Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i guess it's hard to run a racing serie....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i guess it's hard to run a racing serie....

The Superleague Formula is a spec-serie with the teams running in the teamcolours of famous soccer-clubs. I really dislike the link with soccer (announcers screaming "AC Milan is making a pass..." ), but the racing is actually pretty good (750hp engines and nice action).

I did have my doubts about the whole business-side of it, i've seen to many series like champcar and a1gp bust. This serie also has no tv-presence, no manufacturer support, no promotional partner, high purses, etc. etc., so i wondered if it would be possible to break even. According to this link (in spanish) they have lost a lot of money:
    http://www.expansion.com/2010/08/05/...281038666.html

They lost EUR 25 million in 2008 and 11 million in 2009. They issued/sold shares for EUR 20 million in 2010 to new investors. 1 euro is roughly $1.40

Well you can imagine that starting a completely new racing series has a large initial investment, much like anything new. I just hope SuperLeague lasts longer than A1GP... A1GP was just coming into its own when it shut down.

Comment

Well RPM racing ran their World series by Nissan for a lot less, same as Formula Superfund (out of the top of my head $5 million was mentioned in business f1, a couple of years ago). But that was running costs of the serie, not building and running 18 750hp cars.

I wonder why when series like Superfund and Superleague are started no manufacturer is willing to get involved? Formula superfund had their finances in order, had run 9 or 10 events each year, and just had low car counts (+-15 per race). A manufacturer could have badge the zytek engine in return for promotional support and getting a few extra cars in the field. Low investment, but could be a huge return (like renault has with its world series, altough i don't know what they pay)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X