• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So if Champ Car runs out of money, what happens to the support series

Atlantics?
    Barber Dodge?
    Stars of Tomorrow?

Wouldn't they suspend those operations or cast them off on thier own somehow?
    Rest in Peace, Miles Nelson

Never forget, 'Mackie' was here.

I'd say the whole legacy of road racing in the USA would go!

That certainly would be a sad thing!!

Comment

I think Barber is owned by Barber. They would probably find a home on the ALMS or GrandAm weekends.

Atlantics could get sticky, but Toyota has a vested interest so I don't expect that series to be allowed to sink.

Karts? Herta and Tracy would probably pick that ball up. Karts are too big to go away, but as part of the ladder system, they might be in a little trouble.
      "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Think: Indy Lights.

Comment

Toyota Atlantics: Toyota Atlantics. 'Nuff said. They'll find a home, maybe even as support for the new Indy Racing League "Formula Indy" series.

What Doc said on the other two.
          "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
          --Danny Noonan

Comment

Doesn't the Toyota contract end in 05' ?

Is CART not the sole ownership entity for atlantics? If they cease operations, it would seem hard to justify keeping that going.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamracer

Is CART not the sole ownership entity for atlantics? If they cease operations, it would seem hard to justify keeping that going.
              I'm sure that Atlantics won't die on Pook's watch.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamracer

I believe you are right on both counts. RUMOR has it that Toyota will not renew when the contract ends and are looking to replace Nissan in the IPS. As for Atlantics, they are supposedly talking with Ford and/or Mazda about a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                  I believe you are right on both counts. RUMOR has it that Toyota will not renew when the contract ends and are looking to replace Nissan in the IPS. As for Atlantics, they are supposedly talking with Ford and/or Mazda about a replacement.
                  So.....the IPS would become the TPS.

We could get our "TPS reports". You gotta have a cover on those, you know. Did you get the memo?

Sorry. "Office Space" humour.

If Mazda replaced them, we gould get them to slap some Renesis rotaries AND twin turbos in there and have formula mazda on 'roids.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                      So, does that mean the "All roads lead to Indy" adds would be back, featuring a US 31 sign?
                      It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Bobby Rahal now owns the Stars of Tommorrow Series. Barber Dodge is still owned by Skip Barber. Those series would continue to exist.

From what I've heard, Toyota is very much interested in continuing their long relationship with the Atlantic Series. It isn't going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie
                          Whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob
                            Bobby Rahal now owns the Stars of Tommorrow Series. Barber Dodge is still owned by Skip Barber. Those series would continue to exist.

From what I've heard, Toyota is very much interested in continuing their long relationship with the Atlantic Series. It isn't going anywhere.
                            I guess then, that the "Official blah blah of the champ car word series" would be dropped.

I was just thinking "Where would they run?" about Atlantics and Barber Dodge, primarily...

They are a "support" series, no? I have a hard time believing they would draw more than flies to a track if they were the headliner (Trois-riveres excepted).

"Stars" races on thier own anyway so i could them continuing.

I guess it all depends on how much they rely on CART for dough.

Comment

"RUMOR has it that Toyota will not renew when the contract ends and are looking to replace Nissan in the IPS."

That's good. I was worried that if they changed engines they might go to an affordable Chevy or something. Wouldn't want it to be too easy for short trackers to get in.
                              Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X