but Gore the Electoral College. Uh, no...
                              No. The Zogby Poll had Gore winning by about .5%, which is exactly what happened. Zogby has been unbelievably dead-on in the last two presidential elections.

Jeff

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X