• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final ratings

IRL ties the record low: 0.7, 2 share

NASCAR up 5%, to 5.6, 15 share.

Source: http://www.motorsportstv.com/08142003.htm
    "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

An American Road Race is now more popular than the Indy 500....incredible. Never in a million years....

Comment

Originally posted by OutKast
      An American Road Race is now more popular than the Indy 500....incredible. Never in a million years....
      Yep. Second year in a row that the Glen has beaten Indy.
      "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Instead of crowing about the problem like some rooster with a lollipop on a fence post, let's talk about how to fix it. Here are my suggestions:

1. Why not actually try promoting the product? It's a great one. Too bad no one knows about it.

2. Why not obtain and retain quality drivers instead of letting them find NASCAR? (Special note: You may have to put the engine company prostitution in check and relocate your moral compass for this idea to work. I doubt Toyota has ever heard of J.J. Yeley).

3. When is something going to be done about ABC and ESPN? They are the worst broadcast 'partners' in the history of television.
        Last edited by Defender; 08-14-2003, 09:44 AM.
        Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

Comment

Originally posted by Defender
          Instead of crowing about the problem like some rooster with a lollipop on a fence post, let's talk about how to fix it.
          Sure hope Wilke is out doing some work around the igloo and not here to read your suggestion. Could hurt his feelings........ LOL

Comment

Instead of crowing about the problem like some rooster with a lollipop on a fence post, let's talk about how to fix it.
            Road courses. Lots of 'em.

And a big apology from Tony.
            I find facts to be neither insulting nor complimentary; the facts just are. - doitagain

Comment

In a thread about Despain and Yates, going into last weekend, I mentioned that head to head with NASCAR, they would be lucky to get a "1," looks like they weren't lucky.

Look at two things, the fan in the know hasn't seen a good IndyCar event from Gateway, too bad he missed this one. NASCAR races, usually snoozers on TV, excel on the road courses, more so at Sears Point then at the Glen, so the fans watch them. A Texas or other IndyCar event would have done better, but still might not have achieved a "1" There is another reason, the Glen race had started, Jeff Gordon had been spun out, how many were going to leave that telecast after an hour and a half to see an IndyCar event that had been one of the worst of the season in the past? IMO, Gateway should have started an hour later, staggering start times doesn't work. Next up, this weekend, more of the same, plus the PGA, if Tiger is "in it" on Sunday... Then next weekend, when IndyCar has a chance at a free Sunday, they go to Nazareth, go figure. I expect a Nazareth event far better then IndyCar or CART ever presented, but on a free Sunday, with Bristol on Saturday night, I would rather we have Kentucky or Chicagoland to showcase. I guess they wanted to give Nazareth it's best and perhaps last chance to show it's stuff. With good (warm) weather and no NASCAR on TV, the great racing fans of Pennsylvania finally get their chance to show what they are made of, and there is an Andretti connection also.

Comment

Instead of crowing about the problem like some rooster with a lollipop on a fence post, let's talk about how to fix it. Here are my suggestions:

1. Why not actually try promoting the product? It's a great one. Too bad no one knows about it.

2. Why not obtain and retain quality drivers instead of letting them find NASCAR? (Special note: You may have to put the engine company prostitution in check and relocate your moral compass for this idea to work. I doubt Toyota has ever heard of J.J. Yeley).

3. When is something going to be done about ABC and ESPN? They are the worst broadcast 'partners' in the history of television.
                Who's crowing, Defender? Merely pointing out a fact.

1. Wish they'd done it back when it really mattered, and they had something to promote. The IRL spent three years with lightning in a bottle - Tony Stewart. And TG didn't promote squat. Those years were more "promotable" than the current CART lite.

2. No question, D. That's been my point for quite awhile, and you've hit me with your normal cutandpaste drones about how everything is just fine. Apparently, you've now realized that it's not. More Yeleys and less Dixons, Wheldons, and Scheckters, and the IRL might have a shot.

3. The IRL's getting what it gives, IMO.

Comment

wrong 'fender, in this case, all the promotion in the world wouldn't help this one, the staggered start time killed any chance.

You are right about one thing though, NASCAR fans love their drivers, that is what drives the popularity of the series. Look how many people watch golf when Tiger is in the thick of it. Look at the stars of basketball and their draw. Look at the drug enhanced homerun hitters of baseball and how many more fans they put in the seats of an attendance challenged city when they come to town. As good as the Helio Castroneves, Gil de Ferran, Tony Kanaan show is, as good as they drive, they don't "play in Peoria." Kenny Brack may have a good band, the girls might think he is cute, but he puts few butts in the seats, at the track or on the couch. Who knows that Hollywood isn't just a place in California? That is what has to be fixed, the lack of star power, recognizable American names the fans can support and root for, fix that and even your idea of a bad "partner" will get the good numbers. Soccer has had the same problem for years, the biggest names are imported, it has never caught on, years and years after youth soccer caught on.

Last week on wind ****, Bobby Rahal said owners couldn't be trusted to run a series, he was right, BTW Bobby, how many American drivers do you have in either your CART or IndyCar teams. IndyCar is up against the 800-pound NASCAR Gorilla, every car but one with an American driver in it that the fans love, that they can wear the shirt or hat with his name on it. "The owners can't be trusted," they are all greedy and self-centered, this problem must be solved by mandate. Toyota and Honda have to be convinced that they are throwing their money into a bottomless pit unless they help to bring along young American talent instead of looking for the easy way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                    Who's crowing, Defender? Merely pointing out a fact.

1. Wish they'd done it back when it really mattered, and they had something to promote. The IRL spent three years with lightning in a bottle - Tony Stewart. And TG didn't promote squat. Those years were more "promotable" than the current CART lite.

2. No question, D. That's been my point for quite awhile, and you've hit me with your normal cutandpaste drones about how everything is just fine. Apparently, you've now realized that it's not. More Yeleys and less Dixons, Wheldons, and Scheckters, and the IRL might have a shot.

3. The IRL's getting what it gives, IMO.
                    There was a day that fender/Hooter/Morgan was at least interesting but the schtick has gotten old. It's pretty obvious that IMS is content with the Cr*p shoveled over the airwaves by ABC, it explains why there's no promotion. Why would you promote race coverage like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle104
                      Sure hope Wilke is out doing some work around the igloo and not here to read your suggestion. Could hurt his feelings........ LOL
                      Pretty funny stuff from the moderator of the Old Geezer board. LOL, of course.

Comment

The circuit doesn't matter.

I would be willing to wager than Texas II, head to head, would be outdrawn by 43 NASCAR drivers pushing shopping carts around a grocery store parking lot.

(I'd also wager Kenny Wallace would still stink.)

It's about the drivers. The IRL has shown no inclination to turn their drivers into stars. The star of this show in the Indy 500.
                        http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by timinglights
                          Road courses. Lots of 'em.

And a big apology from Tony.
                          There's a time when the best help you can be is to stop "helping".
                          http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by trac-champ
                            There was a day that fender/Hooter/Morgan was at least interesting but the schtick has gotten old. It's pretty obvious that IMS is content with the Cr*p shoveled over the airwaves by ABC, it explains why there's no promotion. Why would you promote race coverage like that?
                            IMS may not be like what they see any more than we do but they don't have many options. They have a contract with ABC/ESPN and pretty weak numbers. They don't have much leverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                              Pretty funny stuff from the moderator of the Old Geezer board. LOL, of course.
                              And you're welcome there anytime..but, I gotta tell you now, I don't think the sanctioning bodies of old kept good books, even if they can be found, in the first place. So........

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X