20 million to win the Double

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 million to win the Double

Has it been officially announced or just rumored?
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Just rumored but I do not see it ever happening. Which sponsor of a big time NASCAR driver would let their investment step into an IndyCar and risk injury? And I do not see any NASCAR driver with a remote chance of winning it (not even R. Gordon).

Comment

The correct phrase I believe is 'being worked on'. Which means it sounds exciting but since no one is putting up the money, NASCAR doesn't see a benefit for them, equally as important Bruton Smith isn't changing his starting time, no IndCar driver would be able to find a one off ride capable of qualifying for the 7 available spots in the 600, it's never going to happen.
      "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
      "They're criminals"
      "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
        Just rumored but I do not see it ever happening. Which sponsor of a big time NASCAR driver would let their investment step into an IndyCar and risk injury? And I do not see any NASCAR driver with a remote chance of winning it (not even R. Gordon).
        That could be...we know how Indy winners fare in Cup...

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan View Post
          I guess it would be interesting to see a Cup winner in an IndyCar then, but on the other hand, I don't watch Cup (along with the rest of the 95% of America that also doesn't).
          "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
          ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Z28 View Post
            The correct phrase I believe is 'being worked on'. Which means it sounds exciting but since no one is putting up the money, NASCAR doesn't see a benefit for them, equally as important Bruton Smith isn't changing his starting time, no IndCar driver would be able to find a one off ride capable of qualifying for the 7 available spots in the 600, it's never going to happen.
            It was never about Indycar drivers racing at Charlotte. IMO

It was about bringing the best American drivers to Indianapolis. Those drivers bring fans.

This is the best idea that AOW has had since the creation of the IRL in 1994.

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
              This is the best idea that AOW has had since the creation of the IRL in 1994.
              Well, we hope it works out better than that

I think it would be better if they could attract that talent on their own, but if this would work as a temporary patch, that would be nice.

Which is probably why it won't be allowed to happen.

I heard Randy Bernard and Bruton Smith were all for it. Gosh, no word from ISC yet
              "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
              ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
                I guess it would be interesting to see a Cup winner in an IndyCar then, but on the other hand, I don't watch Cup (along with the rest of the 95% of America that also doesn't).
                Which is considerably more than those who follow that series that races at Indy...
                Last edited by Sybil D. Sobydianz; 09-25-2010, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan View Post
                  one of 'em won a cup race this year

Comment

Originally posted by redmist View Post
                    one of 'em won a cup race this year
                    Heck, his grandmother could have won that one...

Comment

Originally posted by Z28 View Post
                      equally as important Bruton Smith isn't changing his starting time,
                      In the annual IMS ticket holder survey, one of the questions was "what start time do you like...11, noon, 1?"

Factoring in other reported discussions, it's clear IMS is at least considering moving their start time earlier.

Honestly though, September is still a long way off for announcements for the 2011 Indianapolis 500. IMS just wrapped up their season of events a few weeks ago with the MotoGP race...May isn't the only thing that goes on around there. These sorts of things I bet will be ironed out and announced around Christmastime.
                      Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
                        Jeff Gordon agrees with you...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                          Those drivers bring fans.
                          Those drivers will also have to bring a pair as well....which is why many wont try it
                          We want to relate to Americana. I went to the Indy 500 and that was Americana. I sat in various turns and I didn’t see any champagne drinkers, but I saw a lot of beer drinkers. We appeal to the wine and cheese crowd, but we also appeal to the masses – the beer drinkers.” Randy Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by SnakePitLounge View Post
                            Those drivers will also have to bring a pair as well....which is why many wont try it
                            Right

If Marty Roth, Milka Duno, and EJ Viso can do it I am sure the average NASCAR driver will have no problems with it.

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
                              Jeff Gordon agrees with you...
                              Found the quote...

"To me they could offer $100 M to run both of those races or win both of those races and it wouldn't affect my decision because I'm only going to go to Indy if I feel like I can be competitive. And to be competitive, I would need to be in those cars all of the time."
                              - Jeff Gordon on The Double

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X