Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Coast V8s prove a smash hit

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...024-16z16.html

Sunday's crowd of 58,977 took the spectator total for the three day event at Surfers Paradise to 170,073, down on the peak years when the American Indy Racing Series visited but still a number to please organisers.
    To retain an international flavour, 18 overseas-based drivers were recruited to pair up with regular V8 drivers for the weekend and Whitaker says the collection of former Formula One, IndyCar, World and European Touring Car stars had been a key component to the weekend's success.

"Every single one of them has been a fantastic ambassador, not just for their own sport, for themselves, but more importantly also for our sport.

"They've all done exactly what we asked them to do, they've all done it willingly and they're all having a great time here."
    Aussies rock
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

What? You mean the event was a success without the IRL racing there? Shocking.

Comment

Here are comments from fans in Australia:

I would like to know how many seats were available in the Grandstands and how many they actually sold as watching the TV coverage they were very empty which is not surprising at the price they wanted per seat at $195 for the cheapest ones.
      Pity the Grandstands were not cheaper , then maybe some more people would have used them. At $195 a seat for the cheapest it was not a family friendly event financially and maybe if they were cheaper they would not have been so empty.
      Let the auditor general see the real crowd figures.There is no way in the world that these figures are accurate and are put out to stoke the egos behind the event.Didn't they also claim 60000+ at Abu Dhabi earlier in the year.The aerial shots and the large number of empty grand stand seats tell the real story.After the bad driving early in the race today's race was a cracker.
      http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...0.html#comment

Sounds like Baghdad Bob found new employment in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Dretti View Post
        What? You mean the event was a success without the IRL racing there? Shocking.
        If you read the article it says attendance is down from when Indy Cars were there. OBTW, the IRL no longer races anywhere.
        "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
        " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

Comment

I watched the race on US TV (Versus) and it was great racing. The V8s really put on a great show with some amazing talent.
          And don't forget the heat!

Comment

Aren't they similar to DTM? I might check them out when they come across the pond, unless NASCAR takes them over completely.
            "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
            " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

Comment

The cars did look pretty cool from the few clips I saw.
              "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Formula Indy View Post
                Aren't they similar to DTM? I might check them out when they come across the pond, unless NASCAR takes them over completely.
                They are like DTM, except with Aussie cars (Ford and GM-Holden), right hand drive, and V8s.

V8s are pushrod fuel injected Ford 5.0L 302 SVO motors or GM 5.0L (Chevrolet/Holden) LS1s engines.
                And don't forget the heat!

Comment

The Italian Superstars series is like V8 Supercars, but with more manufacturers and better racing. Give that a shot while you're looking for something to whet your appetite this winter.
                  "It takes a special level of incompetance to make a schedule this terrible. America is possibly the greatest country in the world overall for tracks. To make a bad schedule in America takes effort. A special kind of effort. A kind of effort that only IndyCar could come up with."

Comment

They are a cross between traditional touring cars and NASCAR's.

- Sillhouetes only - other than that no production base
                    - Cars are functionally identical under the bodywork
                    - 5L pushrod V8's (with electronic fuel injection) - approx 650hp.
                    - 6 speed sequential (mechanically linked, not electro hydrolic)
                    - Locked rear differential. Meaning they corner like a Kart by picking up the inside rear tyre.

The racing is extremely close, although I prefer more traditional touring cars that are production derived with modifications.

DTM is in the same boat, although much more advanced. Less power (4L V8's with 450hp) but much more downforce, much tyre grip, much less weight. The comments of many drivers is that DTM cars feel more like open wheel cars to drive. DTM cars are more like a Le Mans prototype than a touring car.

Comment

Somewhat accurate point of view

"I was in attendance at the Gold Coast 600 - the successor to the hugely successful Gold Coast Indy, run since 1991 and run to over 100 000 people on race day and over 300 000 people over the weekend. We constantly heard how people only came for the V8 Supercars and to party. Given the chance in the disastrous 2009 event, where the A1GP was a no show, the event saw its worst Sunday attendance ever with fewer than 50 000 people coming through the gates. Hardly a ringing endorsement to the national series."

read the rest at >>> http://feedmesportscars.com/node/7894

Comment

Originally posted by ForzaFerrari View Post
                        They are a cross between traditional touring cars and NASCAR's.

- Sillhouetes only - other than that no production base
                        - Cars are functionally identical under the bodywork
                        - 5L pushrod V8's (with electronic fuel injection) - approx 650hp.
                        - 6 speed sequential (mechanically linked, not electro hydrolic)
                        - Locked rear differential. Meaning they corner like a Kart by picking up the inside rear tyre.

The racing is extremely close, although I prefer more traditional touring cars that are production derived with modifications.

DTM is in the same boat, although much more advanced. Less power (4L V8's with 450hp) but much more downforce, much tyre grip, much less weight. The comments of many drivers is that DTM cars feel more like open wheel cars to drive. DTM cars are more like a Le Mans prototype than a touring car.
                        Funny that no one said it, but these cars are more like Trans-Am than anything else...

Basically I like the series, but many drivers seem to rely too much on the Bump & Run.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X