Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR wishes its Chase was as competitive as Formula One

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...se_was_as.html

In fact, IndyCar's title was decided in the final race and IndyCar doesn't even have a Chase. And the AMA Superbike championship was decided in the final race at Barber Motorsports Park this year -- once again without a Chase.
    I guess even massive popularity and the ability to dictate rules doesn't guarantee success.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
    http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...se_was_as.html

I guess even massive popularity and the ability to dictate rules doesn't guarantee success.
    I have no doubt Brian France and his minions will do their best to run NASCAR into the ground with their constant knob-dicking with rules and specs.

Comment

I think their problem ,in relation to this, is they have too many races. Plain and simple.
      "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
      " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

Comment

Both have about the same number of drivers still with a chance and 6 points is pretty close anywhere.

How is it the Chase isn't "competitive" again?

Comment

Perhaps I'm not reading this correctly, but I have to ask: Is there a racing series that does NOT dictate the rules?
          "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by mesquite View Post
            Perhaps I'm not reading this correctly, but I have to ask: Is there a racing series that does NOT dictate the rules?
            I think some series have to be much more accommodating of other constituencies in "dictating" rules - unless they are flush with competitors, sponsors, and events, the rules they "dictate" will be bent towards what someone tells them to dictate .
            "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
            ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Jag-lover View Post
              I have no doubt Brian France and his minions will do their best to run NASCAR into the ground with their constant knob-dicking with rules and specs.

They've done a commendable job to this point of doing just that.
              ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

I think some series have to be much more accommodating of other constituencies in "dictating" rules - unless they are flush with competitors, sponsors, and events, the rules they "dictate" will be bent towards what someone tells them to dictate .
                In short ... ALL series (NASCAR, IRL, F1, etc..) dictate the rules?
                "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan View Post
                  They've done a commendable job to this point of doing just that.
                  Very much so.

Comment

Originally posted by lkchris View Post
                    Both have about the same number of drivers still with a chance and 6 points is pretty close anywhere.

How is it the Chase isn't "competitive" again?
                    It is competitive.

Of course the NFL could make every game competetive too if they made the score 21-20 at the Two Minute warning But many NFL fans would stop wathcing becasue theyd realize its a faked form of excitement. Not every football game is a barn burner & some racing fans think seeing one driver destroy the field and wrap it up early is good racing.

Competitive is a very flexible term when they just randomly decide to take 200+ points away from the points leader at an arbitrary date on the calendar.
                    It simply turns many poeple off.
                    Live like Dave

Comment

IMO the problem is the same as it was 30 years ago. Too many points involved, a bad finish or two is much too damaging to a driver's standing. It probably won't happen this year, but they came as close as ever to a possible champion who didn't win a single race. It could very well happen that an eventual champ does not win a Chase race.

Keep the current points structure, just lower the payout so that 26th place is down to 10 points, and 26th through last is a blanket 10 points. A couple early race dropouts (or even DNQs) don't kill you, a hot streak of wins is huge, no more garage-thrash stragglers out there running 120 laps down. If you subscribe to the the time-old gripe of "winning should matter more", this would be the easiest way to do it.
                      "Everyone in front of you is cheatin', and everyone behind you sux!"--nonpareil racer T. Kester

Comment

Even the referenced article mentions this is a rarity for GP. They've had many a year when the title was wrapped up with 4 or 5 to go.
                        Of course then it's lauded by F1 proponents as "letting the purity of the series shine"
                        Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
                          Even the referenced article mentions this is a rarity for GP. They've had many a year when the title was wrapped up with 4 or 5 to go.
                          Of course then it's lauded by F1 proponents as "letting the purity of the series shine"
                          Ive only been watching F1 since 200o so I still consider myself a newbie. But Ive seen races where the pole winner led every lap that werre instant classics. And Ive seen some guys spend 5 or 6 laps trying and failing to get around the car in front of him and it was simply compelling racing.

Purity Schmurity. Good clean racing is light years ahead of following a guy and waitng for the last lap to send him sailing into the SAFEr barrier to make the pass.
                          Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
                            That was the case for NASCAR too. Who is anyone kidding there?

Just two years ago, the F1 title came down to the last turn on the last lap at the last race between two guys who had never before raced for a title. NASCAR's championship has gone to the same guy 4 years in a row even with their stupid playoff system. Funny how the series that doesn't tamper with what doesn't need to be tampered has no issues with collapsing ratings and gets countries to throw tens of millions of dollars at them in a recession while giving fans compelling title chases. You'd think there'd be a lesson there.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                              Ive only been watching F1 since 200o so I still consider myself a newbie. But Ive seen races where the pole winner led every lap that werre instant classics. And Ive seen some guys spend 5 or 6 laps trying and failing to get around the car in front of him and it was simply compelling racing.

Purity Schmurity. Good clean racing is light years ahead of following a guy and waitng for the last lap to send him sailing into the SAFEr barrier to make the pass.
                              One of the most emotionally powerful races anywhere of all time was Japan '94, a pre-safety car "cumulative time" race, where an on-track lead pass wasn't even made. Look it up.

Racing is compelling. Adding gimmicks slightly raises the chances of a classic, while greatly raising the chances of it being considered a farce.
                              "Everyone in front of you is cheatin', and everyone behind you sux!"--nonpareil racer T. Kester

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X