Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do the Ratings Really Mean?

We're overdue for a good Pidge Poll.
    It's all going to **** in a handbasket; the IRL is doomed, doomed, DOOMED...
    14.29%
    It doesn't mean Jack Schmidt; Indy racing has always catered to a niche audience and besides, TV ratings as we know them are about to become irrelevant anyway...
    0.00%
    It means the League's marketing of the product totally and utterly sucks, and Tony George needs to kick hiney and take names...
    10.71%
    It means people have TONS more choices of what to watch than they did just eight years ago, and the casual fan is less likely to watch out of curiosity...
    7.14%
    It means NASCAR is handing the IRL's rump to it in a sling, and we need to start doing what they do if we want any kind of TV contract at all...
    10.71%
    It means stiffing the short trackers that made the IRL something unique and special isn't flying; the ratings were a LOT better then...
    14.29%
    It means enduring The Usual Suspects telling us, AGAIN, how STUPID we are for actually following and enjoying the IRL...
    7.14%
    It means CART must die, quickly...
    0.00%
    It means the IRL must merge with CART, now...
    0.00%
    It means the IRL must add road races, now...
    3.57%
    I have no clue what it means but by golly, I sure do have an opinion about it, and it's posted below...
    3.57%
    Put the **** engines back in front; that'll solve everything...
    28.57%

The poll is expired.

"I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

the ratings mean fenders sell.
    "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Doesn't seem to be much interest in your latest poll pige.......
      SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
      " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

* shrug *

Maybe it's all been done and said before...
        "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
        --Danny Noonan

Comment

TV ratings are IMPORTANT...if you don't think so, then why do shows with low ratings get bounced...as a sponsor, I want the biggest bang for my buck... a 6 is always better than a .8...

Comment

On a CPP basis, the IRL is a heckuva buy right now. NASCAR's broadcast partners will screw you six ways from Sunday to get your advertising dollars.

Really smart advertisers have begun to take advantage of the relative value, despite a sales department at ABC/ESPN that apparently can't tell sh*t from apple butter when it comes to selling the IRL.

Comment

As much as I was pretty much joking when I first stated this, I think the lack of (here we go) Billy Boat and the other short trackers has made a negative difference in the ratings.

Let's be honest, the ratings overall have dropped about 0.2 points this year per race in general.

That 0.2 rating equals around 200K to 250K in actuall viewers.

Having been to a lot of IRL races and hung out with a lot of IRL fans the past 7-8 years, it is very possible (and likely) that Billy has 200-250K fans across the US that really don't care as much abou the IRL now that Billy is sitting on the sidelines.

If, and this is a big if, the series picked up Boat AND one or two more short-trackers with a similar fan base numbers wise, it would be fairly easy to add another 500K viewers to each telecast.

Doing that, the ratings would correspondingly go up between 0.4 and 0.5.

But as I always say, what the h3ll do I know.
              Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

after reading two years worth of ratings threads I have a question....

what's an acceptable rating (for either series, is it the same) and why?

Comment

i agree with you HARDSCRABBLE. a buddy of mine who had lost interest in indy cars during the early '90's really got into the earlier version of the IRL. his favorite driver was/is Billy Boat. he has a hard time rooting for Kanaan, Dixon, etc. because he sees the Billy Boats of the world as local favorites who have moved up the ladder and has a chance at seeing them on their way up. who has ever seen Castroneves sling his go-kart around some karting track in Brazil??? now i really don't care where the drivers are from as long as they put on a "show" for us open-wheel racing fans. i think there are a lot of fans who would disagree with me.
                  www.dulcetroad.com

My Band's website!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Fry Sauce King
                    after reading two years worth of ratings threads I have a question....

what's an acceptable rating (for either series, is it the same) and why?
                    Pull up the ratings from 1995.
                    http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch
                      A lot has changed since 1995, not just the formation of the IRL. If CART was so strong, why have their ratings gone in the tank?
                      Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch
                        I did. Ratings for Indy Cars were a lot higher back then. Hey, you know what else I did while I was at it? I pulled up the ratings for major league baseball, the NBA, hockey, and every other sport you can imagine. You name it, I had it. Figure skating? No problemo.

Guess what some of you folks with slanted viewpoints always seem to forget? Ratings for all those sports except for NASCAR and the NFL are down as much or more than the IRL.

Did Tony cause all of that? I'd guess even the most bitter c^rt fan would say no. Hmmm. Perhaps there are other reasons.

Perhaps you might say, 'well if Tony hadn't thrown his little tantrum the ratings would be just as high.' It would be at that point that I'd begin chuckling knowingly to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Defender
                          I did. Ratings for Indy Cars were a lot higher back then. Hey, you know what else I did while I was at it? I pulled up the ratings for major league baseball, the NBA, hockey, and every other sport you can imagine. You name it, I had it. Figure skating? No problemo.

Guess what some of you folks with slanted viewpoints always seem to forget? Ratings for all those sports except for NASCAR and the NFL are down as much or more than the IRL.

Did Tony cause all of that? I'd guess even the most bitter c^rt fan would say no. Hmmm. Perhaps there are other reasons.

Perhaps you might say, 'well if Tony hadn't thrown his little tantrum the ratings would be just as high.' It would be at that point that I'd begin chuckling knowingly to myself.
                          what is an exceptable level for the ratings?......at what point will television be done with OW racing?

Comment

Television IS done with open wheel racing. One glance at ABC/ESPN's 'effort' is really the only proof you need.

Comment

Originally posted by The Fry Sauce King
                              what is an exceptable level for the ratings?......at what point will television be done with OW racing?
                              With the ratings going no where or dropping I am wondering if ABC will even want to renew the contract. It could be that the IRL will have to buy time slots like CART.
                              IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X