NASCAR wishes its Chase was as competitive as Formula One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirtualBalboa View Post
    That was the case for NASCAR too. Who is anyone kidding there?

Just two years ago, the F1 title came down to the last turn on the last lap at the last race between two guys who had never before raced for a title. NASCAR's championship has gone to the same guy 4 years in a row even with their stupid playoff system. Funny how the series that doesn't tamper with what doesn't need to be tampered has no issues with collapsing ratings and gets countries to throw tens of millions of dollars at them in a recession while giving fans compelling title chases. You'd think there'd be a lesson there.
    Well if you want to look at the positives, maybe you should also look at the negatives? Honda, Toyota and BMW left the series, Renault management ordered it's driver to delibaretely crash his car, Mercedes was fined $100 million, a couple of its 24 cars are so painfully slow that they barely run faster then the junior gp2 cars, they have changed their qualifying and points system on multiple occasions in the last decade and although the championship has been very exciting the last couple of years there have also been a lot of mega-dominating seasons in the last 15 years.

Imo Nascar and F1 are doing things right AND wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
      It is competitive.

Of course the NFL could make every game competetive too if they made the score 21-20 at the Two Minute warning But many NFL fans would stop wathcing becasue theyd realize its a faked form of excitement. Not every football game is a barn burner & some racing fans think seeing one driver destroy the field and wrap it up early is good racing.

Competitive is a very flexible term when they just randomly decide to take 200+ points away from the points leader at an arbitrary date on the calendar.
      It simply turns many poeple off.
      Don't get me wrong, i really don't like the chase system, but isn't NFL doing somewhat the same with it's playoffs? Nice that you've finished 16-0, but now we are going to do a knock-out competition with the best 12 teams, and ok because you did so good you get home field advantage and a bye. I'm pretty sure that if Nascar had started this system 40 years ago nobody would care (or possibly even saying, that is tradition, we don't want to change it).

Comment

Ive only been watching F1 since 200o so I still consider myself a newbie. But Ive seen races where the pole winner led every lap that werre instant classics. And Ive seen some guys spend 5 or 6 laps trying and failing to get around the car in front of him and it was simply compelling racing.

Purity Schmurity. Good clean racing is light years ahead of following a guy and waitng for the last lap to send him sailing into the SAFEr barrier to make the pass.
        I used to be a huge follower of F1 (been to many gp's in person) in the 90's , but lost interest in it. For me there have been to many seasons in which one team simply dominated and the races were parades. When i realized that even in the midpack there wasn't any overtaking at Spa-Francorchamps, and bernie and max had no interest in actually improve the racing i lost interest. You call it good clean racing, but when aerodynamics make it impossible for a car to be near a carlength of another car in a corner then the racing just won't be good. Nowadays when the gp is starting i might watch the start and when it's raining i might watch the whole gp.

Comment

Originally posted by Roninho View Post
          Don't get me wrong, i really don't like the chase system, but isn't NFL doing somewhat the same with it's playoffs? Nice that you've finished 16-0, but now we are going to do a knock-out competition with the best 12 teams, and ok because you did so good you get home field advantage and a bye. I'm pretty sure that if Nascar had started this system 40 years ago nobody would care (or possibly even saying, that is tradition, we don't want to change it).
          The NFL doesnt let the 16 teams that didnt make the playoffs keep playing. And they are totally different forms of competitiion. Sports like auto racing, golf, track and field, etc are different in that one competitor is competing against many (sometimes hundreds) of other competitors. Sports like football, baseball basketball have one team competing against just one other team.

And when you lose you stop playing and your season is over. Imagine if the Rangers had to fly to Detroit right now to play the Tigers
          Makes no sense

Two drivers fighting for 28th can have a direct impact on two drivers fighting for the Championship.

But two 2-13 teams playing for nothing but pride and stats on the West Coast has no impact on two 13-2 teams fighting for a first week bye on the East coast.

I feel that NASCAR has tried to shoe-horn a playoff system into a form of competiton where a playoff system doesnt work

Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course someone will say that even in the old system you had back markers racing with the championship contneders but under the old system one pretty much had to accept that there would be 2 or 3 weekend where just plain bad luck did them in

Its more of an annoyance when theres 30+ races to make points.

You get taken out by some wanker in a couple races when you have only 10 races and youre pretty much done

YMMV
          KevMcNJ
          Is Bat Boy
          Last edited by KevMcNJ; 10-31-2010, 11:55 AM.
          Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan View Post
            Ask Dario and Sam...
            and
            Tracy
            Carpentier
            Danica
            Villeneuve
            Papis
            Allmendinger
            Speed
            Montoya

and a few others would agree - juxtaposition of OW and Nas has changed a lot from the time when AJ, Mario, and Gurney would drop in and kick butt
            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
              F1 will never been king in the US. You can take that to the bank and cash it.
              I'm sure F1 is plenty happy getting more viewers than the Super Bowl 18 times per year.

