Rumor: RP wants the IMS, IRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: RP wants the IMS, IRL

A rumor afloat has it that TG and RP have met on more than one occasion lately, with Penske interested in buying the the lot- the IMS and IRL.

This would likely be good for racing, bad for Indianapolis (more absentee ownership in a city that has lost all important corporate HQs except the vulnerable Eli Lilly). The Hulmans and TG have been good for the city- they never asked for tax abatements- though a revitalized 500 could also be good for the economy.

The assumption is that Penske has thought enough about how to return the 500 to more interesting times, and perhaps make the IRL a really representative racing series by including real road races. One can assume the emminent demise of CART enters the equation.

How's RP gonna come up with enough scratch?

Comment

Please God, NO!

jmart

Comment

I think it would be the best thing that could ever happen to open wheel racing in america! Penske knows how to build a fan base and support a race track, look at Mich., Naz., Fontana in the Penske owned days (before ISC) - they where the best tracks in the country.

Comment

How many times in the last 15 years has this rumor surfaced?

Comment

Re: Rumor: RP wants the IMS, IRL

Originally posted by lanciaman

The assumption is that Penske has thought enough about how to return the 500 to more interesting times, and perhaps make the IRL a really representative racing series by including real road races. One can assume the emminent demise of CART enters the equation.
            Then I'm sure I am not the only one who feels that RP can go to ****

Better plan: give it to USAC

Comment

Re: Re: Rumor: RP wants the IMS, IRL

Originally posted by Brent_the_Lazier_fan

No

Comment

i have as much chance of buying the place.
                Last edited by trow; 08-08-2003, 07:35 AM.
                http://brianswish.trackforum.com/brianswish_main.htm/

Comment

Re: Rumor: RP wants the IMS, IRL

Originally posted by

lanciaman

A rumor afloat has it that TG and RP have met on more than one occasion lately, with Penske interested in buying the the lot- the IMS and IRL.

Alolha Buddie,,,

That's not a rumor,,, that's a fact... He's been trying to steal it for 30 plus years... Now he want to buy it,,,,

Reminds me of Pearl Harbor,,, and Hawaii.... First Bomb the sh-t out of it, when that didn't work, lets try to just steal it, when that didn't work,,, oh well, let's just be friends, and I will just buy it...

Now this guy Roger is way to smart for Tony to Handle Alone,,,,

Never Turn You Back on the Ocean Tony Boy, and NEVER turn your back on Roger Penske... And Bill France Jr, better watch out too... Both Bill France Jr, and the Boy Prince, have the same problem,,, the real Brain Trust Died, years ago...

Tony,,, Please,,, Please,,, Please,,,Read the Sig Line,,, Below....
                  Last edited by BigWheelHawaii; 08-08-2003, 07:38 AM.
                  Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Re: Re: Rumor: RP wants the IMS, IRL

Originally posted by Brent_the_Lazier_fan

USAC makes CART look like a well-run business.
                    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

"they never asked for tax abatements"

Not to derail the thread. But, I hear this comment about IMS often and it puzzles me. Companies, sports teams, etc. who have options and flexibility on where to locate use property tax abatements as a tool to create benefit to themselves based the fact that there is demand from other municipalties to move their enterprise there. We can argue whether this is dirty pool all day long. But, the fact is they do it because of supply and demand and competition among the municipalities.

The Indianpolis Motor Speedway cannot physically relocate. I'm sure IMS has been a good partner with the local municipalities, Speedway, Indianapolis, the state of Indiana. However, if they haven't pursued special tax abatements from any of them as some sports franchises and other enterprises have it's not because they are great private enterprise partners. It's because they have no leverage to do so. Put another way, the fact that Jim Irsay may use this tool as leverage for the Colts and Tony George and IMS do not, is not a reflection on their relative willingness to be a good private enterprise partner. The circumstances are apples and oranges.

Beans

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Rumor: RP wants the IMS, IRL

Originally posted by MichaelP

USAC makes CART look like a well-run business.

Well Yes Michael,,, Bingo,,,,

But again,,, only after Anton died,,,, up until that point,,,, they might of called it USAC,,,, but it was really the United States Hulman Club....
                        Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Why buy some thing you already own? The guy has won the last 4 500's he raced.

Why buy the cow if you get your milk free?

I give this rumour a 1 out of 100,000.

Comment

Consider the possibility that the Georges want to cash in and get out. The girls and TG just might want to take their pot and go elsewhere. It's the way of contemporary American business- build it up and sell. If enough family members want to do something else, they will.

I don't think Penske would have trouble finding financing.

And yes, I know the rumor has been knocked about before, but this time it has different legs. It sounds more like the family wanting to sell than Penske wanting to buy.

Whether the rumor is true or not, it is interesting to speculate on how RP might change things if he was owner.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyJim
                              Why buy some thing you already own? The guy has won the last 4 500's he raced.

Why buy the cow if you get your milk free?

I give this rumour a 1 out of 100,000.
                              Not exactly true. He's won the last 4 500's he's MADE.

Laid a colossal stinkbombing egg in '95

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X