2019 IndyCar TV Ratings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FDX26 View Post
    Is the number of network races set at 8 for each season for the entire length of the contract with NBC? Is it possible for the number of network races to increase/decrease year over year???? I am curious to know if NBC sees what they consider to be solid numbers this year, would they consider moving more races to network TV.
    Barring a change in the rights holdings between the major networks, it really does not work that way.

First, understand that NBC is paid in a more direct way for NBCSN than it is for NBC O-T-A. It wants legitimate content on the SN, so you will pay for the SN. It is way more complicated than just thinking a sport "deserves" to be on the O-T-A.

But more importantly, NBC has a set of sports, for both the OTA and the SN, and its other channels, and it has a pretty penciled in schedule between all its sports. Unless one of those moves to another network, each will be in the weekends they have been in.

Comment

• Originally posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
      .9 seems pretty solid to me. It's nice to have 3 more network races still for this year.
      .anything is not "solid" for network TV. Especially when there was literally nothing else on at 1:00 on a Sunday, with the weather crappy (again) throughout the AOW home of the midwest.

But it doesn't matter if you think it is or I think it isn't, the people that matter are the sponsors who will determine if that's good enough or not to spend the kind of money they have to. Lets hope they do.

Comment

• If the .93 rating holds up in final numbers, it will be around 1,400,000 viewers.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrankShaft View Post

.anything is not "solid" for network TV. Especially when there was literally nothing else on at 1:00 on a Sunday...
          Valid point. Other than local baseball regionally, there were no other major broadcast sports in the time slot. That is not a good result.

Comment

• Originally posted by SamC View Post

Valid point. Other than local baseball regionally, there were no other major broadcast sports in the time slot.
            Not even. With the early start time the Cubs game was maybe in the first inning when the race ended.
            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

• Good news. For whatever reason, I'm glad people watched RA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cornys View Post
                Round 10 - Road America - 6/23/2019 - 12:00 PM - NBC

2019 - 1,104,000 viewers - 202,000 age 18-49 - 0.77 household rating - NBC 6/23/2019
                2018 - 322,000 viewers - 65,000 age 18-49 - 0.22 household rating - NBCSN 6/24/18
                2017 - 568,000 viewers - 110,000 age 18-49 - 0.37 household rating - NBCSN 6/25/17
                2016 - 470,000 viewers - N/A age 18-49 - 0.44 household rating - NBCSN 6/26/16
                2015*- 512,000 viewers - N/A age 18-49 - 0.37 household rating - NBCSN 6/27/15 *- Auto Club Speedway
                2014*- 396,000 viewers - N/A age 18-49 - 0.30 household rating - NBCSN 6/29/14 *- Streets of Houston Race 2
                Finals are in from Road America. No direct comparison, but it was a large step up from previous airings of the event.

Best comparison would be with St Pete 2018. This came in only slightly short of that event in viewership. If you are tallying the season viewership, this race replaces that event being on NBCSN vs ABC. Upcoming NBC races are a bonus to season viewership totals from here on out.

Comment

• Adam Stern‏Verified account @A_S12 39m39 minutes ago

More
                  .@NBC earned a 0.8 final rating and 1.104 million viewers for Sunday's #RevGroupGP @RoadAmerica, its most-watched IndyCar race on record aside from this year's Indy 500. NBC is averaging 2.3 million viewers per race on the broadcast channel through five races this year.

Adam Stern‏Verified account @A_S12 14m14 minutes ago

More
                  .@NBCSports says the 2.3 million viewers for NBC's first five races is up 18% vs. ABC’s five races in '18 (1.955M), though NBC's figures include digital streaming. Sunday's race averaged 4.9K streamers. NBC's final three races are Mid-Ohio, Portland and Laguna Seca.
                  I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Comment

• Why would NBC want to air any more races OTA than they are obligated to? They are trying to build their cable sports brand, which is currently a distant third behind ESPN and Fox Sports (but at least ahead of CBSSN). They need as much programming there as they can get. Right now, it's full of mostly minor properties that might eventually be squeezed if they do successfully build the brand, but that's down the road a ways.
                    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

• NBC only cares about the Indy 500. They air other races because IMS managed to negotiate them.

Comment

• I think the 2.3 million figure quoted a few post above for average NBC viewership through 5 races likely includes Monday re-runs on NBCSN. That is because if you average the P2+ Skedball for the same first five races, you get an average of 1.89 million. That's a difference of almost 22%.

But the same is true for the ABC 2018 numbers, but not as much different (1.995 million vs 1.704 million). Did ABC offer Monday re-runs on cable?

Streaming doesn't come close to accounting for the difference, at least based on the Road America numbers. Again referring to the post above, 4.9K streamers compared with 1104K (1.104 million) TV viewers is only 4.9/1104 = 0.44%.

Comment

• Originally posted by FourCamFord View Post
                          4.9K streamers compared with 1104K (1.104 million) TV viewers is only 4.9/1104 = 0.44%.
                          Question: if you stream a race like this on NBCSN Indycar Gold, is it commercial free? Or basically same as what you see on the free broadcast?

Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• Originally posted by nascarnation View Post

Question: if you stream a race like this on NBCSN Indycar Gold, is it commercial free? Or basically same as what you see on the free broadcast?
                            I believe it is commercial free, but I don't know from first hand experience. Just what I've read on here. Does anybody else know if this is true?

Comment

• Someone already posted elsewhere that it was just like a commercial TV broadcast.
                              "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Comment

• Originally posted by fenderless View Post
                                Someone already posted elsewhere that it was just like a commercial TV broadcast.
                                Thanks.
                                Then to me, the Gold package is not that interesting.
                                Throw in commercial-free races and I think I'd sign up.
                                Maybe that's why there's only 5000 people watching via that deal.
                                Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Working...
                                X