X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watkins Glen

From Motorsports TV

Watkins Glen Overnights Up 6%

Sunday's coverage of the Winston Cup race from Watkins Glen on NBC turned in a solid overnights of a 5.0 rating and 12 share, according to Nielsen Media Research, as reported in Sports Business Daily. It was easily the #1 rated sports broadcast for the weekend.

Re: Watkins Glen

Originally posted by hdolan
    From Motorsports TV
    It was easily the #1 rated sports broadcast for the weekend.
    I believe that is 2 weeks in a row.
    IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

America's best drivers from the little tracks across the plains.
      NASCAR has always understood!

carl s
      Indio, CA
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Thanks, again, for sharing. NASCAR also understands:

1. How to promote itself effectively.

2. How to make and keep drivers in the series.

3. How to maintain a relationship with professional broadcasters who take and treat their product seriously.

That's a good model for the IRL to follow.

Comment

I really fail to see why NASCAR related posts on the NASCAR forums get moved...

Comment

Maybe it's because it's rating related Howard, but I kind of agree with you. I don't know if I've seen any ratings post stay on the IRL/CART boards or not, but as bad as they are, why would anyone post about them. If the IRL posted a 5 or above rating, it would probably warrant a sticky on the IRL board. BTW, I'm much more of an open wheel fan than a Winstel fan.

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan
              I really fail to see why NASCAR related posts on the NASCAR forums get moved...
              Because it's good news.
              "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Ask or blame the NASCAR forum moderator.
                http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Defender
                  Thanks, again, for sharing. NASCAR also understands:

1. How to promote itself effectively.

2. How to make and keep drivers in the series.

3. How to maintain a relationship with professional broadcasters who take and treat their product seriously.

That's a good model for the IRL to follow.
                  You forgot this one:

4. The race doesn't have to be on an oval to get good ratings.
                  "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

If I'm the NFL, I'm looking over my shoulder.
                    "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
                    -Norman Mailer-

Comment

Originally posted by Spike
                      You forgot this one:

4. The race doesn't have to be on an oval to get good ratings.
                      BUT there has to be drivers that an audience wants to watch. NASCAR drivers could drive wheel barrels around Sears Point and the audience will still be there.

The NASCAR formula is pretty simple. You take drivers that have a following and make them NASCAR drivers. For every young new driver that you get you add to the NASCAR fan base. Once a NASCAR fan, NASCAR expects to keep you as a fan even when your driver retires or quits performing. This formula for attracting fans nets an expanding fan base.

Unfortunately the IRL will always be a niche sport because it depends upon road course drivers who for the most part bring no fan base to the IRL, especially in this country.
                      I would think by now that this administration would have a clue as to what it takes to get the job done. So, Get-er-done!!!!!

Comment

Oval drivers on ovals = success
                        Oval drivers on road courses = success
                        Road Race drivers on ovals = abject failure
                        "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                          Oval drivers on ovals = success
                          Oval drivers on road courses = success
                          Road Race drivers on ovals = abject failure
                          Road race drivers on a diverse set of courses = Success, at least for a while.

Unless you're going to try and tell me that CART wasn't successful from 1980-1995.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X