Gateway gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway gone

Gateway International Raceway will close its doors after this weekend's NNS event.

I guess some ovals aren't popular enough either.

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/nn...-that-couldnt/
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

I was at that track for the first CART race. Worst track I've ever been to by a wide margin.

Chris Pook built this thing on the super-cheap and it showed.

Comment

I'm gonna reduce it to it's simplest terms and say that a race track closing is never good. Especially an oval.
      "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

A viable open wheel series would have gone a long ways towards keeping this track in business.

Comment

Originally posted by mdkiel View Post
          I'm gonna reduce it to it's simplest terms and say that a race track closing is never good. Especially an oval.
          Must be TG's fault!!!

**Not aimed at you md!

Comment

Originally posted by jabba19 View Post
            A viable open wheel series would have gone a long ways towards keeping this track in business.
            Modify that to a top level open wheel series dedicated to oval racing and you'd be right.

Gateway was one of several ovals built when there were two top tier open wheel series with a stated intent to go oval racing. Now we have none, and it closed.
            I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

I attended several IndyCar races at Gateway and liked the track and enjoyed the races. I hate seeing any race track close and especially an oval. I wish that IndyCar would have made another effort to return to Gateway, especially in light of the falling out with ISC-owned tracks.

Deviating from the topic, I wish that Indycar would return to Nashville. I fear what's happened with Gateway could eventually happen to Nashville as well.
              ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by don7031 View Post
                Modify that to a top level open wheel series dedicated to oval racing and you'd be right.

Gateway was one of several ovals built when there were two top tier open wheel series with a stated intent to go oval racing. Now we have none, and it closed.
                You are correct, there is no top level open wheel series anymore and the former is now a semi-pro road racing series with some ovals added to the schedule to give the illision of a balance series for image sake.

Oval racing is really an after thought for the series while the ride buyers and the team owners hold their noses during those events. Yet the series and the kool aid drinkers wonder why no one shows up at the oval races anymore.
                "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan View Post
                  I fear what's happened with Gateway could eventually happen to Nashville as well.
                  AFAIK, Gateway has been charged off by Dover Motorsports.

Dover Motorsports is on the hook for the public bonds that paid for infrastructure around Nashville Superspeedway. Currently, they're liable for about $21M. AFAIK, the bond payments are made directly from the track's sales tax and "incremental" property tax revenue; Dover Motorsports is responsible for any shortfall.
                  Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                    You are correct, there is no top level open wheel series anymore and the former is now a semi-pro road racing series with some ovals added to the schedule to give the illision of a balance series for image sake.

Oval racing is really an after thought for the series while the ride buyers and the team owners hold their noses during those events. Yet the series and the kool aid drinkers wonder why no one shows up at the oval races anymore.

Give it a rest, stay with the topic. Your repetitive rant is ludicrous. Can you contribute something constructive and factual just once?

Comment

Give it a rest, stay with the topic. Your repetitive rant is ludicrous. Can you contribute something constructive and factual just once?
                      Everything I stated is factual. Take the blinders off.

I will personally miss Gateway. I wish Gateway and Nashville never left the schedule.

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Oval racing is really an after thought for the series
                        Except for at least two of the three biggest races on the calendar, depending on how you rank Indy and Texas against Long Beach, etc.
                        Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
                          Except for at least two of the three biggest races on the calendar, depending on how you rank Indy and Texas against Long Beach, etc.
                          I agree with that.

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Everything I stated is factual. Take the blinders off.

I will personally miss Gateway. I wish Gateway and Nashville never left the schedule.
                            Factual in Chris's world, not the real world. I give you that the Indycar Series isn't the most popular but to say it's a semi-pro series isn't factual by any stretch of the imagination. One less oval race than road/street races isn't an illusion of balance, except to you. Don't hi-jack the thread for repetitive rants that don't even deal with the topic.

Comment

Factual in Chris's world, not the real world. I give you that the Indycar Series isn't the most popular but to say it's a semi-pro series isn't factual by any stretch of the imagination. One less oval race than road/street races isn't an illusion of balance, except to you. Don't hi-jack the thread for repetitive rants that don't even deal with the topic.
                              We can agree to disagree.

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X