No announcement yet.

Hey Racewriter,here's a thought....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indycoolest doesn't know what he is talking about. The Championship Trail existed long before USAC. When AAA dissolved their contest board in 1955, USAC was formed to fill the void. Midgets and sprints were never part of the Championship Trail. They were separate divisions with their own championships. The Championship Trail races were mostly on dirt and the regulations for the cars were the same as for Indianapolis and the few other paved tracks. There were no rules against rear engine cars and they appeared at Indianapolis before WW II. Had Miller's cars been successful, the rear engine revolution would have happened about 20 years earlier. Eventually, many of the dirt tracks were paved and the dirt races became a minority. The rules governing the cars remained the same and dirt cars made appearances at paved tracks throurg the 60s. Lloyd Ruby even drove a rear engine car in a dirt race. He did pretty well too, until the turbo got clogged and the car got filled up with dirt.

Anyway, the point of all this is that the Championship has a history going back a very long way, at least to 1909 and it was always for the Champ Cars, whether they ran on pavement, dirt or boards. Midgets and sprints were never part of the mix.
    Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Sorry folks. The die was cast in 1961. You cannot just flip a switch and go back in time 40 years. WAAAAYYYYY too late for that.
      "Why do we do this? Because we love it, don't want to be anywhere else but a race car. We will keep your legacy my friend. Racers race."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

Originally posted by slinger
        Indycoolest doesn't know what he is talking about. The Championship Trail existed long before USAC. When AAA dissolved their contest board in 1955, USAC was formed to fill the void. Midgets and sprints were never part of the Championship Trail. They were separate divisions with their own championships. The Championship Trail races were mostly on dirt and the regulations for the cars were the same as for Indianapolis and the few other paved tracks. There were no rules against rear engine cars and they appeared at Indianapolis before WW II. Had Miller's cars been successful, the rear engine revolution would have happened about 20 years earlier. Eventually, many of the dirt tracks were paved and the dirt races became a minority. The rules governing the cars remained the same and dirt cars made appearances at paved tracks throurg the 60s. Lloyd Ruby even drove a rear engine car in a dirt race. He did pretty well too, until the turbo got clogged and the car got filled up with dirt.

Anyway, the point of all this is that the Championship has a history going back a very long way, at least to 1909 and it was always for the Champ Cars, whether they ran on pavement, dirt or boards. Midgets and sprints were never part of the mix.
        Brother, you're so busy looking at the trees, you miss the forest.

"1956 was the first year of the USAC-sanctioned National Championship." As opposed to the AAA-sanctioned National Championship. I figured most would know that. Tell me, if I don't know what I'm talking about, what WAS the first year of the USAC-sanctioned National Championship?

With regard to the description of the championship itself, I was imprecise. What I should have said was something along the lines of "Until a separate division was made for road racing, and dirt tracks began to be phased out, a driver going after USAC's premier championship needed points from ovals, road circuits and dirt tracks. To be competitive one needed a chassis set-up especially for road courses, one for the bread and butter racing on oval tracks and a sturdy front-engined roadster that looked like, but was slightly larger than, a Sprint car." In short, three different chassis; I errored in my labeling of them.

So, now that the trees are all in place, what is your opinion of the post's central point?

Comment

Baloney, Racing Truth. Evolution is a natural thing only in nature. In sports, especially sports involving technology, evolution takes place when someone acts and not before. Anything that is done can be undone with a simple change of the rules. Where are the turbines? Where is 4WD? In F!, where are the high wings, ground effects, fat tire sand turbos? All these were wiped out with the stroke of a pen. All it takes is for someone with the will to do it.

Comment

Posted by Indycoolest:

"The notion of a top tier "middle" series, between IndyCar and NASCAR, seems nothing more than a restatement of USAC's 1971 decision. If one wants IndyCar to be the premier American open-wheel oval series, it would appear to make more sense to revisit USAC's 1974 decision banning rear-engined sprint cars. Decide differently this time and America's Silver Crown, etc. drivers would have more in common with IndyCar than NASCAR and the IRL might have its feeder series and the support of the spriget fan base."

I agree with this part completely. I don't think a top tier "middle" series will work either. I think there are only three choices. Either keep it the way it is now, do what you suggest or change the top tier including Indianapolis.

Comment

Racing Truth,why do you think that it's 40 years too late?No one is suggesting breaking out the Watson Offy roadsters?That would be ludicrous!All I,and a few others are suggesting,is that there should be another option.The one being foisted on us by The Euro Speedway is beginning to look like CART.This is boecoming increasingly unacceptable.Slinger is right when he asks the question,"Does The Speedway want to be come a destination series or a stop over series?"If they stay on this path,the IRL will be an F1 reject,F1 wannabe,and,an F1 never will be form of racing.Tony George has to know this.And if he is unwilling to do something to change this failed way of doing things,then the movers and shaker of open wheel oval track racing have to do it for him,hopefully,without him!

Comment

"No one is suggesting breaking out the Watson Offy roadsters?"

Who says?
                Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X