Huge doubts over Gold Coast Indy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge doubts over Gold Coast Indy

Huge doubts over Gold Coast Indy . . . Crikey!

There is increasing evidence to show the staging of the Gold Coast Indy 300 race in October may well be the last under the CART organisation . . .

But I thought they signed a new 5-year contract this year. After they served up that sham last year why would they want them back?

It is a good thing CART gets a free ride on the race organizers dime, if they had to pay anything at all they might not be able to go.

Comment

The event is a very good one for the local area. It generates $4 or $5 return into the local economy for every dollar spent in promotion not to mention the significant "goodwill" as well.

I don't believe the article is any new news nor does it reflect badly on the event. Mostly the story reports that organizers, including some of CART's most successful ones, are concerned.

As one would expect them to be.

CART needs to do something in the next few weeks.

Comment

If they miss yet another "knock your socks off" opp this Thursday they are probaoly toast. I will not embrace a "Miller," I have called him wrong too often, but yesterday on rpm he was as "down" on CART prospects as I have ever seen him, he wasn't even mad at them anymore.

Comment

The event is a very good one for the local area. It generates $4 or $5 return into the local economy for every dollar spent in promotion not to mention the significant "goodwill" as well.
          I disagree; if I were a local taxpayer, I don't think I'd be thrilled. The government puts in $18 million and supposedly this results in an extra $50 million being spent. I have my doubts about the the $50 million. This presumes that 50,000 people travel to the race and spend $1,000 each. I would assume that at least a few folks live in the are and buy tickets and drive home.

The other issue is the amount. For a far smaller amount, I would bet that Surfers could hold a Supercar event in the streets, round up some support races and the crowds wouldn't drop a bit. Somehow I have a feeling that Australia isn't teeming with Montiero and Haberfeld fans.

Comment

The only one they ever cared about was Dixon and he isn't even from there. Remember Wilke some people actually enjoy seeing the cars instead of worrying about who's driving them.
            Nolan Ryan was once bitten by a coyote

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
              I disagree; if I were a local taxpayer, I don't think I'd be thrilled. The government puts in $18 million and supposedly this results in an extra $50 million being spent. I have my doubts about the the $50 million. This presumes that 50,000 people travel to the race and spend $1,000 each. I would assume that at least a few folks live in the are and buy tickets and drive home.

The other issue is the amount. For a far smaller amount, I would bet that Surfers could hold a Supercar event in the streets, round up some support races and the crowds wouldn't drop a bit. Somehow I have a feeling that Australia isn't teeming with Montiero and Haberfeld fans.
              Remember that the $11 million in government support mentioned in the article (as well as the $50 million economic impact) are in Australian dollars. (Current exchange 1.00AUD = 0.647USD). So the numbers (in terms we can better understand) are US$ 7.117 million and US$32.350 million.

Still huge numbers to be sure, just not as big as they seemed before.

Comment

Economic impact is largely loose figures. If a guy buys a hot dog at the Surfers Paradise race instead of at the corner hot dog store there, what's the economic impact? At least at Indy, the money stays local.
                "The lunatic fringes on both sides need to be written off." -- stnky pete

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I've always wanted to visit Australia.........

SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                  " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

You guys ever heard of the multiplier effect?
                    Center Grove Trojans
                    2008 5A Football State Champs
                    2015 6A Football State Champs
                    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

who do you think you are - some dang banker or sumthin?

Comment

Originally posted by indycool
                        Economic impact is largely loose figures. If a guy buys a hot dog at the Surfers Paradise race instead of at the corner hot dog store there, what's the economic impact? At least at Indy, the money stays local.
                        Mmmm....

Hhhhhhot dogs.......
                        Rest in Peace, Miles Nelson

Never forget, 'Mackie' was here.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X