Comment

FEUD OF THE WEEK: NASCAR vs. The NFL

Pigskin vs. sheet metal. Which will you watch?

That’s the question on a lot of people’s minds as NASCAR’s 2010 Sprint Cup season hits its final three-week stretch.

With just 14 points separating points leader Jimmie Johnson and Denny Hamlin, and Kevin Harvick just 38 points behind Johnson, NASCAR has gotten what it wished for when it created the Chase For The Sprint Cup in 2004 and tweaked the format in 2007.

It appears NASCAR will have an exciting and compelling championship race to the finish, just as it did during the inaugural Chase, which Kurt Busch won by eight points over Johnson and 16 over Jeff Gordon.

http://www.scenedaily.com/news/artic...s_The_NFL.html

The "points chase" may be close, but it's not real, it is contrived and people aren't buying into it.

Like the race at Talladega & the "87 lead changes"... big deal.

Comment

Its not contrived, the top 3 guys in the sport right now are the top 3 in points.

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
                  The "points chase" may be close, but it's not real, it is contrived and people aren't buying into it.

Like the race at Talladega & the "87 lead changes"... big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by jackinbox View Post
                    I'm sure F1 is plenty happy getting more viewers than the Super Bowl 18 times per year.
                    True, according to the numbers. But alot of those worldwide F1 numbers are skewed by the fact that many countries have pretty limited viewing choices and there is a somewhat captive audience that is always shown as being F1 viewers. Uncle Bernies numbers are actually pretty manipulated outside of Europe. F1 is basically dead in the United States; if the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can't make a go of it no one can. The Austin F1 race won't last as long as the one at IMS no matter what the contracts say.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Dretti View Post
                      Its not contrived, the top 3 guys in the sport right now are the top 3 in points.
                      So who did Harvick beat up to get that 200 point penalty 6 weeks ago?

A large # of racing fans dont like the Chase, think it IS contrived and dont care enough to see who wins what they perceive to be a manufactured closest finish in history.

Apparently a large enough # of them are voting with their remotes every week to make the ratings drop.

The movers and shakers in NASCAR and all their yes men and women in the racing media can ignore this fact but it doenst change the fact
                      Live like Dave

Comment

A large # of racing fans dont like the Chase, think it IS contrived and dont care enough to see who wins what they perceive to be a manufactured closest finish in history.

Apparently a large enough # of them are voting with their remotes every week to make the ratings drop.
                        I'm one of 'em.
                        ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan View Post
                          I'm one of 'em.
                          Ive said this before on TF...

The hosts on the NASCAR channel on Sirius keep singing the praises of the chase

Keep marvelling at how close the championship is this late in the season

Yet when people call in to say they dont like the Chase they are not listened to

Then they have discussions on the same show devoted to the dropping ratings.

And they have no answers for why people have stopped viewing

If the doctor tells you to stop smoking and you dont listen to him,

dont call him the next week to complain about your sore throat
                          Live like Dave

Comment

Ive said this before on TF...

The hosts on the NASCAR channel on Sirius keep singing the praises of the chase

Keep marvelling at how close the championship is this late in the season

Yet when people call in to say they dont like the Chase they are not listened to

Then they have discussions on the same show devoted to the dropping ratings.

And they have no answers for why people have stopped viewing

If the doctor tells you to stop smoking and you dont listen to him,

dont call him the next week to complain about your sore throat
                            I was a huge NASCAR fan from the late 70's until a few years ago. It rated right behind my life-long love of IndyCar racing. I never missed a race, and if I did I taped it and watched as soon as I could. Not any longer, I haven't seen but maybe 3 complete races all season...one of them being the BY400 which I attended. For me it's not just 'The Chase', it's the GWC, the too numerous red flags, too much wreckin', the aero-egg cars that are only distinguished between the makes by stickers, the super mega-teams, too much Jimmy Johnson, the move away from traditional tracks & dates and too many of the tracks are identical.
                            ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

So who did Harvick beat up to get that 200 point penalty 6 weeks ago?

The movers and shakers in NASCAR and all their yes men and women in the racing media can ignore this fact but it doenst change the fact
                              Maybe they are finally getting the message about the COT, hopefully they wake up about the Chase. It could happen over the offseason. Who knows
                              "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                                hopefully they wake up about the Chase. It could happen over the offseason. Who knows
                                I hope youre right

I fear youre wrong.

The kids running NASCAR in 2010 will let the ratings drop to info-mercial levels before theyd admit to making a mistake about the Chase

Honestly, I think the cars look like Shite, the GWC is garbage, the drivers are too generic & theres too many races

But

if theyd scrap the Chase and the Lucky dog Id be willing to forgive all the other blemishes
                                Live like Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X