You don't know what Indy means!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't know what Indy means!!!

A few weeks back I said that I thought that racing at Indy gave NASCAR the final push to get them out of the image of a regional series. They had been racing all over the country since the 60's but never got the attention that the first test and then the first race garnered.

In answer, some said that to the NASCAR teams it was just another race. Since then other drivers have mentioned what an Indy win would mean, Robby Gordon said that if he couldn't win an Indy 500, he would settle for a "Brickyard."

In the past few events NASCAR has had to trot out "old Morgan" to get to 43 cars, AJ Foyt has resorted to another number for the Harrah's Dodge, just so he would have a provisional to use to put that slug and unqualified driver in the Brickyard..

Jayski now lists 53 entries for this weekends Brickyard 400, only Daytona, at the start of the season, gets more. So NASCAR, having to resort to a field filler to get to the 43 entry level recently, has no trouble getting Indy entries, Indy must mean something to all those extra entries. It means everything to me.

Attaching "Indy" to ANYTHING makes it magical.
    ...---...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Chiszar
      After all, look what's happened to the Sundance film festival since they started referring to independent films as "indy films".
      "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

And I've seen far too many "Indy Bands" at dive clubs to mention. Some have even gone on to greatness. But, they will never be as cool as they were when they were an "Indy Band".
        We flipped our finger to the King of England
        Stole our country from the Indians
        With god on our side and guns in our hands
        We took it for our own!

Comment

One of my greatest thrills when I make the trip from Detroit Land to Indy, be it for the 500, or whatever, is when i can first peak thru the trees and see the grandstands for the first time.

Indy will always be special to me, no matter what anyone says, and no matter which sanctioning body over sees it, be it AAA, USAC, CART, the IRL, or YOMOMMA.

Indy really is the Emerald City for us kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Chiszar
            And take Indy away at your own peril:

http://charting.finsight.com/ext/cha...0-CO=17-HO:SW-
            "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

The "Racing Capital of The World". For any racer or fan, it is a trip that should be taken.
              "Freedom, just around the corner from you,
              With truth so far off what good would it do?"

Bob Dylan- "Jokerman"

Comment

i mightn't know what indy means, but I do know what "money" means!

Any average team picks up a lot in prize money for making the 43 at indy!

Comment

Re: You don't know what Indy means!!!

Originally posted by Mackie
                  ...Jayski now lists 53 entries for this weekends Brickyard 400, only Daytona, at the start of the season, gets more. So NASCAR, having to resort to a field filler to get to the 43 entry level recently, has no trouble getting Indy entries, Indy must mean something to all those extra entries. It means everything to me.
                  And yet we had just enough cars to fill the 500 a couple of months back with no bumping.

Looks like at least NASCAR knows what Indy means while the 500 is on the bubble.
                  "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

some would suggest the reason the field managed to be full is because it was Indy, the same reason NASCAR has their 53, which was my point anyway. Thanks for the help.

Comment

the lowest prize money paid out last year was $91,940

The Pocono 500 has lowest prize money of $40,000

most finishing positions pay $120,000 at Indy , which is comparable with winning any bogstandard NASCAR race

Comment

At least there will be ONE Bump Day this year.
                        "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                          I didn't know Jimmy Spencer was guaranteed to make the field.

I guess I should pay more attention to how many provisionals each driver has.

http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                            There are no provisionals in the Indy 500.

Nascar is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracer56
                              There are no provisionals in the Indy 500.

Nascar is a joke.
                              Fill Day was definitely a "provisional" day.

Fill Day was a joke.

NASCAR is the big leagues.

But keep bashing if that will make you feel better.
                              "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X