Speed commentators getting sponsors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed commentators getting sponsors?

Sorry if this has been covered already, but...

Am I the only one that has lost a lot of respect for Speed since they started letting their commentators sell their shirts and jackets to the highest bidding company? I always knew that DW was biased toward Toyota, but now he is actually wearing Toyota branding while on the air. And Jimmy Spencer appears to have sold out to Dodge recently, as well. Jeff Hammond apparently gets a really good deal at Discount Tire.

Seems to me if you are going to be an unbiased journalist (yes, that is a big "if"), you shouldn't be sponsored by any of the companies you are reporting on.

I think Speed should pay their guys enough that they don't have to go shopping for sponsorship. Pretty low class to me.

Originally posted by fanforlife
    Sorry if this has been covered already, but...

Am I the only one that has lost a lot of respect for Speed since they started letting their commentators sell their shirts and jackets to the highest bidding company? I always knew that DW was biased toward Toyota, but now he is actually wearing Toyota branding while on the air. And Jimmy Spencer appears to have sold out to Dodge recently, as well. Jeff Hammond apparently gets a really good deal at Discount Tire.

Seems to me if you are going to be an unbiased journalist (yes, that is a big "if"), you shouldn't be sponsored by any of the companies you are reporting on.

I think Speed should pay their guys enough that they don't have to go shopping for sponsorship. Pretty low class to me.
    Hey it's SPEED whadya expect? Your last sentence sums it up.
    ...Always follow the money

Comment

None of those guys are journalists, they are part of the "show". They are essentially entertainers.
      Paul Woods
      IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Comment

Originally posted by flyingpylon
        None of those guys are journalists, they are part of the "show". They are essentially entertainers.
        Agreed. They should have no more or less of an opportunity as the drivers to sell spots on their bodies. It's not like they're impartial media or something like that.

Comment

Larry Mac should be sponsored by the lumber company that builds the box he stands on.

Comment

I have noticed the Fox guys never say anything about fuel with plugging Sunoco now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
              I have noticed the Fox guys never say anything about fuel with plugging Sunoco now.
              Sunoco is an official NASCAR sponsor, not a commentator sponsor.

Comment

Yup but there has been a change.

'Looks like Stewart is going to pit this lap and get a fresh tank of Sunoco gasoline.'

'The safety crew doesn't want him to go down the pit lane on fire because they know there are dump cans filled with Sunoco fuel.'

Comment

'Looks like Stewart is going to pit this lap and get a fresh tank of Sunoco gasoline.'

'The safety crew doesn't want him to go down the pit lane on fire because they know there are dump cans filled with Sunoco fuel.'
                  Every time I think, "well, they can't possibly shoe-horn in anymore ads," they prove me wrong.

The whole broadcast is just wall-wall advertising.

If you get hot pass, you can see a little more of the race, but not much.

Comment

That's a directive from NASCAR, just like it's now Sprint Cup instead of just "Cup Racing" or "Cup Race".

Comment

It still isn't as cheesy as Rick Benjamin on the Champ Car broadcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigar1
                        If you get hot pass, you can see a little more of the race, but not much.
                        ...like an idiot I spent $100.00 on DirecTV's Hot Pass, and to say that I've been less than impressed would be a tremendously huge understatement. You'd think after spending that kind of money you could see the race without commercial interuptions......WRONG. Just as many and just as frequent as network coverage. I was kinda hoping that this might increase my interest in NASCAR once again, in fact it's done just the opposite.
                        ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

The best value in NASCAR broadcasting is MRN radio coverage, which is now on two (country!) stations here in the Detroit metro area. Turn on the radio, turn off the tube, and enjoy the race while getting something done.
                          Bryan Brothers Racing Team: We'll see you "at the track"!!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X