Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 NASCAR TV Ratings

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NASCAR never 'had' to race on road courses, they chose to.
    Just as the NFL still 'chooses' to have the occasional game in Wembley Stadium, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, and Estadio Aztec
    NASCAR 'had' to run on dirt, now they choose not to (except for one Truck race).

    Yeah, NASCAR is about 90% ovals....but the road courses attract a pretty good attendance (perhaps because they are few and far between).
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

    Comment


    • Wembley Stadium, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, and Estadio Azteca were all built for soccer, also a rectangular sport, and thus are perfectly fine for American football without any changes to the sport at all. The reason the NFL runs there is to reach a different crowd, to modify the available audience, not to modify the sport itself. A proper analogy, thus to NASCAR would be NASCAR running at Rockingham (the one in England), Lausitz, Motegi, or Calder Park, all of which would be perfectly fine.

      When you find stories about other sports playing in goofy venues that require massive fish-out-of-water modifications to the sport, such as the NHL not using ice or MLB playing in a HS gym, give me a call.

      Comment


      • For Baseball, Basketball, Football, Ice Hockey, and "Soccer", as well as so many other stick and ball sports, the size and shape, and in many cases, the surface of the playing field is part of the rules of how the game is played. The size and shape (and surface) of the "playing field" for auto racing is not a part of the rules (with the exception of drag racing). Racing on ovals, just cause that what we have always done, is subjective and doesn't mean a darn thing.

        As I said, the "waybackwhen" machine is broken. Always has been. The world is always changing, and those who can't change with it are doomed to be a relic of the past.
        DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SamC View Post
          The reason the NFL runs there is to reach a different crowd, to modify the available audience, not to modify the sport itself.
          Could the reason NASCAR runs on road courses be "to reach a different crowd, to modify the available audience"?

          BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

          Comment


          • Sure. IMSA fans. I get that.

            Comment


            • I've been to races at Kentucky, Texas, and Chicago.
              I think the 1.5 became widely used because it's the best layout for spectators.
              One big grandstand on the front stretch and you can see the whole track well from every seat end to end top to bottom.
              And the back stretch for the big RVs.
              Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

              Comment


              • Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post

                That doesn't necessarily mean he liked them, or that he thought they were the best format for the product.
                I think that's about right. Dale Sr. probably didn't like road courses all that much, and he only won one road course race. But he did run fairly decent at road courses over the years. And that's just because he was such a competitor. He had a few good runs at Riverside that are probably all forgotten, and he won that pole at Watkins Glen with a still broken/healing collarbone in 1996.

                I seem to recall he desperately wanted a road course win under his belt before his career was over, and he finally got it at Sonoma. But generally he was probably right...couldn't they find someplace else out in California to run?

                I think 1 or 2 road courses per year is just fine. Watkins Glen is a great venue. The Charlotte roval stinks. The Xfinity cars at Mid-Ohio is so-so. Sonoma is what it is.
                Doctorindy.com

                Comment


                • I went to my first NASCAR race in 1968, the Daytona 500 that year. I've been attending NASCAR races and stock car races at small short tracks all over the southeast. So I'm no newbie. But as far as I'm concerned they can plow under any oval track 1 mile or over (maybe Darlington excepted). Plow them under and make a proper, or at least decent, road course. I view "rovals" as only a stop gap measure.

                  Hey, that's my desire/opinion. Your Mileage May Vary.

                  Look at the bright side. It would give TrackForum members something new to complain and ***** about. Something new that NASCAR is doing to ruin and destroy racing. Always a bright side.
                  DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
                    I've been to races at Kentucky, Texas, and Chicago.
                    I think the 1.5 became widely used because it's the best layout for spectators.
                    One big grandstand on the front stretch and you can see the whole track well from every seat end to end top to bottom.
                    And the back stretch for the big RVs.
                    That’s true. I went to the first race at Gateway, a track built on the cheap, and it was hard to see much because you end up looking at somebody’s shoulder.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post

                      That’s true. I went to the first race at Gateway, a track built on the cheap, and it was hard to see much because you end up looking at somebody’s shoulder.
                      Ive been saying for 35 years that they built the stands on the wrong side of the track at Pocono.

                      The sightlines are not good on the long main straightaway. Look to turn 4 (What turn 4?) and you see heads. Look to turn 1 and you see different heads.

                      They messed up when they put a tunnel in turn 2. The main grandstands should be over there.


                      Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
                      I think the 1.5 became widely used because it's the best layout for spectators.
                      One big grandstand on the front stretch and you can see the whole track well from every seat end to end top to bottom.
                      And the back stretch for the big RVs.
                      It works out good to put the RVs along the backstretch but that wasn't the plan everywhere..
                      I recall Texas management expecting stands all the way around the track eventually and Atlanta has no stands on the backstretch because a tornado destroyed them and they realized they were no longer needed so they were never replaced. Instant RV parking. Just add wind.
                      Live like Dave

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                        NASCAR never 'had' to race on road courses, they chose to.
                        Just as the NFL still 'chooses' to have the occasional game in Wembley Stadium, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, and Estadio Aztec
                        NASCAR 'had' to run on dirt, now they choose not to (except for one Truck race).

                        Yeah, NASCAR is about 90% ovals....but the road courses attract a pretty good attendance (perhaps because they are few and far between).
                        Only a handful of races outdraw Watkins Glen...

                        Comment

                        Unconfigured Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X