Motorsports Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorsports Reality

So one of my 35ish neighbors who's a good guy, sports fan, family man and pretty much the average fellow helps me move my (too heavy for me to try) compressor out of the garage and down to the shops.
    He feels compelled to be sociable and talk a little racing and I say very little in my best Margaret Mead anthropological fashion so as not to pollute his thoughts and words.
    'Watches the Daytona 500, The Indy 500 and loves Talladega' that's it, nada mas.
    And mentions Danica, Earnhart Jr, Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson, that's it.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

You get the feeling there may come the day that there's the Daytona 500, the Indy 500 and maybe one race at Talledega and that's it, nada mas; all run with the same kind of car, featuring the ballsiest men or women from bullrings across the land...

Hey, would be so bad? Really now?
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

Comment

i can probably guess the point of this thread, but i'd rather ask the original poster to clearly state it so i don't jump to any wrong conclusions.
      http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

Take him to a short track.
        Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by carl s View Post
          ...I say very little in my best Margaret Mead anthropological fashion so as not to pollute his thoughts and words.
          Awshum. I know that. I do that too Allathatime.
          "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
          ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

When I tried watching NASCAR, back in the 90's, Talledega was my favorite, too - I liked the speed.
            "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
              Take him to a short track.
              Bring him to Camp and Brew, and we'll pollute his thoughts and words for ya

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by carl s View Post
                So one of my 35ish neighbors who's a good guy, sports fan, family man and pretty much the average fellow helps me move my (too heavy for me to try) compressor out of the garage and down to the shops.
                He feels compelled to be sociable and talk a little racing and I say very little in my best Margaret Mead anthropological fashion so as not to pollute his thoughts and words.
                'Watches the Daytona 500, The Indy 500 and loves Talladega' that's it, nada mas.
                And mentions Danica, Earnhart Jr, Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson, that's it.
                At least he is watching racing. Most sports fans have zero interest in the sport. I see no problem with what the guy said. I would engage him after the next Talladega race and see what he thought about it.
                "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

He just a very occasional, casual fan...a lot of folks are like him.

Comment

Some race fans and way too many around here are too close to the flame and staring too intently to be able to understand that not everyone is a potential fan. I wouldn't call the neighbor guy anything but typical of a non fan. He knows the biggest events, some of the big names, that's what you get. It's why Daytona gets the highest NASCAR ratings, Indy a rating four times the other races, Danica, Jr., Jimmie and Jeff are on so many commercials.

You take that guy to a short track and he's going to say, "That was crazy, with all that dirt you could hardly see half the time. So at least I went once." And he won't become an instant fan. It just isn't that easy. A friend of mine in the Camaro club knew I went to all kinds of races and asked if I had extra tickets to let him know. He went to Milwaukee for the Busch race in 94 and the CART race in 95 and saw Paul Tracy win for NHR. I don't think he had a bucket list but he just wanted to see what they were like in person. After that we talked about what races I was going to but he never asked about going.

I hate golf, but I watch the last hole of the Masters, I recognize the big names. I'm never going to be a fan if you took me a tournament or held two guns to my head.

I know most people think getting people to the races is the first step but I completely disagree. The first step is getting them to hear about the sport in a way that catches their attention other than the racing, second is getting them to watch it on TV and once they have an interest they'll find their way to a track. There just isn't any size group of potential new fans that wakes up and says, 'I've never watched racing but where is some exciting racing for me to go see today?'
                    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                    "They're criminals"
                    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Yes, the point of the thread is to acknowledge the current reality of motorsports popularity amongst the general population.
                      I would say it's a hard nut to crack for the promoter/financer/track owner/car owner/sponsor.

It also puts the internicine squabbling amongst ourselves in perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                        At least he is watching racing. Most sports fans have zero interest in the sport. I see no problem with what the guy said. I would engage him after the next Talladega race and see what he thought about it.
                        Margaret Mead would say that sours the data.

Comment

Yeah, well, she needs to get out more.

And go to a race.

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
                            Yeah, well, she needs to get out more.

And go to a race.
                            :>)

Comment

Is that a proboscis monkey face, or are you just glad to see me?

Brian's Wish

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X