TV Ratings for Season Are In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Ratings for Season Are In

Though well below what ESPN and ESPN2 averaged two years ago, IndyCar viewership rose by double-digits on Versus this season.

Versus averaged 366,000 viewers for 12 IndyCar races this season, up 16% from 11 races on the network last year (315,000), but down 53% from 11 races on ESPN and ESPN2 in 2008 (778,000).

The final race of the season, Saturday's Cafأ©s do Brasil Indy 300, earned 360,000 viewers -- up 34% from last year (268,000).
    ABC averaged 2.696 million viewers for its four-race coverage (a fifth race was postponed due to rain), up 2% from five races last year (2.636 mil).

Of the 14 IndyCar races that can be compared to last year, eight had increases in viewership and six had declines. Comparisons were unavailable for two new races -- the Sأ£o Paulo Indy 300 and the Indy Grand Prix of Alabama -- as well as the rained-out Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
    http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010...on-versus.html

Not good, but better than I thought. Not that it really matters - wake me up when the ratings double or triple (or quadruple) - that will really mean good news.

But thanks for posting this
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Happy that they are up. Trend needs to accelerate next year. Unfortunately, I'm not sure why it would.
      Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, Gateway, IRP - 70

Comment

I wonder why The 500 is down...

Comment

Problem is that the Versus numbers need to double before they will even become relevant... Your cable viewers were reduced by more than 50% in one season. For this TV property to be anything more than 'distressed', they at least need to get to a point that is in the same ballpark of the ESPN/ESPN2 viewership of 2008. 412,000 'missing' viewers cast a pretty big shadow over ROI and CPM figures... that's a tough one to spin in any biz.

jmho, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan View Post
            I wonder why The 500 is down...
            Must be that lousy ISC "promotion" .... oh ... yeah, it ain't an ISC track ....

Comment

It says the races on the regular ABC TV channel is averaging 2.696 million viewers for there four races. That means that way over 2 million people arent getting counted for the races that are on the versus channel. These are the people that have to watch on the internet or in bars or other peoples houses. Thats why the IRL has to get someone better to do there ratings for them. You have to be able to count all of those people too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Stratton View Post
                It says the races on the regular ABC TV channel is averaging 2.696 million viewers for there four races. That means that way over 2 million people arent getting counted for the races that are on the versus channel. These are the people that have to watch on the internet or in bars or other peoples houses. Thats why the IRL has to get someone better to do there ratings for them. You have to be able to count all of those people too.
                The comparatively HUGE rating for the Indy500 skews the ABC numbers.

This years ratings for ABC ...

3.6 Indy500
                0.7 Kansas
                0.9 Watkins Glen
                0.9 Toronto
                0.6 St. Pete

By yoiur logic, there are apparently several million people who are apparently able to watch the Indy500, but then are held hostage by NASCAR goons and not allowed to watch the other ABC broadcast races.

Doesn't work that way.

The Nielsen ratings tell the story on ABC alone. Millions of people who have access and watch the Indy500 don't bother with the other races. Less than a quarter of the Indy500 viewers watch the other IICS races on a widely available broadcast channel.

You're dreaming if you think there are "millions" watching Versus and not being counted. Nielsen has over 60 years of experience in delivering ratings information, and they are highly respected in the marketing world for the quality product. Nielsen has for years surveyed far more than just TV numbers, they do all kinds of marketing surveys for their clients, and again are well respected for the quality of their work.

Comment

I note two things:

1. I wonder why this article talks about average number of viewers and does not mention the ratings on Vs that most people (and sponsors) would readily understand, not once. Hmmmmmm....

2. Average viewers on Vs are still less than half, that's right, half, what they were on ESPN two seasons ago. Brilliant move, just brilliant....

Comment

Originally posted by BadazzZ06 View Post
                    Nielsen has for years surveyed far more than just TV numbers, they do all kinds of marketing surveys for their clients, and again are well respected for the quality of their work.
                    Love em or hate em, those are the numbers that count to prospective sponsors.
                    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Exactly. At the end of the CART years i read an article in which was stated that 1 million viewers for a race was worth on average a little bit more then $100.000 in sponsorship for a team. This was according to the marketing expert the value sponsors put on this viewership in motorsport.

At that time o-w races got between 0.7 and 1.3 ratings on the big networks, and I remember that at that time i did some calculations that what if the 2 series unite and this positive vibe would ensure that all races (excluding indy) would get 1.0 rating per race. This would implie that a 16 race schedule including Indy would only be worth $2-2.5 million. Add in purses and your looking at $2.5 million in value minimal and on average a maximum of $4.5 million.

It actually pretty much explains why an IRL team like CURB/Boat were running competitively on a budget of $1.6 million (in i think 2002).

Comment

It says the races on the regular ABC TV channel is averaging 2.696 million viewers for there four races.
                        Unfortunately that average is the same as putting your head in the oven and your feet in the freezer and saying "on the average, I'm comfortable". Look at the standard deviation and you'll see that average is rather meaningless in this case.
                        BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

RB should be going after the casual Indy 500 tv fans first (before the fans lost to the cabs in the 90s), or even the Indy 500 crowd itself. If all those people who attend would watch every week the ratings would go up a huge %.
                          "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
                          " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

Comment

Originally posted by Formula Indy View Post
                            RB should be going after the casual Indy 500 tv fans first (before the fans lost to the cabs in the 90s), or even the Indy 500 crowd itself. If all those people who attend would watch every week the ratings would go up a huge %.
                            The key is creating a compelling hook/cliffhanger on the Indy 500 TV broadcast to get fans to watch Texas in 2 weeks.

I've got a couple ideas that I'm going to be posting on the main forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                              Unfortunately that average is the same as putting your head in the oven and your feet in the freezer and saying "on the average, I'm comfortable". Look at the standard deviation and you'll see that average is rather meaningless in this case.
                              What really is misleading about the ABC average is, they are averaging Indy against 3 other races this year (St. Pete was rained out and moved to ESPN) versus (oops) 4 other races last year. Thus there are fewer races to drag down the average.

Comparing 2010 against 2009, Indy was down, the average for the non-Indy ABC races was down, but the averge for all of the races was up 2%! Amazing.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X