Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hampshire ratings out and they're not very pretty

Per Jayski

• New Hampshire TV Ratings: ESPN's live telecast of the Sylvania 300 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Sunday, Sept. 19, earned a final national household coverage rating of 2.6 (U.S. rating 2.3), averaging 3,676,828 viewers (households?), according to the Nielsen Company. Last year's race telecast aired on ABC and earned a final U.S. rating of 3.2 (ESPN).
      The overnights were a 2.1/5, down from last years 2.6/5 overnight with a final of 3.2/7 and 5.04 million viewers. For more see my 2010 TV Ratings page.(9-21-2010)

You can't blame this on going against the NFL because they've always gone against the NFL on this weekend. 1.5 million viewer drop in 1 year, that's staggering. RB has got to do something about this TV contract, Indycar needs to take advantage of this.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Switching to ESPN from ABC didn't help.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Per Wikipedia:

As of September 1, 2010, there are an estimated 115.9 million television households in the United States. A single national ratings point represents one percent of the total number, or 1,159,000 households for the 2010–11 season.[2] Nielsen re-estimates the number of TV-equipped households each August for the upcoming television season.
      Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
        You can't blame this on going against the NFL because they've always gone against the NFL on this weekend. 1.5 million viewer drop in 1 year, that's staggering. RB has got to do something about this TV contract, Indycar needs to take advantage of this.
        Take advantage of what, a decline in people watching motorsports on TV? Or is their evidence other motorsports are swooping up the former NASCAR viewers?
        Thanks Downforce!

Comment

Something tells me the days of the NASCAR mega TV deals are over. So is the thought of competing on even footing with the NFL. That's ok with me, I watched NASCAR long before it was cool and will continue to watch long after.
          "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Qdoba Addict View Post
            Take advantage of what, a decline in people watching motorsports on TV? Or is their evidence other motorsports are swooping up the former NASCAR viewers?
            The latter obviously. Indycar has been garnering around a 1 on ESPN without breathing hard. We've heard PT discuss how Geico would promote more in Indycar but there isn't enough eyeballs and this being the reason they would only do the ESPN/ABC races. The more Nascar dips the more Indycar looks like an attractive option for sponsorships. Granted I don't believe NASCAR ratings can drop much more than their current status but better ratings for us or even current ESPN rating make a more attractive option
            I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Comment

Originally posted by mdkiel View Post
              Something tells me the days of the NASCAR mega TV deals are over. So is the thought of competing on even footing with the NFL. That's ok with me, I watched NASCAR long before it was cool and will continue to watch long after.
              Sure hope the folks running NASCAR are as clear-headed about the sport as you are.
              "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
              --Danny Noonan

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
                The latter obviously. Indycar has been garnering around a 1 on ESPN without breathing hard.
                The IZOD Indycar series isn't on ESPN, it's on ABC and Versus.
                I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sylvania 300 Draws Lowest Rating Ever For Chase For The Cup Race

The first race of NASCAR's Chase For The Cup put up extremely low numbers on ESPN.

Sunday's Sylvania 300 drew a 2.3 U.S. rating and 3.677 million viewers on ESPN, down 28% in ratings and 27% in viewership from last year (3.2, 5.044 mil) and down 39% and 40%, respectively, from 2008 (3.8, 6.098 mil).
                  Additionally, this is the seventh race of the season to draw less than five million viewers, compared to just two such races all of last year.

Overall, of the 22 NASCAR races that can be compared to last year, 17 have had a decline in ratings and 16 have had a decline in viewership.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010...ever.html#more

I'm going to need Brain France to interpret that for me so I understand it more clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by don7031 View Post
                    The IZOD Indycar series isn't on ESPN, it's on ABC and Versus.
                    I forgot when Indycar goes for 5 races it always on ABC unless there's a rain out like St Pete. My point is still the same. Their pulling around a 1 without breathing hard on ABC. Get the other races on VS to a bigger outlet and you attract more eyeballs who are currently put off by the VS low tv numbers.

Don't get me wrong I don't think we can suddenly overtake NASCAR within a few years. Its about growth and sustainability

Comment

Originally posted by skypigeon View Post
                      Sure hope the folks running NASCAR are as clear-headed about the sport as you are.
                      I'm still reeling over being called "clear-headed" on TF. Where does that rank in comparison to "Religious Automaton" and "Stalker"?

:izod2
                      "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by skypigeon View Post
                        Clear headed or not, the people paying NASCAR for TV rights next time will be clear headed when the time comes to throw out a dollar amount.
                        They were talking about the disappointing ratings for NHIS on the NASCAR channel this morning on Sirius.
                        They had no explanation for it except maybe the NFL sucked all the air out of the room.
                        IMHO, they can talk all day long about how the Chase has made every race important and 10 teams are still in the running. But I still see it as a gimmick. And many old Skoolers call in to that channel and say the same thing. Personally I find it stooooopid that #29 was destroying everyone all season and last wek he was dropped to 2nd and pretty much was given a 250+ point penalty for nothing
                        Maybe many just say whatever and check out the football
                        Theres only 16 football games so every game is critical.

If theyre talking about it on the NASCAR radio show, it must be a topic of conversation in shops around Charlotte/Mooresville this week
                        Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                          They had no explanation for it except maybe the NFL sucked all the air out of the room.
                          I get kind of an ironic chuckle out of somebody sucking all the air out of NASCAR's room.

Comment

I get kind of an ironic chuckle out of somebody sucking all the air out of NASCAR's room.
                            That didnt even occur to this old Dirt mod guy
                            Nice catch
                            Live like Dave

Comment

I'm still reeling over being called "clear-headed" on TF. Where does that rank in comparison to "Religious Automaton" and "Stalker"?

:izod2
                              Wrong forum--CE's down there, by the outhouses.
                              "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                              --Danny Noonan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X