Announcement

Collapse

Upgrade to fix search indexes

We will be upgrading www.trackforum.org at approximately 2019-05-21 14:30:00 Pacific Time. The site will be unavailable during the upgrade and you might experience broken styles, both of which shouldn't last for more than a few minutes. We'll let you know when the upgrade is complete via Facebook and Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/TrackForum/
https://twitter.com/TrackForumLive
See more
See less

2019 IndyCar TV Ratings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FWIW, the final Skedball viewership number for Indy GP was 1066k, slightly lower than the 1072k Total Audience Delivery reported in yesterday's press release. Also the HH rating was given as 0.71 and 18-49 viewership 221k, which surprisingly is less than 223k for the Spanish GP on cable.

    Having only 20% of your viewers in the 18-49 age bracket must be a tough sell to sponsors.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Automotive View Post

      Nobody ever asks.
      Do you believe all the people counted in the rating for last weekend's Indy GP were "asked" if they watched?

      "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Spike View Post
        Do you believe all the people counted in the rating for last weekend's Indy GP were "asked" if they watched?
        I recognize through other threads that you are a semantics fanatic. Forgive me.

        Forget my comment about "asking".

        Replace "asks" with "...includes my viewing for the full duration of the event".
        1. How were the people counted?
        2. Was this number just made up or is there really scientific factual hard data?
        3. Were they (not "asked") but in some other way "counted"?

        I can guarantee you that I was not part of that "count" - that is what I am stating.
        No signature required

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Automotive View Post
          I recognize through other threads that you are a semantics fanatic. Forgive me.
          Just ignore him like everybody else does. You don't need his forgiveness, or to jump through his semantic hoops.
          No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

          Comment


          • Ignore the poster above and his dismissive attitude.

            Originally posted by Automotive View Post

            I recognize through other threads that you are a semantics fanatic. Forgive me.
            No, this has nothing to do with semantics so no worries about that.

            Originally posted by Automotive View Post
            Replace "asks" with "...includes my viewing for the full duration of the event".
            1. How were the people counted?
            2. Was this number just made up or is there really scientific factual hard data?
            3. Were they (not "asked") but in some other way "counted"?

            I can guarantee you that I was not part of that "count" - that is what I am stating.
            We've had numerous threads in this very forum over the last several years dealing with the science and technology of how viewership is determined and how ratings numbers are ultimately derived from various data sources. Rather than rehash those threads and some very detailed and lengthy posts contained therein, I would suggest that you do a quick search online that will yield lots of great articles on the subject.

            Once you do that you may find out that you cannot safely say that you, or your friends, were not counted.
            "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by FourCamFord View Post
              <snip>

              Having only 20% of your viewers in the 18-49 age bracket must be a tough sell to sponsors.
              ... Depends. :giggle:
              "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

              Comment


              • Originally posted by fenderless View Post

                ... Depends. :giggle:
                Excellent.

                But seriously, it seems like we should be seeing pharma ads.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post

                  Just ignore him like everybody else does. You don't need his forgiveness, or to jump through his semantic hoops.
                  It's not "semantic hoops."

                  Criticizing a survey because not every single person was asked to participate demonstrates a stunning lack of understanding of basic statistics.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by FourCamFord View Post

                    Excellent.

                    But seriously, it seems like we should be seeing pharma ads.
                    That would work well for multi car teams. Put the drug on one car and the others can be labeled with all its possible side effects.
                    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Cornys View Post
                      Round 5 - Indy GP - 5/11/2019 - 3:00 PM - NBC

                      2019 - 1,066,000 viewers - 221,000 age 18-49 - 0.71 household rating - NBC 5/11/19
                      2018 - 780,000 viewers - 181,000 age 18-49 - 0.55 household rating - ABC 5/12/18
                      2017 - 969,000 viewers - 246,000 age 18-49 - 0.66 household rating - ABC 5/13/17
                      2016 - 905,000 viewers - N/A age 18-49 - 0.70 household rating - ABC 5/14/16
                      2015 - 1,000,000 viewers - N/A age 18-49 - 0.70 household rating - ABC 5/9/15
                      2014 - 1,300,000 viewers - N/A age 18-49 - 0.92 household rating - ABC 5/10/14
                      6 year history of the event. All are final ratings.

                      This year's race erased the last 3 years of viewership losses. 2014 was the inaugural event.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by FourCamFord View Post
                        FWIW, the final Skedball viewership number for Indy GP was 1066k, slightly lower than the 1072k Total Audience Delivery reported in yesterday's press release. Also the HH rating was given as 0.71 and 18-49 viewership 221k, which surprisingly is less than 223k for the Spanish GP on cable.

                        Having only 20% of your viewers in the 18-49 age bracket must be a tough sell to sponsors.
                        So 6,000 NBC Gold viewers. That means that the NBC Gold package has earned at least $240,000 of revenue (@ an average of $40 a person). The real number is likely much more than that.

                        The TV audience is known to be older, and marketing demographics just dictate what kind of sponsors are interested in your product. NBC will likely work to skew towards youth, but it will be a difficult and slow sell.

                        Does anybody have the 18-49 number for the Kentucky Derby?

                        Comment


                        • Based on a lesser promoted Indianapolis GP, the viewership numbers for the 500 should be in the 6,000,000 range again this year.

                          Scaling those levels of gains is harder to accomplish. The true gain was 286,000 people. Turning that into 1,100,000 more people watching is much harder, even if the proportional gain is the same.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Cornys View Post
                            Does anybody have the 18-49 number for the Kentucky Derby?
                            The Derby Kentuck got 3.5 million out of 16 million (under 25%).

                            To compare, NBA Playoffs' Golden State Warriors gets 3 out of 7 million (over 40%).

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by fenderless View Post

                              That would work well for multi car teams. Put the drug on one car and the others can be labeled with all its possible side effects.
                              Would this mean that opposing teams would advertise the law firms who will be wanting to sue said pharma companies for those side effects ?
                              "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

                              Lee Iacocca

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by NaBUru38 View Post

                                The Derby Kentuck got 3.5 million out of 16 million (under 25%).

                                To compare, NBA Playoffs' Golden State Warriors gets 3 out of 7 million (over 40%).
                                Thank you. IndyCar's ratings skew is not abnormal then by any means. NASCAR is similar.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X