Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gateway overnight rating (warning - not good)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway overnight rating (warning - not good)

Gateway overnight = .8

2 share.

I wonder what the worst ratings the league has ever recieved for a telecast on the ABC network?

Comment

League: Not what some would like it to be, but at least has more stable teams; Chevy/Cosworth might be the great equalizer

Attendance: Save for Indy, not spectacular but at least growing

Sponsorship: Despite crap economy, never better in terms of stable, long-term sponsors

Racing: Generally as good as it gets

TV ratings: Abysmal

Despite all primary indicators saying ratings should be going up, they're actually going down. Fascinating. Y'all know how I personally feel about ratings (about to be made obsolete by the inevitable rise of on-demand television), but it's still strange...
      "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
      --Danny Noonan

Comment

Exactly what was the difference when CART ran at Michigan, Gateway, and Pheonix? None, they had great racing, but the crowds and the ratings didn't come in.

News flash to Tony : The crowds and ratings still aren't coming in.
        Last edited by Sybil D. Sobydianz; 08-12-2003, 05:13 PM.
        "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Lessons:

Market the series more effectively.

Retain the stars.

Kick ABC/ESPN's arse into shape for once.

As long as you fail to take the three steps above, you are doomed to that kind of abysmal showing.

Comment

Re: Gateway overnight rating (warning - not good)

Originally posted by SPM
            Gateway overnight = .8

2 share.
            "All" the rivers, they flow into the sea - or the sea dries-up
            Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by Defender
              Lessons:

Market the series more effectively.

Retain the stars.

Kick ABC/ESPN's arse into shape for once.

As long as you fail to take the three steps above, you are doomed to that kind of abysmal showing.
              sHooter, all your pre-requisites really shouldn't be needed here in the "Capitol Of Auto Racing"...but, YEEEIIIKES, I just saw the final #s for Indy -- don't ask.

Shockingly low. Something needs fixed -- quick.

(don't ask/PM me wanting to know the #s, either...I will not divulge them)

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle104
                sHooter, all your pre-requisites really shouldn't be needed here in the "Capitol Of Auto Racing"...but, YEEEIIIKES, I just saw the final #s for Indy -- don't ask.

Shockingly low. Something needs fixed -- quick.
                Alrighty, then, Mr. Smarty Pants...you're really good at pointing out real and perceived problems. Let's try a different tactic. How would you, Eagle 104, fix this shocking problem once and for all?

Comment

Alrighty, then, Mr. Smarty Pants...you're really good at pointing out real and perceived problems. Let's try a different tactic. How would you, Eagle 104, fix this shocking problem once and for all?
                  Hey, who says I WANT it fixed?! Just said it needs fixed. lol

Comment

Spend $100,000,000 and sign up Michael Schumacher for a season.

Loads of media attention, and costs a fraction of the cost of setting up the IRL.

And if you fix his car so he looks dead slow...give everyone else the Carpenter engines...
                    "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

If it doesn't Start with an N and end with an R Joe fan doesn't want to watch it. My father in law wouldn't watch any of the Michigan race because Pocono was on. I finally talked him into watching the last 30 laps of the Michigan race and he says "What a fantastic race!!!!" I think the only way people will watch open wheel racing is if you attach the name NAAASCAAR to it. It is the perception of most race fans that it is the only legitimate game in town and it is all they will watch.
                      Is it May yet?
                      Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

Originally posted by trac-champ
                        I wonder what the worst ratings the league has ever recieved for a telecast on the ABC network?
                        0.7. PPIR, 1999 and 2003. If the IRL gets their usual .2 to .3 drop in the finals, we're looking at a new record. "Growth" indeed.
                        "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by ensign14
                          Spend $100,000,000 and sign up Michael Schumacher for a season.

Loads of media attention, and costs a fraction of the cost of setting up the IRL.

And if you fix his car so he looks dead slow...give everyone else the Carpenter engines...
                          People in the US can watch Schumacher several times a year. They choose not to. F1 can't even pull the same ratings as ASA or dirt late models on Speed. Schumacher could probably turn that .8 overnight into a .7.
                          "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                            0.7. PPIR, 1999 and 2003. If the IRL gets their usual .2 to .3 drop in the finals, we're looking at a new record. "Growth" indeed.
                            It's a rotten shame.
                            They didn't have to let it get away.
                            And things were going so well at the start.
                            Good racing with drivers the fans were enthused over.
                            I'm glad I got to experience those early years.
                            I'm hoping reality and the track-owners lay down the law and we get our league turned around again.
                            carl s
                            Indio, CA
                            All the rivers, they flow into the sea - or the sea dries-up.
                            Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

The only way to fix it is to.........aw, what the he!!. I'm just beatin' a dead horse. Only a few people listen.
                              Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X