Does Indycar Make or Lose Money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Indycar Make or Lose Money?

It seems one of the Cart fans arguments, to justify their Cart losing so much money, is that Indycar loses money every year. That TG has been pouring money into it and is losing a ton of Hulman money.

If you look at the league, I just don't believe they are losing money or if they are a small amount. Afterall, IRL has people paying them where Cart has the opposite.

-IRL gets paid by TV
    -IRL gets paid by sanction fees (although less than Cart)
    -Maybe one or two (Lazier and Sara) teams get some welfare the other teams have sponsors
    -IRL has league sponsorships

I may be missing something but I just don't think the Cart fan argument holds water???
    All is well in the Champcar world (momentum, engines, schedule, attendance) unless you like racing ;)

Fred Nation told the Indy Business Journal before the 2003 BY400 that the IRL was not profitable!

that comes from the insider of insiders! Debate it as you wish!

Comment

I think it's very possible that the IRL is not profitable at the moment. Of course, there's many ways that can be broken down. Three easy one are:

1) It has yet to make a profit for any season it has run thus far.

2) Though the past two seasons were profitable in and of themselves, over the past 8 years we have yet to get back all of the money that we've put in it.

3) It doesn't make a profit for tax reasons.

IMHO, #2 seems the most likely, though #1 and #3 wouldn't surprise me at all.

Judging by the rumored asking price for a series sponsor ($10 million), I would think they are certainly close to at least breaking even, if not making a little bit of a profit. And perhaps breaking even is all TG and the family care about.
      Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
        Fred Nation told the Indy Business Journal before the 2003 BY400 that the IRL was not profitable!

that comes from the insider of insiders! Debate it as you wish!
        I thought that the quote in the article was from some one else. It was just made to seem like Fred said it. I could be wrong though. Show us the article.
        Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
        Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

Comment

Okay, I found it

"The success of the Brickyard 400 has been good for the company and for the
          Indy Racing League. But the Indy Racing League probably would have survived
          without the Brickyard 400," he said.

Others aren't so sure. The IRL, Nation admitted, still isn't profitable.

"Eight years is a long time to run an operation at a deficit without
          alternative funding, no matter how deep your pockets," Frost said.
          QUOTE: Nation said the IRL would have survived with out the BY 400
          QUOTE: Frost said that the IRL has been running a deficit for 8 years.

the article states that Nation admitted the IRL wasn't profitable, but there is no quote. I'm a little confused by the working. He qoutes Fred of saying the IRL would have survived, then says others aren't so sure about that, says Fred "admitted the IRL is profitable"(????), then quotes Frost to back up that statement (???)
          Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
          Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

Comment

Who owns what?

Strictly speaking, the IRL probably loses a little bit of money. But IMS makes lots of money. Without the IRL, IMS might not make as much money as they do now. As far as the owners of both the IRL and IMS are concerned, they end up making more money with the IRL losing a little bit of money than they would if they didn't start the IRL at all.

The question shouldn't be does the IRL make or lose money, it should be does the Hulman Family make money on their "racing operations"? I believe they do.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X