This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The costs of road racing

I guess "Tags' wiped one of Motorock's future owners cars at RA this weekend, first off, I hope he is ok. There are photos up at 7th denial, Anyway, this topic has been discussed here before. Done the IndyCar way, where wings are mandated and templated, a road race kit may involve a wing package, but a new sidepod or engine cover wouldn't be needed. There would be left side suspension pieces and maybe even some right side pieces to get the extreme camber we see in the CART cars. Engine changes, in power curves and mapping would be needed to but T,H and C would eat that.

The real cost is what we see with the "Tags" happening. During practice and qualifying for oval events, few catastrophic events happen (Little Foyt excluded), but they still do at times, and they cost more then rr crashes. At road race events, it isn't uncommon to knock off at least one corner and a wing or two on more then half the field, Tracy is usually good for multiple "events." This is where the extra costs lie, each "corner" is worth about $30K. each nose piece, rear wing, sidepod or undertray, thousands of dollars. Each road race event provides plenty of contact, though it may not be as severe, the end costs are cumulative and staggering.

No right turns, ever!

http://www.7thgear.com/ubbcgi/ultima...c;f=1;t=016876

Re: The costs of road racing

Originally posted by Mackie
    The real cost is what we see with the "Tags" happening. During practice and qualifying for oval events, few catastrophic events happen (Little Foyt excluded), but they still do at times, and they cost more then rr crashes. At road race events, it isn't uncommon to knock off at least one corner and a wing or two on more then half the field, Tracy is usually good for multiple "events." This is where the extra costs lie, each "corner" is worth about $30K. each nose piece, rear wing, sidepod or undertray, thousands of dollars. Each road race event provides plenty of contact, though it may not be as severe, the end costs are cumulative and staggering.

No right turns, ever!
    Do you have any hard data to back up your opinion that the "incident" rate during practice and qualifying ("more than half the field") in road racing is higher than oval racing? How about your contention that knocking off "one corner or a wing or two," as compared to the catastrophic results of an oval racer's impact with a wall at 220 mph, adds up to costs that "are cumulative and staggering?"

I believe you forgot to mention that the IndyCar's transmissions/differentials would likely not stand up to the rigors of road racing and would need replacement if the league plans to turn right.

Further, I see a cost you didn't mention: the former CART teams are experts at setting up a car for road racing while the long-time, mainstay IRL teams are not. Being competitive on road courses involves a lot more than just modifying the suspension pieces, running gear, and fuel pickups on the IndyCars. Assuming the league will institute some limit on testing to keep the costs down, the pur sang IRL teams will be at a decided disadvantage which will be difficult to overcome. Of course, most of the teams atop the current IRL standings are ex-CART teams anyway, so it might be difficult to tell if they will enjoy an additional 'unfair advantage' on the road courses.

Comment

just my eyes, use yours and you will see it also, it happens more often at street happenings, look there first.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X