How ABC/ESPN Sells Motorsports Advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How ABC/ESPN Sells Motorsports Advertising

Here's the ABC/ESPN website for Motorsports Ad Sales: http://www.espnabcsportscms.com/adsa...orts_home.html

Under events is: "Indy 500" and "NHRA Series." Sales Materials includes similar information, the Indy 500 and the NHRA Series.

The programming schedule allows advertisers to search all of their motorsports programming. The options there are: All, Drag Racing, Miscellaneous, Motorcyle Racing, and Truck & Tractor. (IRL programming can be found under "Miscellaneous.")

Your honor, I rest my case.

Comment

If anything, it made me wonder if ABC/ESPN has a deal where everything other than Indy is treated like a time buy, making IMS responsible for selling the advertising.

I can't imagine them completely ignoring the series if they're able to make money off of it.

Comment

I can.

Comment

where does the buck stop Defender?
          "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

What's wrong?

The Indy 500 is listed.

Remain calm, all is well.
            http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird
              where does the buck stop Defender?
              Tony.

He needs to grow a pair where television is concerned or hire some lawyers, then head to New York and either straighten out or end this fiasco once and for all.

ABC and ESPN's current behavior is inexcusable.

Comment

Originally posted by Defender
                Tony.

He needs to grow a pair where television is concerned or hire some lawyers, then head to New York and either straighten out or end this fiasco once and for all.

In all fairness it's pretty difficult to go into battle with a string of .8s strapped to your leg.
                He'll have to pay - like CART - for better services. And the 500 will eventually equilibrate to a level just above the IRL weekly shows.
                Probably be more cost-effective to start hiring marketable (to the masses) drivers.
                Tough situation he's in.
                carl s
                Indio, CA
                Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by carl s
                  In all fairness it's pretty difficult to go into battle with a string of .8s strapped to your leg.
                  That is 60% the fault of the broadcast 'partner' and 40% the fault of the IRL for not being able to promote or keep viable driver names in the series.

He'll have to pay - like c^rt - for better services. And the 500 will eventually equilibrate to a level just above the IRL weekly shows.
                  Bullshirt. Total and complete bullshirt. The IRL will never have to pay a quality partner. Ever. I believe the 500 has bottomed out in terms of ratings, despite ABC. Of course, the one thing most every critic routinely forgets is the fact that the landscape is completely different for ALL sports on television since 1995. EVERYTHING except NASCAR and the NFL is down as much or more. Reality.

Probably be more cost-effective to start hiring marketable (to the masses) drivers.
                  One would think that would begin to get figured out.

Tough situation he's in.
                  Could be worse. c^rt, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Defender
                    Tony.

I hate to break it to ya, but ABC/ESPN dont owe the IRL/Indy 500 a living! Firstly they're paying for the privilige to show the races, secondly, if their IRL contract demands that that they show every IRL live then they must do it! If ABC has trouble selling advertising for the non-Indy 500 races whose fault is that?

Defender your concerns are exactly the same as those of the CART fans circa 1999 demanding more and more from ESPN when the ratings/ad revenue was decreasing!

Its a catch 22 the IRL is in, for ABC to promote them they need to be popular, to get popular they need sponsors! Chicken & Egg theory!

I believe our friendly ESPN mole, said here or 7G that ABC makes eneough money from the Indy 500 advertising (Race/quals/practice) to justify what they're spending on fees!

ABC was excpecting big gains this year, with manufacturer money it has, but with 0.8 raings , the only thing keeping the IRL afloat is the Indy 500

Just be lucky that ABC/ESPN hasn't rescheduled IRL races or hasn't bothered to show them!

Comment

"Just be lucky that ABC/ESPN hasn't rescheduled IRL races or hasn't bothered to show them!" Beer Baron

That's on the horizon BB

Tony - please start hiring some drivers you can market
                      and I do mean "you"
                      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by carl s
                        "That's on the horizon BB
                        "
                        Super!!

Comment

Just a wild-a$$ "grassy-knoll" theory:

The IRL holds a property ( TV rights) that they auction off to the highest bidder. The current holder of these rights, the Disney family of networks (ABC/ESPN/etal), knows that of the entire package, only the I-500 stands to generate a profit - all other parts will either lose money or break even at best. Now why should the Disney family of networks even try to promote the IRL when it's only the I-500 that they're after? Poor ratings for the other telecasts put them in an advantageous position when it comes time to renew the total package. None of the other networks will show any interest in a scenario that draws a 1.0 or lower on average, leaving the Disney family in a position to offer a low-ball figure and get what they only want in the first place - the rights to telecast the I-500.

(I'm glad I have a keyboard - they don't let me have sharp objects like pencils or pens here where I'm "staying")

jcr

Comment

BB,the one nice thing about CART going in the can is that you'll be left with no series to follow.
                            Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Originally posted by slinger
                              BB,the one nice thing about CART going in the can is that you'll be left with no series to follow.

For some reason the racing isnt as intense this year in the IRL!
                              I was at Chicagoland last year and had a blast!!

Let me be the first person to tell you that F1 is smokin' this year, there's plenty of racing to watch!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X