colleges involved in indycar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colleges involved in indycar?

No idea how i stumbled onto this, and couldn't find a topic discussing it, so just started a new one:

He says its high time for someone in the IndyCar Series to look seriously at launching the North American College Racing Association.
    “Colleges have corporate connections and they have endowments,â€‌ said Morris, a regular contributor for AutoRacing1.com. “Colleges have resources that would dwarf most Indy Lights and IndyCar teams.â€‌

Colleges could use their labs, land, money and connections to compete very nicely alongside existing professional teams, Morris said. And the participating schools would get something back for their investment that they badly need.

“College education systems are in dire need of applied studies for their engineering, marketing and sales courses,â€‌ Morris said.
    And with a little elbow grease, Morris said, the school could make its race program self-supporting.
    http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2010/03...AMS/post/18978

I'm not sold on this format, but like aspects of the idea. The colleges would give a major marketing advantage and this could actually give acces to a new potential target audience (the students). Whatever the format imo it would at least be necessary to be some kind of partnership where the students have an active role in it (simply putting a sticker of Notre Dame on the car won't work imo).

I don't think colleges will jump on this bandwagon if they have to invest themself, and imo it would potentially be way more interesting if it would be done for Indycar (and not indy lights), but maybe some workable format is possible?

Off course there are a lot of potential problems and issues with this idea, but also potentially a lot of upside? So what do you guys think of it?

Students and schools are much more interested in "new" technologies such as battery technologies, hydrogen fuel cells, computer management systems for engine and electrical system controls, LED technologies for lighting, glass cockpit instrumentation, radio technologies such as Bluetooth to eliminate wiring ... and on and on ....

If you think Indycar is "relevant" in the real world ... think again.

The ICONIC commitee choice to lock Indycar into another few years of "same old same old" technology ... Internal combustion engine in a chassis dictated by Dallara closed off any chance that advanced engineering students would have any interest in the series.

Comment

Ok, that makes sense that the colleges would like to develop this themself.

So how about having 1 standard tub and having multiple colleges each develop the cars further? Have 10-15 teams/franchises each partner up with an university. Instead of the team paying dallara $450-500k (which is what the current car costs) per car, have them buy 4 cars a year (so a 2 driver team) from the college they partnered up with for $2 million a year (excluding spares). Use the standard tub for every college and have the colleges each develop the car further. No rules (apart from safety and no more spending then the $2 million), just be innovative and spent it on whatever the students thinks gives them an advantage. Or maybe have rules in which it is stated that a certain technology should be used (like the mentioned led-technology or glass cockpit instrumentation) .

Again, just brainstorming here.

Comment

Originally posted by Roninho View Post
        Again, just brainstorming here.
        You should have been on the ICONIC committee ... they pretty much closed the door to anything like this.

I've said all along that they should have opened up the engine rules to allow different types of "engines" in a "standard" Dallara chassis. Diesel direct injection ?? Run it. Hybrid technologies ??? Run it. Battery only or fuel cells powering electric motors ?? Run it.

Indycar had a chance to do something to make itself "relevant" to vehicle manufacturers and university/private reserachers and developers. Instead, they have locked the series into several more years of Dallara/Honda spec racing ... I can't tell you how flat out freaking stupid that was.

Comment

Apparently nobody has heard of the SAE College Design Series...

There are several projects...:

Formula SAE

SAE Aero Design

Baja SAE Series

SAE Clean Snowmobile

SAE SuperMileage

Am I the only one here who actually stays in contact with my alumni association....?

Comment

Originally posted by use2know View Post
            Apparently nobody has heard of the SAE College Design Series...

There are several projects...:

Formula SAE

Am I the only one here who actually stays in contact with my alumni association....?
            I have heard of Formula Student (which is the european/german version of Formula SAE). I'm not sure for all the teams, but as far as i know the 2 teams from Universities from Holland are not run under the guidance of the universities, but is run by a group of enthousiastic students and they get some support (they are allowed to use the name of the university) but no money. Budget is very limited (couple of $10k's). To be honest i don't think you could compare it to what is suggested in the article, and certainly not what i suggested in my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by BadazzZ06 View Post
              You should have been on the ICONIC committee ... they pretty much closed the door to anything like this.

I've said all along that they should have opened up the engine rules to allow different types of "engines" in a "standard" Dallara chassis. Diesel direct injection ?? Run it. Hybrid technologies ??? Run it. Battery only or fuel cells powering electric motors ?? Run it.

Indycar had a chance to do something to make itself "relevant" to vehicle manufacturers and university/private reserachers and developers. Instead, they have locked the series into several more years of Dallara/Honda spec racing ... I can't tell you how flat out freaking stupid that was.
              Yeah, I must say i absolutely prefer non-spec racing and i believe in the long run it will increase interest in the serie, but someone has to pay for this. That means either get manufacturer involvement, or get other parties involved that would either bring the budget or increase the marketability of the serie (and thus sponsorship).

Comment

Originally posted by Roninho View Post
                I have heard of Formula Student (which is the european/german version of Formula SAE). I'm not sure for all the teams, but as far as i know the 2 teams from Universities from Holland are not run under the guidance of the universities, but is run by a group of enthousiastic students and they get some support (they are allowed to use the name of the university) but no money. Budget is very limited (couple of $10k's). To be honest i don't think you could compare it to what is suggested in the article, and certainly not what i suggested in my previous post.
                You need a way in, so to speak... With the SAE programs, there is a basic groundwork with connections directly to the engineering departments so you don't have to start from scratch. Consider them 'gateway' programs for your bigger idea.

Now unfortunately, to address the "why" and "how much" for such a program, there is NO way a major University spends the kind of money this would need for the sole sake of 'marketing' or 'exposure'... This would have to be run off of an endowment or major grant. Major universities get their exposure through Div. 1 sports programs, not through engineering projects and this type of thing comes nowhere close to getting the type of exposure that a BCS bowl game generates...

Comment

Originally posted by use2know View Post
                  Now unfortunately, to address the "why" and "how much" for such a program, there is NO way a major University spends the kind of money this would need for the sole sake of 'marketing' or 'exposure'... This would have to be run off of an endowment or major grant. Major universities get their exposure through Div. 1 sports programs, not through engineering projects and this type of thing comes nowhere close to getting the type of exposure that a BCS bowl game generates...
                  Totally agree, that was one of the flaws i saw in the idea as proposed in the article. In my suggestion an indycarteam would pay a college to develop a car (and only other colleges with the same budget are allowed to develop a car). That way it wouldn't cost the colleges money and they get free promotion (no matter how much indy has declined, the university will get a lot of attention once they are 1 of 15 colleges that run cars in the Indy500) and an engineering project in return (and as i suggested i could see other departments (marketing studies for example) also be part of this).

But would a more open rulebook like the LMP/LMP2 sportcars rules be challenging enough for an engineering project for the colleges?

Comment

Didn't know this but apparently a lmp1 sportscar built by an university and its students. They raced in the 24hrs at le mans. Quite cool actually.

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...736045,00.html

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X